• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

sleeves/ are they nessesery?

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    Hello

I was wondering for a while if i should buy sleeves for my deck
    I started play tcg a year ago and my cards condition so far is great but im afraid they mught get ruined with time.

How much sleeves help to that metter? are they really importent and worth the cash that i could spend over other cards?

Thank you

Years
  • Strictly speaking you do not 'need' sleeves but I would strongly recommend you get some if you plan on using your cards frequently because they will start to get worn out if you do not sleeve them. They are not that expensive either and they do last a while if you get decent ones. I'm sure you take good care of your cards but opponents won't always. Some of them can be careless when shuffling your cards and sleeves help prevent the damage they could cause by not handling your cards with proper care.

So yeah, go get some sleeves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    Thank you for clearing that up for me
    And yeah i am going to buy sleeves now for sure

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
    Years
  • If you plan on using those sleeves for tournaments, I believe you are not allowed to use any holo or shiny sleeves, and only use one color per deck.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • Sleeves are generally a good idea for keeping your cards in good condition so they don't get scratches, edgewear and worn down with shuffling.

If you plan on using those sleeves for tournaments, I believe you are not allowed to use any holo or shiny sleeves, and only use one color per deck.

They can't have unique patterns, colors, creases, dirt, different sizes or brands or varying conditions of play(new sleeves clearly stand out from played sleeves). These things are considered "marking" since it allows you to distinguish 1 or more cards from the others.

Tournaments don't require you to use sleeves, but it's recommended since it's much more likely someone will call you out for marked cards or a deck check if they legitimately feel you're cheating or they feel like being a dick.

Sleeves can be any color, translucent, whatever. And all official Pokemon sleeves can be used.

Depending on where you buy them from, you can get standard-sized 60 sleeves for $5 or 100 for $6. But that's just basic sleeves. Official Pokemon ones tend to get rather expensive.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Depending on where you buy them from, you can get standard-sized 60 sleeves for $5 or 100 for $6. But that's just basic sleeves. Official Pokemon ones tend to get rather expensive.

And the Official Pokemon ones often are barely any more durable than the ones you can get 100 of for $6. My personal favorites are Dragon Shield, which you can usually get 100 of for $8 to $10.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    I just bought official pokemon sleeves and pokemon proffesor sleeves which im not sure if they are official too ( not that it metter according to what you said). Later on ill buy the dragon shield too - i must say i was little worried for how its gonna feel like to play with them and now after trying a little bit testing with my brother its feel much better :)
    Plus its looks really good on the cards.

Back