• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Yellow: Tips for the first Gym?

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
  • I have just gotten to where I face Brock but... I have no idea HOW I'm going to beat him.

I have a lv.8 Pikachuu (well, DUH!), and lv.3 Pidgey and Rattata.

any tips? O_O

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    First Method:
    Go into Viridian Forest, and train it all the way until it becomes a Buterfree. It'll learn confusion and it really helps against fighting brock.

Second Method:
    Go to the route that goes to the Pokemon League, and catch a mankey in the grass and train it till it learns low kick

Third Method:
    Catch a Nidoran and raise it untill it learns Double Kick

They all work :p

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    Get a Mankey its Low kick will own any onix you encounter.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Well, most of those pokemon won't last long term (unless you are looking at a NidoKing/Queen). In MY opinion, I would go with Butterfree as a first choice (Psychic FTW!!) and Mankey as a second (Primeape is helpful with Bruno...).

Super Wario 64

So i herd u liek me?
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    Butterfree, Mankey and the Nidorans can pwn Brock in no time. and i think that both Geodude and Onix don't have rock throw at level 10*Geodude* and Level 12*Onix* for Butterfree too

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    Geodude and Onix don't have rock throw at level 10*Geodude* and Level 12*Onix* for Butterfree too

That's the reason Brock is so hard if you pick Charmander or you're playing Pokemon Yellow. Rock Throw ends up Super-Effective to Fire and Electric Attacks are ineffective to Ground-types.

Well, at least Mankey isn't a version exclusive to Red/Blue. That would suck. >.<

Goatman56

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I just always use Butterfree, I never thought of those other 2 =P.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Asides from getting Mankey and Butterfree, there's always the long way of beating Brock which is what I used to do when I had Pikachu/Charmander. Just by using Growl enough times to weaken their attacks or Sand Attack, (e.g. via sacrificing a Pidgey), then just using up those turns to defeat him with Scratch or Quick Attack. Takes awhile, but it stopped me having to go through getting the other Pokemon.

gotron228

^_^
    Years
  • but the long way isnt aways the best way I never thought of nidoran my friend always said get buterfree it pwns but i didnt know confusion would be super effective so i always used mankey lol.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2008
    I have just gotten to where I face Brock but... I have no idea HOW I'm going to beat him.

I have a lv.8 Pikachuu (well, DUH!), and lv.3 Pidgey and Rattata.

any tips? O_O
    I have a odd strategy for misty, evolve yourself a nidoking! It took me a long time, but misty fell in seconds to my wrath!!!

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2010
    One strategy I have heard of is to raise Pikachu to level 20 to learn slam.

Raising pokes to lvl 20 before first gym would take a lot of time and unneeded effort. Best way to get brock defeated fast, if getting 4-5 pidgeys, and spamming sand attack until they all are down. Altrough Mankey's low kick is nice too. While using Butterfree, remember than rock attacks rapes it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I beat Brock by using Slam..but that took a whole day to get Pikachu up there. Just get a Mankey, and you'll be fine.

Back