• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your favourite MMO?

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
Years
  • Just as the title suggests, if you have played any sort of MMOs before, which one would you say is your favourite, and why? What features does it have that makes it a favourite?

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • Someone's going to murder me for saying this, but my favorite MMO is Runescape. Yes, the one where you do the same repetitive thing over and over again. I'm not sure why, but it's the only MMO I've kept and and gotten to a decent point, though I'm not that good/crazy. In my humble and incorrect opinion, the graphics give the game some charm. Yup, that's about it :P

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • To answer my own question, my favorite MMO would have to be Leauge of Legends, because I do love the variety of characters, and the 'powers' they have. I honestly just wish that the LoL community was better...

Then again, World of Worldcraft and Minecraft deserves a nice mention as well.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • World of Warcraft. You just have so many things to do in the game that it would take a really long while before you get bored. The game is just so full of stuffs to do :)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • To answer my own question, my favorite MMO would have to be Leauge of Legends, because I do love the variety of characters, and the 'powers' they have. I honestly just wish that the LoL community was better...

Then again, World of Worldcraft and Minecraft deserves a nice mention as well.
    LoL and Minecraft aren't MMOs. lol (Edit: well, I guess that depends on your definition. MMO doesn't necessarily mean MMORPG, but that's what most people would assume, and it seems strange to me to call it one, but w/e.)

I'd probably have to say Eve Online, personally. Has a great community, and the most interesting universe of any MMO ever made imo. The amount of character/ship customization is really nice too.

Back in the day, I would've said runescape, but that game is so awful now, and Jagex is rivaling EA in its terrible-company-ness.

Last edited:

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • Anything that's not Star Trek Online. A money pit, that one.
    Lord of the Rings Online isn't bad, for free-to-play, and you're able to escape the maniacal 12-year-olds from WoW. I've been meaning to try out ArcheAge, should I ever have the time.... It seems interesting. It's like the Fable formula mixed with Asian influence and MMOness.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
    Years
  • As someone who's played a LOT of MMO's over the last ~10years its quite difficult to pick between them. That said, a good 60% are straight up clones and are so generic now that they can be discounted easily.

I would honestly have to say my favorite would be LOTRO, or Lord Of The Rings Online.
    If you have ever read the works of Tolkien, you know just how vast the world and lore is, yet they have managed to replicate it all in exceedingly stunning detail and accuracy. The game is free to play now so I highly suggest that you check it out if you haven't yet, and you enjoy lore/community driven games.

There are plenty of expansions and extras that can be purchased through the ingame store, and are necessary if you intend to get to level-cap. You can either buy the points, or earn them by completing tasks ingame, so it is entirely possible to get all the extra content without paying a penny. Some of the best content is in the expansions, and areas like Fangorn and Lothlorien are truly beautiful.

Gees... I didn't think I would sound like such a sales-woman.
    What I'm trying to say is, if you like LOTR, then check it out.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Guild Wars 2, although I haven't played in the past couple of weeks. For the most part, it's constantly challenging thanks to the level scaling in each area. The low-level world bosses are pretty, although you can sneeze and the Great Jungle Wurm will already be dead. The community is good for the most part, although in the level 80 areas sometimes people whine about how the game was better when it first came out because it was easier. But you can turn map chat off!

Buying the game is actually a very small price to pay because everything is available to everybody; There's no real "free-to-play, pay-to-win" feeling unless you're extremely lazy. You can pick up a gem card at the store, sure, OR you can work for your in-game money and then convert it to gems. The only things that would be worth taking a shortcut to buy are the legendary weapons, but they're so ridiculously expensive (as they should be) that it would cost hundreds, if not thousands, of real dollars to buy one.

tl;dr Everything is challenging and it makes the rewards feel that much better

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I'm gonna have to say WoW I suppose. Rift was really fun for the 2 months I played it, but it turns out having dozens of friends and practically knowing the entire server made WoW more fun even though Rift had superior gameplay IMO. I had a guildie who was on the development team of LOTRO, which was pretty funny.

I only really play MOBAs now..MMORPGs lost their appeal to me after playing WoW from classic to cataclysm.

As for features...I dont know. I guess how exciting the social aspect is. Raiding was awesome when everything went well. Rift had raids but also constant invasions which were loads of fun when half the server had to work together and stuff.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • LoL and Minecraft aren't MMOs. lol (Edit: well, I guess that depends on your definition. MMO doesn't necessarily mean MMORPG, but that's what most people would assume, and it seems strange to me to call it one, but w/e.)

I call games like LoL pretty loosely, I guess. But, if that's the case...

Alongside WoW, Ragnorock Online is a pretty good mention. I would of also said Maplestory, but, nowadays, I suppose you can say I don't like how things are run now.

Years
  • Definitely WoW for me. It's the only MMO I still play on a regular basis (though I do fire up GW2 from time to time, if they have something new that catches my interest). Even with some of its issues at times, it's still one of the most polished MMOs I've ever played. And plus I've been having a blast going through all the new stuff with the people I know on there. X) So fun.

Why I stay with it, aside from the aforementioned people...it has end-game content that actually interests me. I don't want to just level and then let my character languish (like what's happened with GW2, sadly), there's actually stuff for me to do that I want to do, both solo and in groups, that keeps me coming back.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for LOTRO though, even if I don't play it anymore. I played it for a while some time before it went f2p, stopped because I had started getting into WoW (after the Mirkwood expansion, blech) and wasn't going to pay for two MMOs, went back for a bit after it went free. While the gameplay seemed a like like WoW Lite (with a few extra things) to me, it still was fun, and I haven't played anything yet that has music that matches the mood of things as well as LOTRO did.

Back