• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Square Enix Announces Ultimate Final Fantasy Box Set

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    ...for 450 dollars!

Square Enix unveiled the box set at today's opening of the Final Fantasy Gallery in Tokyo. The first nine Final Fantasy games included are PS1 copies, with the exception of Final Fantasy III on PSP. Final Fantasy XIII is on PS3, and the rest on PS2, with XI as the 'Vana'diel Collection.'

Andriasang reports the compilation's extras include a commemorative DVD, an art collection, and a two-disc soundtrack among other goodies. Ultimate Box releases in Japan for ¥35,000, which translates into just under $450.
    Source

What really shocked me about this was the price of it. The idea itself is very cool, sure, but is it really worth a $450 price tag? I looked up the new prices of the games on amazon (interestingly enough this collection also doesn't include X-2 so I didn't include it either), and came up with this rough estimate:

XIII - 20
    XII - 16
    XI - 10
    X - 17
    IX - 15
    VIII - 17
    VII - 30 (estimating on this one since new prices vary wildly)
    VI - 6
    V - 7 (split the price of the anthology here, couldn't find them individually)
    IV - 10 (estimate based on Final Fantasy Chronicles price)
    III - 20 (couldn't find the PSP version, estimate based on DS version)
    II - 7
    I - 8 (split the price of the anthology of both)

If you add all that together, you get $183 for all of those games. So basically the collection is almost 300 dollars for a new art book, a collectible soundtrack CD, a display stand for the games, and a virtual item code for FF XIV. I don't know about the Japanese but it sounds like somewhat of a rip-off. I love the idea but I really can't see a price over $250 selling well over here.

Your thoughts?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • VII is €9 in their European online shop, for instance XD

So, it's the Ultimate Play Station Collection, and you need to have working PS1/PS2's to enjoy the games. No NES copies (which would have been a much bigger collector's item), no current-gen ports (which would have been more useful for the masses, even if it's the same 1987 game, just ported so it works in the PS3 or whatever), and nothing about the DS ports. Great. I'm pretty sure that all the Francises out there will get one so it looks pretty but it's highly impractical for your everyday Joe who got into the gaming world recently (or just for someone who never had any Sony consoles before -coughmecough-) and wants to play all the FF's.

But yeah, try to picture something like this:

"James Bond collection announced. The whole collection will cost $830 (almost $35 per movie), with the first 15 movies being in VHS format, the follwing 9 in DVD and the latest one in Blue Ray!"

Last edited:

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • I wanna know why they aren't releasing Final Fantasy 1-12 (minus eleven of course) in a PS3 collection. I would pay $100 for that in just a regular packaging. They wouldn't even have to upgrade any of the graphics...just rerelease it all in one box. Then they could release a collection that included all of the FF spin offs (Tactics, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, etc.) and put that out in a separate collection. Then do the same thing for the three FF13 games. I would buy all of them and to me that would be worth ~$200

If they did this...I think they would sell a crap ton of copies of all three of them.

Years
  • I really want this! XD
    I think it would just be amazing to have. FF is a massive part of gaming history and to own this would be epic... however... the price isn't epic! ;-;​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    What I have to wonder is whether they'll adjust for Western audiences, because I was talking to my boyfriend about this and he noted that if you take a Japanese game and translate the yen price directly to dollars, it comes out much more expensive than if you just got the localized game in the US/Europe. So while the Japanese market can support a higher price point, we can't, so it's completely possible that they'll drop it if it moves over here.

Of course, if it moves over here.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • @Toujours This is Japan we're talking about. The prices are a little different there. 430$ shouldn't be a big deal for them. Games usually cost 100$ there, limited editions even more.

I guess it's more of a collectors thingy. If it were for actually playing the games, they'd use PSN or at least make a collection of 1-9 on one BD, and the rest on another and make a 3 disk set. Surprised they aren't using some Limited Edition NES and SNES cartridges for the older games. That'd be actually worth buying, instead of the PS1 ones.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • The PS1 ports of the NES and SNES Final Fantasies were pretty terrible in my opinion, especially since FF still didn't have a working INT stat and the game has been remade a few more times over the years it just seems stupid to release the middle version. The NES version would be good for nostalgia's sake and a port of the iOS or GBA versions would have made sense with all the extra content but the PS1 version is just plain stupid. All the latest versions of FF between I-XII (excluding XI) should just be ported onto the PS3 and then just update the names of the FFVII spells and make the FFIX dwarves say 'Lali Ho'.

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • All I want is ffx on the ps3 I already have 7, 8, and 13/13-2. I also have the ds ff3 and iphone ff3 (phone version looks better btw).

