• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gah...AOL Problem. Not mine

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
First off, I have to explain the background behind this. My mom figures that I'm a computer wiz, because I sit at the computer all day long. But in reality, I know nothing at all. But...of course, now all my relatives think I can solve all their computer problems. Gah....I should tell my mom to stop this.

So, my aunt just calle me for help. Apparently her AOL stopped working after she inserted a harmless CD-ROM. Just some disc she got from a wedding planning type place. She still uses the "old" method, so she says that the dial tones won't even start now. @_@ Gah, I have no clue what's wrong, or how to fix it...yet she's giving me her computer this weekend.

Someone please help me out of this.

(NOTE: She uses a laptop)

Brittany

Back?
Years
TRIFORCE89 said:
First off, I have to explain the background behind this. My mom figures that I'm a computer wiz, because I sit at the computer all day long. But in reality, I know nothing at all. But...of course, now all my relatives think I can solve all their computer problems. Gah....I should tell my mom to stop this.

So, my aunt just calle me for help. Apparently her AOL stopped working after she inserted a harmless CD-ROM. Just some disc she got from a wedding planning type place. She still uses the "old" method, so she says that the dial tones won't even start now. @_@ Gah, I have no clue what's wrong, or how to fix it...yet she's giving me her computer this weekend.

Someone please help me out of this.

(NOTE: She uses a laptop)
Word of advice: Tell her that her computer is ****ed. Say it needs professional help because you don't have the means to fix it within your house or something.

Then again, if they think that you are a computer wiz, then they must be... computer un-wizzes?(I tried to say it as nice as possible)

Well if they are un-wizzes(thats such a great word), then it's probably a really simple problem. When you get the comp, just try all the normal stuff for dialup. Check those connection numbers(I forgot exactly what they're called), and make sure they're correct, or try a new one. Make sure the computer recognizes the modem, restart the computer(XD).

What connection do you have? If it's not dialup, then try it on her computer. Set AOL to connect through whatever the other connection is(cable, dsl, whatever). If it doesn't work from the alternet connection, try something simple like reinstalling AOL XD. Now if it does work from that connection, then I think JKaizer is probably right. Either the modem is removed, or her computer just got stupid and forgot about it.(I explain things wonderfully, don't I?)

If all the simple stuff fails, then keep your computer-wiz status strong by telling her the CD-ROM had a crazy virus on it that even a genius like you can't fix. Or just tell her that the nasty people at AOL took it away(Thatd be SO funny)

Blaze

Shine On~
Years
i had AOL Dialup and the same thing happened to me,

What I did: Unistall AOL and re-installed it

What I did once also: See if the connection wires are bad

Why it might not be working: This AOL so it could be from anything even a CD-Rom, once it got so bad for me I just got DSL (actually my dad just ordered it a month ago so they were finally hooking it up like the next day)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Heh, luckily...she forgot to give it to me. But I'm going to save this thread for when she remebers.

BTW, Thanks for all your help so far, guys!

aaaaaa

Just res this thread back up when she eventually gets it to you.

Back