• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What made you like Pokemon?

Years
I am really going to be showing my age here. I first started playing pokemon in 97 or 98 (ironically, when I was 7-8 years old) when the red and blue games were released. I got them on Christmas morning, played my entire Christmas break, and have been enjoying the games/watching the anime ever since. I never really let go of the comforting feeling I get from settling down to play. I suppose in a small way, the franchise grew with me in a small way because they expanded the games and kept me captivated through my teenage years and beyond.

Now I'm 22 and still playing... I don't believe I'll ever give it up. ;)

Blaze42

The Spirit of Chaos
Years
I remember it like it was yesterday... My older brother called me into his room to see something. I sat down on the beanbag chair, and on the TV was Pokémon. My tiny brain was blown. How colorful everything was, how cool the different creatures were... Soon after, my dad and I played through the two Shadow Pokémon games... And everything after is history.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I originally liked Pokemon for the show and the cards, but now I like it for the video games (and the anime as well).

Valvatorez

Prinny Instructor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
To be honest? The reason I liked Pokemon initially was because all my friends did. Everyone liked Pokemon back then, it was a nationwide craze...or at least a local area craze, but when you're a kid the entire world revolves around you; I never heard a single bad word about Pokemon when I was younger. Being eight or nine years old at the time, I was a happy little drone content to be a part of it; I didn't even stop to think about it, I just thought something along the lines of "Hey, this is really cool!" and went with it from there. The anime was exciting, the games were fun, and there was nothing quite like bragging about which cards you had. It was something I could share with my friends and it wasn't boring and, at the time, that was more than enough. Who really has a deep reason for doing things at that sort of age? It was all about being cool and not being excluded from social circles. We all banded together around Pokemon. I was no different from any other kid at that age.

These days, I suppose it's partly for nostalgia, and partly because the video games are one of the few constant things in my life: people say they've changed, but really the changes are window dressing and generation hopping: strip the mainstream games right down and they're all identical. They're still fun, in short.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I remember getting Blue version for Christmas the year Pokemon came out, I remember watching the episode Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon on TV, and I remember buying a Jungle set Oddish card from a flea market vendor. Put it all together and you have a fan. Now, what made me become a fan to this day...?

I just loved the idea of catching my own little monsters and having endless possibilities with team building. It's a game I could always beat, if I raised my team high enough. It's a game where I could connect with my twin brother via trading. It's a game I could play using some buttons and on the go, so I took my Gameboy Color everywhere. I played Pokemon Blue to death. It's very likely Pokemon is the reason why I started making friends by 2nd grade. In those days, most kids loved Pokemon. We all wanted to watch the Mewtwo movie in class... The teachers didn't understand the Pokemon craze. My 3rd grade teacher actually took away my Pokemon figurines because several of us were playing with 'em in class. That didn't stop me. I had to get them back. I held B button cuz I had to go fast.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
For me, the first thing I liked about Pokemon was the anime. I loved watching the series, and I loved the idea that pokemon had different types, and each of the types had their own weaknesses and etc.

I remember watching the first.. maybe 3 episodes of Pokemon, and then purchasing the game. It was certainly a more dumbed down version from the show, but in the game, I had an actual choice to make for my Pokemon team.

I always thought after I bought the pokemon games, I would have to play in Ash's perspective and pick his pokemon. Until I realized I could actually do what I wanted.. and THAT is probably what sparked me to keep playing. That and the fact that unlike Ash, I could catch legendaries :D

A lot of speculation goes around that the show is just not what it used to be. I tend to agree to a CERTAIN extent. I still enjoy the hell out of the show, and watch it whenever I can.. but the games themselves offer insane amounts of content, a different story, and a different way to progress.

That's the reason I like Pokemon. :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I can't think of a specific reason as to why I began liking Pokemon, except for maybe the joy a child feels when watching such an action-packed show or playing such an immersive game. But the reason why I continue to love it is because of two reasons: one, how the games are able to bring together so many people from all around the world and from different age groups; and two, how the games seem very simplistic on the surface but allow for such deep and complex meanings to be brought from it with just a little bit of thinking.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
My love for pokemon sprouted when i was a little kid. It was(and still is) mostly the pokemon themselves that reeled me in as well as the anime overworld with all the characters, humor, plot, etc.

Years
I love Pokemon for the ability to catch and collect the ultra cute/strong/cool Pokemon. And when I play Pokemon I feel all my Pokes are my friend which makes me feel better when I'm down. :)

ashketchum23

I love Pokemon!
Years
Pokemon made me feel the need to collect something. It always made me motivated to capture all Pokemon (Pokemon Cards.) Till this very day, I always felt like creating or doing something. It had this happy/bright feeling, and an adventurous one as well (Cliche; I know.) Pokemon always seemed as a funny/newbie show, so it had it's laughs. However; the newer Pokemon series are boring, and brought me to a level of boredom. It just seems as if Nintendo/GameFreak is creating any creature that makes no sense. Read my complaint post of the new Pokemon series, and you will know what I mean.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I honestly really don't know. I think maybe because my friends in Kindigarden liked it and that got me into it. I really have no idea. I don't even remember what made me like pokemon. I just liked it and I got my first pokemon game,which was blue at a yardsale with a Gameboy in like 2000. I do remember seeing the pokemon the first movie commercial when I was really young and I liked it before then. So I really don't know. I like the games because they are fun. I really don't even remember the first episode of pokemon I seen. Maybe the 2nd. I think what got me real likeing it was when Pikachu was hurt and Ash stood his ground aginst all those sparrow and Pikachu flew over his back and used thudershock to save Ash. I think that moment is what got me liking it the most. Just thinking about the moment gives me goosebumps and that song that was playing when it happened.

Anyone happen to know the name of the song in that part? When Pikachu save Ash from the Sparrow?

Last edited:

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
How it all started, as far as I can see:

Older sister always watched it on TV in the mornings before School. I watched it with her, from episode 1. I remember just loving Ash as a kid, and I guess the whole Japanese anime style attracted me as a kid, and I loved the way the show was set out, the whole getting different pokemon and using powerful moves against each other to be the best against everyone, the whole battling thing. And all the different types. It was the SHOW that got me into it, and I didn't discover the game about until half a year later.

Also the fact my sister and everyone at school had Pokemon trading cards made me always think about it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Watched Mystery of Mount Moon and enjoyed it and started to watch it. Then later I got Silver and Gold and loved it even more. Eventually mu cousin came around and got me into the TCG. Can't really give you exact details though because my memory sucks.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I got into it as a kid by watching the anime. In Grade 1, I got my first pokemon game. Anime + Game = fan. None of my friends liked it I don't think. So I neglected it until last year, when I met people that shared the same love. And by neglected, I mean no one knew I liked it. In fact No one does other than those people to this day lol.

Back