• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DJTiKi's MEGA-HUGE Guide To Planning Your Awesome Rom Hack! The Guide For Everything Pokemon!

What topic should I cover after Gameplay & Balance?

• Post-Game

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Personality and Fun

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • A Different Genre, All-Together

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
Update on FAKEMON, now with Abilities. Next up, will be Learnsets. Hope you guys are patient with me, becuase juggling so many things, is proving to be diffucult. So sorry, if these don't come put as fast, as you want them to.
No worries!

It's amazing that you are taking the time to make this guide! I'm sure we can all agree that this guide is very helpful and will be worth the wait when it's done!

Keep up the great work, and don't rush it!

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
This is pretty good!! im new on this and your guide is helping me a lot (i dont have a plan for a hack-rom yet),so thanks for posting this

You are very much welcomed. Glad you like it and I hope I can make you happy and think and not make you mad because of my opinions. XD

Miikroniix

Hopeful Hacker
Years
This is seriously super helpful. I'm currently making a hack, and reading this I realized there was a lot of stuff I could improve on. I'm really OCD when it comes to routes and stuff so I make everything symmetrical xD. But now I realize that's just me! Thanks again man!

DJTiki

Years
This is seriously super helpful. I'm currently making a hack, and reading this I realized there was a lot of stuff I could improve on. I'm really OCD when it comes to routes and stuff so I make everything symmetrical xD. But now I realize that's just me! Thanks again man!

You are very much welcomed. Glad it helps you out. Routes can be pain, especially if you are a perfectionist.

Bliss

Years
Oh, do I ever understand!

I absolutely refuse to make custom routes because they always look wrong when I try to make them! And I HAVE to have symmetry in any map I make, so it always looks weird, no matter how perfect I try to make it! (Not to mention every edit makes it look worse!)

Ultimately, I decided to stick to story hacks, since I've always been a story buff, but I look forward to playing any hack out there! Especially if it's from a like-minded individual! Good luck with your hack, I can't wait to play it!
You are very much welcomed. Glad it helps you out. Routes can be pain, especially if you are a perfectionist.
^ Very VERY true.

As I said earlier, I've given up on making custom maps and I'll just edit the story, and possibly some sprites/Fakemon/etc. I won't bother trying to make routes or cities because they will never be good enough for me. And if I can't bring myself to like it, how can my players like it?

As always, I'm thankful for this guide and looking forward to future updates!

EDIT: I was browsing my folders on my computer and I realized that I really adore PDF files lol. Got me to wondering, is there any chance we might see a PDF of this guide upon it's completion? :3

Last edited:

DJTiki

Years
I was browsing my folders on my computer and I realized that I really adore PDF files lol. Got me to wondering, is there any chance we might see a PDF of this guide upon it's completion? :3

I would really like if you would stop reading my mind. But there's a good chance of that happening :D

Also UPDATE ON FAKEMON, should have this done, hopefully, today.

Bliss

Years
I would really like if you would stop reading my mind. But there's a good chance of that happening :D

Also UPDATE ON FAKEMON, should have this done, hopefully, today.
Ooooh, I have ESP?!

Anyway, thanks for the update~ That section won't be of immediate use for me, since the hack I'm currently working on won't feature any Fakemon, but I'm definitely going to use it for my next hack, which is completely reliant on a Fairy Starter! Should be interesting~!

Keep up the great work!

DJTiki

Years
YEAAAH AN UPDATE AGAIN. On Fakemon. So what's up? Sorry I wasn't updated yesterday, like I said I would, but got caught up in my ROM hack(which you can check out in signature, hint-hint ;).) I know shameless plug. So for now, I'll ask another question..

Do you have any ideas for hacks that break away from the Pokémon norm(8 badges journey whatever)? If so, tell us a little about it, I love hearing about your ideas :).

Bliss

Years
YEAAAH AN UPDATE AGAIN. On Fakemon. So what's up? Sorry I wasn't updated yesterday, like I said I would, but got caught up in my ROM hack(which you can check out in signature, hint-hint ;).) I know shameless plug. So for now, I'll ask another question..

Do you have any ideas for hacks that break away from the Pokémon norm(8 badges journey whatever)? If so, tell us a little about it, I love hearing about your ideas :).
I'll check out your hack after I get a working beta for mine lol.

For alternate 'chapters' here are my thoughts:

• Recruitment
  • Unique story quests which reward with 'Gym' badges
  • Quest Point System
I'll go into more detail on each in the following spoilers.

