• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Phenomena!

Years
Rustling_grass.png
Unova_Route_11_Rippling_water_BW.png

Chargestone_Cave_Dust_cloud_BW.png
Driftveil_Drawbridge_shadow_BW.png

In Generation V., a game mechanic known as Phenomenon debuted. This includes rustling grass, rippling water, dust clouds, and shadows of Flying Pokemon. In all of these, rare Pokemon not found under normal circumstances would be encountered. Quite a few Pokemon that can be found even give away a lot of Exp. upon KO'ing them! To top it off, items can even be found under the dust clouds and shadows, making running into them all the more worthwhile!

That said, a few questions relating to Phenomena:

• What's your favorite Phenomenon?
  • If Phenomena appear, do you always run into it or just let it be? (Or does it depend on the type of Phenomenon?)
  • Which Pokemon found only in Phenomena is/are your favorite? (Lists of the Pokemon can be found here, each under the Phenomenon they are found in.)
  • Do you like the addition of Phenomena? Why or why not?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
When it's in the water, I always make a jump for it. I just find these little spots to be so cute, idk why. Plus I can even find Pokemon that only ever evolve by evo-stones, so that's neat, too.

My favorite Pokemon that appear thanks to it would have to be Audino, Vanilluxe (B2W2), the monkeys, Wigglytuff, Stoutland, Throh, Lilligant, Whimsicott, Gothitelle, Azumarill, Magnezone, Lopunny, Delcatty, Slaking, Crobat, and Klinklang. c:

I really like the Phenomenon addition. It gave it a cute little spin on getting Pokemon that would otherwise not be found in the wild in really any other game. Again, wild evo-stone Pokemon. That's crazy! Plus a ton of friendship based evolutions, too.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
I liked it as a way to find items and high-levelled pokémon - Dragonite in Dragonspiral Tower is one I keep hoping to run into.

My favourite is either the water one or the shadows on bridges - among other reasons, they make the most practical sense - a huge Dragon is going to make a far greater effect on the surface of water when swimming close to it than a Magikarp-sized pokémon. Likewise it makes sense to be able to see the shadows of bird pokémon that are low down but not when they're higher (you don't see the shadow of the ISS if it passes between you and the Sun do you?). The other two phenomena make less sense in that why wouldn't you see rustling / dust for all wild pokémon? (apart from completely altering the encounter system, that is :P )

Years
Ah, those were always kinda cool to come across. Usually it'd be Audino, which give EXP for days, others it may be a cool evolution. Sometimes I run into it when I can, but often in caves they're unnecessary Drilbur/Excadrill which gets annoying. >_> My favorite things that can be found in them? Crobat, Azumarill, Tyranitar, Metagross, Reuniclus, Gliscor, Tangrowth, Mamoswine, Unfezant, Lilligant, Whimsicott, and Vanilluxe. Good stuff.

So yeah, I like the addition because otherwise training would suck, and seeing fully evolved stuff in the wild is really cool.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I really liked the phenomena, as they added some surprise and interesting elements to the games. However, I kind of disliked how they were literally the only ways to get many necessary items (evolutionary stones for completing the Pokedex) and EXP. Gen 5's EXP system was pretty bad with that you could really only level up with Audinos, but I'm glad that they put the in anyway.

Years
I liked this little feature, it was one of the many things unique to Unova and I did like all the different Pokemon found using this method. My fave of the Phenomena encounters are Audino and Emolga, but there's also various evolutions of Pokemon as well among them.

My fave form of the Phenomena is the rippling water encountered while surfing (even if most of the encounters are meh). I do like the concept of Phenomena, and I do try and run into it when I can.

Years
I loved the Phenomena feature. It was incredibly useful for level grinding and it was really cool when you found a really rare Pokémon like Metagross which you'd never been able to find in the wild before.

My favourite form of Phenomena would probably be the shaking grass due to Audinos and the wide variety of Pokémon you could find in it.

Years
My favourite would probably be the rustling grass, I always run into that for the chance of Audino experience or on the off-chance of finding a rare Pokémon :) The ones on the water I tend to ignore unless I'm already surfing, flying ones I tend to run into and the dust clouds I avoid like the plague lol, usually they just disrupt whatever cave I'm trying to get out of and I don't have a choice in the matter lol.

My favourite Pokémon that can be found is Ninetales in the rustling grass at Abundant Shrine :) I do like the addition of Phenomena as it reminds me of the hordes you could get in previous games which I was always really unlucky with, so I'm happy they included a similar way to get unusual pokés :)​

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
My Favorite Phenomenon would have to be in the Grass. All them Audino's giving out free XP. I only avoid Phenomenon's that happen in Tunnels. I find the Gems you receive not very helpful (Plates are better). I know that sometimes you have a chance to get Evolution Stones, but they are very rare it's not really worth it. Another good Phenomenon would be the one that happens on bridges allowing you to obtain different wings. The wings become helpful when it comes to increasing stats. I enjoy Phenomenon, I hope it continues to be a game mechanic in future Pokemon games. Same with hidden grotto's.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It was indeed a nice addition, but sadly, I didn't exactly care for it. Usually, I don't look into wild Pokémon; rather, I try avoiding. Only time I'd battle them is when I'm in the mood of capturing one, and aside from that, I'd stay far as I possibly can and whatnot by using Repels. Whenever I play, it's because of story, and wild Pokémon in general is a major staller, and could make it a lot time-consuming for you to get through.

Back