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I would love to buy this... If the Price is right this on my list of things to purchase. I Would love to have them in the original nes versions tho.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I didn't bat an eyelash at the price. It's pretty normal for something like this in Japan. Handheld games are ~$70 new and console titles can be upwards of $90. So thirteen games plus extras? Not surprising that it's so expensive, old games or not.

The thing I'm disappointed over is the lack of international editions! Why is FFVII the only international version? It's widely accepted that XII's international version is vastly superior to the original game and I've heard good things about X's, too. Considering the international versions are essentially the Director's Cuts... well... why not use them in the collection?

I can understand if they're trying to include versions that are as close to the originals as possible but that's obviously not the case if VII is the International copy and essentially all the early games are ports. (Ports are fine, but why is III the only one on PSP?) This is just a strange collection overall.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Hmm, it seems nice that they would re-release everything in a box set, but the price tag is high. I would rather buy the games individually. Also, it's not even every version of every game, so many of them are ports.

Years
  • 450 bucks? Seriously? Come on, Square. XD

Hell, half of those games I could replay on GBA/SNES(1 through 6) if I was so inclined. (Not going to include emulation here, but since 1-6 are so easily obtainable in like, less than 5 seconds, it goes without saying)

And do people even still play XI on the PS2? I thought everyone migrated to PC on that. Wouldn't that be a mindless buy since everything on that game is server sided?
    No XIII-2, and if they wanted to put in X and XII (Two of my favorite of the series mind you), where's my international editions?

Yeah, no way in hell this is worth $450. I'll keep my money in my wallet.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • 450 bucks? Seriously? Come on, Square. XD

Hell, half of those games I could replay on GBA/SNES(1 through 6) if I was so inclined. (Not going to include emulation here, but since 1-6 are so easily obtainable in like, less than 5 seconds, it goes without saying)

And do people even still play XI on the PS2? I thought everyone migrated to PC on that. Wouldn't that be a mindless buy since everything on that game is server sided?
    No XIII-2, and if they wanted to put in X and XII (Two of my favorite of the series mind you), where's my international editions?

Yeah, no way in hell this is worth $450. I'll keep my money in my wallet.
    You have to realize the market in Japan (the only place this set has been announced) is very different from the West. $450 is fairly reasonable for something like this, I'd wager. A new game on PS3 will cost about $80-100. So a limited edition box set with pretty packaging, new artwork, DVD, soundtrack and so on? Yeah, this is precisely the price point I would expect. Everything is more expensive there.

Also, the Japanese really are not fans of MMOs... not on PC, anyway. Everyone here may play XI on PC because it's a better experience, but Japan still has a pretty decent amount of subscribers on PS2. Probably not more than PC, mind you, but for the purposes of keeping all the titles on Playstation consoles, it's sufficient. (The latest expansion, for example, is coming out on PS2 in Japan next year, but not here. There's no market here but there's obviously still a market there if they're gonna continue to support a game on a console that's over a decase old. :P)

This is not a boxset for the English market. I kind of assume there just won't be one because I just don't see this market having enough interest in something like this, at least not with a price point at which S-E would be willing to sell.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • But yeah, try to picture something like this:

"James Bond collection announced. The whole collection will cost $830 (almost $35 per movie), with the first 15 movies being in VHS format, the follwing 9 in DVD and the latest one in Blue Ray!"
    That is the part I don't understand about this. They could fit all the non-HD games on one Blu-ray disc. Whip up a quick menu to select the game and away you go.

What if you don't have all the systems?

(You can also get all 22 Bond movies on Blu-ray in a box set for $150. XD)

Last edited:

Keitaro

Urashima
    Years
  • ...if you are a big enough Square-Enix fan to buy this, you have all the systems. Trust me. :P

And the room to fit those 1000's of Final Fantasy games on a single shelf!? jk

I must admit it is a bit much, but Square knows how passionate their fans are and are more then willing to take advantage of it in their marketing. I mean Kingdom Hearts alone should be evident of that. But really who can blame them?

Lot of positives though I must say. It'll save you time in finding those pesky Final Fantasy titles that are hard to come by, and we must not forget because of that it raises the demand causing certain titles like VII to go up in price on places like eBay. This of course is it were to make its way to North American soil.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • The price makes complete sense to me. If you're looking on ebay, you are looking at used games. This here is new. It is one of those collections that also seems that it would gain value as an unopened collector's item overtime, too.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • Yeah, the price isn't so ridiculous. My copy of Final Fantasy V has a suggested price... of 9800 yen. I figure it'll have a low print run anyway.

The only part about this I find super appealing is the artwork.

Back