• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Conservative group photoshoped minorities from Voting Rights mailer

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
  • A conservative group connected to Colorado's Secretary of State has been sending political mailers — including a picture of a darker-skinned woman whose face was digitally removed and replaced with a white woman's face — in an attempt to oppose a landmark voting bill that may soon become law.

Colorado is currently considering a major piece of legislation to improve the state's voting laws by implementing Election Day Registration, automatically sending mail ballots to every voter, and creating a real-time voter database to detect and prevent fraud. It passed the House last week and will now be taken up by the Democratic-controlled Senate.

Secretary of State Scott Gessler, a frequent speaker at True The Vote events who uses his perch to warn about the supposed threat of voter fraud, is leading opposition to the bill, which is supported by a number of Republican County Clerks and the Colorado County Clerks Association.

Now, a dark money group named the "Citizens for Free and Fair Elections", which lists its address as that of Gessler's former firm, the Hackstaff Law Group, is sending out photoshopped mailers in an attempt to pressure the election clerks into switching their position.

Here is the mailer:

hb1303mailer-937x1024.jpg

The mailer's background was taken from the following Getty Images photo:

voting-line.jpg

Except for two key differences. The original photo included a darker-skinned woman in a white hoodie sweatshirt, but the altered version in the mailer took out her face and replaced it with the exact same face of the white woman standing alongside. In addition, a dark-skinned man standing behind her in the photo was removed from the mailer entirely.

ColoradoPols, the first site to catch the photoshop job, shows the two side-by-side:

hackstaffaltered.jpg

Gessler, in a statement released Sunday evening, denied involvement in the matter.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/hb1303mailer-937x1024.jpg

Given what they photoshopped out, I can't help but wonder... Are they worried about the dead voting, or are the worried about the minorities voting?

Years
  • WTF that's disgusting. Here in Toronto, we're actually photoshopping minorities into photos (Toronto FUN Guide) XD

Years
  • And I thought it was bad/amusing when colleges added non-white people to their photos to appear diverse. All the attempts to confuse and restrict voting these last few years are pretty low. Even more pathetic than their photoshop skills.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I don't get what I'm looking at in that picture. Is it supposed to be the lady in the top-right? Her face looks weird (or maybe I'm over-analyzing).

Confused :s

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I don't get what I'm looking at in that picture. Is it supposed to be the lady in the top-right? Her face looks weird (or maybe I'm over-analyzing).

Confused :s
    Look more closely at the last picture. In the original, the women in the white hoodie is clearly not white in the original photo that was used. But in the one that was sent around to peoples' houses, that same women's face was altered to be white--and lazy as they were, they just took the face of the women next to her. Other minorities have also been photoshopped out of the picture or otherwise have had techniques used to obscure their presence.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Never mind the fact that the editing is the poorest attempt i've ever seen. Why didn't they just cut out a model's face from a department store catalog onto the photo?

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    When they wanted to replace that woman's face, why did they use the face of the person right next to her? That's just lazy LOL

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • When they wanted to replace that woman's face, why did they use the face of the person right next to her? That's just lazy LOL

The thing is, the link provided in the OP only has ONE image. I have nothing to compare to. Where are people getting this second image from (or original, whichever)?

I just get an image with VOTE on the left, a red-headed woman on the right, and underneath is a voting line. Where is the other image, the unaltered - or altered - one?

[Edit]

Nevermind. My Acer's screen is too tiny to see the scroll on the "Code" in the OP.

That's some messed up shish right there lol

Last edited:
    Back