• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creating Sprites From Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opacus

PIXELS
Years
tutorial1hz2.jpg

tutorial2gc9.jpg

tutorial3hj3.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Thank you once again for your contribution to the forum, it's appreciated. Though this tutorial may be a bit too daunting for beginners, I'm sure others with a bit more practice will find this useful, or at the very least, encouraging so that they can develop their pixel skillz, yo.

But yeah, it's been added to the resources thread :)

Dragonsfreak

eevee raiser
Years
okay...this looks difficult
but i can´t wait to try it
good that i have some drawings ready to scratch
(they´ve been waiting for ages, guess m pretty lazy too^^)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Bleh, I wish this forum had a zoom feature for images. Analyzing pixel art here is such a hassle. It's no wonder this forum is so devoid of valid critique.

Anyay, it's a decent effort, Opacus, but I think maybe your priorities are out of whack a little bit. First of all, if I may:

opacusdeviledit.gif

I think you're sending some mixed messages in regards to things like lighting and dithering. You SAY volumetry is important, but in your example you apply this janky, half-assed lighting that goes all over the place and makes everything confusing for everyone trying to learn from your tutorial. Also, it really sounds like you're limiting everyone by telling them that things like anti-aliasing or dithering or the color black are unnecessary. These things should probably be a matter of preference as well as doing what the situation calls for.

Also, you mention hue-shifting, but you demonstrate a lack of understanding as to what it's for. I mean, I know how on Pixelation when you look at pieces by all the really skilled people it can be kind of easy to formulate this stereotype that if it doesn't gradate to purple, it's not artistic enough, but there are reasons that people do things like that. You probably ought to explain such principles, or at least direct people to someone who can.

It's just that looking at your tutorial, you're saying stuff that's true, but you're not demonstrating it, and people aren't likely going to set their standards that high because of it, especially somewhere like PC where people are probably less concerned with artistic integrity and personal ambition than they are with getting praise or working on games that they'll never finish. I might be less harsh on you if you were content with your own work, but you yourself refer to your examples as 'crap', which is probably a really unwise thing to say when you're trying to set an example.

Opacus

PIXELS
Years
Bleh, I wish this forum had a zoom feature for images. Analyzing pixel art here is such a hassle. It's no wonder this forum is so devoid of valid critique.

Anyay, it's a decent effort, Opacus, but I think maybe your priorities are out of whack a little bit. First of all, if I may:

opacusdeviledit.gif

I think you're sending some mixed messages in regards to things like lighting and dithering. You SAY volumetry is important, but in your example you apply this janky, half-assed lighting that goes all over the place and makes everything confusing for everyone trying to learn from your tutorial. Also, it really sounds like you're limiting everyone by telling them that things like anti-aliasing or dithering or the color black are unnecessary. These things should probably be a matter of preference as well as doing what the situation calls for.

Also, you mention hue-shifting, but you demonstrate a lack of understanding as to what it's for. I mean, I know how on Pixelation when you look at pieces by all the really skilled people it can be kind of easy to formulate this stereotype that if it doesn't gradate to purple, it's not artistic enough, but there are reasons that people do things like that. You probably ought to explain such principles, or at least direct people to someone who can.

It's just that looking at your tutorial, you're saying stuff that's true, but you're not demonstrating it, and people aren't likely going to set their standards that high because of it, especially somewhere like PC where people are probably less concerned with artistic integrity and personal ambition than they are with getting praise or working on games that they'll never finish. I might be less harsh on you if you were content with your own work, but you yourself refer to your examples as 'crap', which is probably a really unwise thing to say when you're trying to set an example.

Thanks for the critique Allstories. You are quite right indeed.
I'll get working on something I'm more happy with, so I can actually say it aint crap without having to lie, haha.

I hoped to get some critique, as I knew it werent quite adaquete.
A lack in demonstration only though, I'll assure you that I am quite capable of good hue shifting, hehe.
Well, I'll get working on a better example.

I'm not telling people that stuff like dithering etc aint nescassery, but I've seen so many cases of people blinded by learning those techniques that they completely forget everything else.
(Like I did.)
As for the black, got nothing to justify that, hehe.
I'll get rid of it. (Wasn't paying a large amount of care, making this tut and examples.)

I guess I'll go back and put some more effort in it.

By the way, as long as it aint insulting, I don't mind harshness.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2010
pretty good, besides the bits allstories said *no point repating it hah*
unfortunatly for you, i support use of black and heafty dithering >D so yeah. preference anyways... gadd, been so long since i commented properly T_T' ok, here i go)i cant reaally see the difference between the large amounts of AA and the no AA? might be my screen (its supposed to be super-high quality- i paid for it, but it sucks anyway T_T)
other than that, nothing really is getting to me. so yeah, awesome worky >D just what this place needs!! *boogie shuffle* the actual sprite itself, its pretty nice, dispite what you say, i like it, very odd/cool concept and design! mebbe wiht a little more time and improvement, it'll take its own place in a showcase!

keep up the super-cool work~ :3

Zorin

Pixies Dance
Years
Most spriters use MS paint or something similar to it. You really don't need an art program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back