Recruitment
Spoiler:

Story Quests
Spoiler:

Quest Point System
Spoiler:

DJTiki

Years
Quest Point System
Spoiler:

Gotta say, this is a very good idea :D. I was thought of a way to implement sidequests in hacks, just couldn't really good grasp on it. Maybe a checkvar of some sort to check, if a specific sidequests was done, so that other branches wothin the same sidequest arc is open(like talk to this guy to get the sidequest to get a legendary or this sidequests has so and parts to it). It really adds a layer of depth, that really be taken advantage of. i'm also stealing your idea and will not give credit....jk xD

Nice idea on the matter. It'll be a fresh breathe, if a hacker, can take full advantage of. I think I should, maybe, perhaps, talk about immersion and NPC interaction on a future update, now that I think of it.

Bliss

Years
Gotta say, this is a very good idea :D. I was thought of a way to implement sidequests in hacks, just couldn't really good grasp on it. Maybe a checkvar of some sort to check, if a specific sidequests was done, so that other branches wothin the same sidequest arc is open(like talk to this guy to get the sidequest to get a legendary or this sidequests has so and parts to it). It really adds a layer of depth, that really be taken advantage of. i'm also stealing your idea and will not give credit....jk xD

Nice idea on the matter. It'll be a fresh breathe, if a hacker, can take full advantage of. I think I should, maybe, perhaps, talk about immersion and NPC interaction on a future update, now that I think of it.
Firstly, I don't need credit. You can if you want, but it's not required. (That goes for everyone reading this as well, if you choose to use such a system) Too much work needing to be done, and I've only given a basic idea. So that's that lol.

About checkvar: Is there a way to see if a variable is OVER a certain number? I only know of a way to check to find exact values, not greater-than-or-equal-to values. That's the one reason I was a bit leery as to suggest it.

NPC Interaction: This might be a bit useless for most hacks. Many players don't bother talking to NPCs. I'm ecstatic when I talk to NPCs and find them saying funny or exciting stuff, because it's a tiny little extra that I get out of the hack. However, I find that many players won't stop to talk to the NPCs unless they are stuck, so it might be a wasted effort on your part to focus on that too greatly. It's a wonderful concept, and a feature that many ignore completely, but that's also because the typical player won't talk to most NPCs.

Immersion: This has got to be the most important factor in hacks! Without proper immersion every hack out there is just a remake.. but with immersion most of those hacks become their own story, independent of the Pokemon series. Instead of being a mere canon to the main series, immersion based hacks have their own story and really give the player a feeling of playing a new game! I can't explain it in words, but I truly feel that this is the most important factor in hacking, and luckily, most hackers seem to think so as well, since we rarely see "dev notes" in game, except in early betas.

Well, that's all for this post. Thanks for the hasty and thoughtful feedback, and for accepting opinions of others~ Thanks! Looking forward to future updates~

Wendle

Not So Standard Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2018
Theres one thing I've been curious about is the limitations of hacking and the ROMs space etc. The reason why i bring this is because when designing a hack you will need to learn what you can't do from (lack of knowledge) or you ;itteraly can't do. Now I will agree that most of this comes from experience but it would still be a valid point to raise IMHO

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Wait what...
your updates say you've added the fakemon part but it doesnt come up for me.... its only up to 'the pokemon themselves'

DJTiki

Years
Wait what...
your updates say you've added the fakemon part but it doesnt come up for me.... its only up to 'the pokemon themselves'

Sorry for the confusion, my Fakémon updates are on Page 2. I reached a character limit on my first post, so future updates will be there.

DJTiki

Years
Fufufu... should have made reserved posts huh?
Still AWESOME guide bruh.

I did reserve posts, until I thought it'd be more convient for everything to be on the first post, then there was a character limit :(.

Glad it's working out for you though.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Nice addition to the guide brah. This actually got me thinking to change a few things concerning a certain endgame Fakemon in my hack (actually one of only 2 Fakemon), who is designed to be super-powerful. I think I may have made him TOO powerful though. Base 180 attack stat plus Tough Claws. xD

DJTiki

Years
Nice addition to the guide brah. This actually got me thinking to change a few things concerning a certain endgame Fakemon in my hack (actually one of only 2 Fakemon), who is designed to be super-powerful. I think I may have made him TOO powerful though. Base 180 attack stat plus Tough Claws. xD

Yeah, there is a point for TOO powerful. At least, it didn't have Huge Power. xD

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Yeah, there is a point for TOO powerful. At least, it didn't have Huge Power. xD

Funny thing is, I planned for it to have Huge Power at first, but have a really terrible Speed stat to offset that. Plus its signature move would make it rest a turn. xD

I'll probably give it Pressure, which is standard for many legendary Pokemon.

Bliss

Years
Funny thing is, I planned for it to have Huge Power at first, but have a really terrible Speed stat to offset that. Plus its signature move would make it rest a turn. xD

I'll probably give it Pressure, which is standard for many legendary Pokemon.
Just don't give it Wonder Guard.

Wonder Guard is so overpowered, it's not even fair. (Can something that is defense oriented be Over Powered? Huh.)

Back