• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advice?

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
  • Okay, here is the problem? I'm creating a second part to my fan fiction that is going to be six months after the original incident. Should I create a bridge to fill in what happened during those six months or jump in Chapter 1? I'm torn both ways because I want show the protagonist's in action at Sinnoh yet I don't want to linger too long at Sinnoh either. O_o Should I start at his last mission at Sinnoh during the bridge?

I don't know what to do.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    If you really want people to know what happened, bridge the gap. Even if it's just a short explanation at the beginning of your first chapter.​

patch.

listen what I say, oh
    Years
  • If I do a time skip, I do a sort of effect where the protagonist or character looks around, spotting new people or items and recalling where he or she got them from, sort of filling in the reader with anything that's happened during that time. For example, say I'm writing something mystery, with the two characters Alex and Jenny. I finish my latest chapter, post it up, then want to make a time skip. What my plot twist will be here is that I'm going to kill Jenny, - yay? - so I'll make Alex sort of stumble into his apartment, notice a gun on the table and then notion it was the same weapon used to kill Jenny. This gives the reader the information but also allows the time skip and adds a bit of realism. ;3

Bay

Years
  • When dealing with time skips, many times what happened between the gap will be referenced and also the characters will remember too. For NE, I had a 4 year time skip, but throughout the fic the readers knows what happened between that time with the characters finding out in different ways (and I meant that literally- they found out what happened from the Pokemon Center PC to notes to even from a Xatu :P ).

So yeah, I would say you can mention what happened between the timeskip, but gradually so that you don't do an info dump on your readers. :P

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestion. :) I think I'll reference the gap throughout the fan fiction but the bridge itself is going to show the main character's transition personality wise. :P You guys are a huge help.

Back