• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] A suggested change: Don't use the user's location

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    I encourage the following change to be made for the next
    version of Pokemon Essentials.

Replace the code in the self.getLatLong method in PBDayNight (in PokemonUtilities) with:
    Code:
     def self.getLatLong
      [40*Math::PI/180,-70*Math::PI/180]
     end

Replace the code in the getRoughLatLon method (in PokemonUtilities) with:
    Code:
     def getRoughLatLon()
      [40*Math::PI/180,-70*Math::PI/180]
     end
    Currently the getLatLong functions are only used for day/night tinting. This is
    only an aesthetic use, so using the user's real location is, strictly speaking,
    not necessary.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Poccil, hi! Long time no see. How are you doing?

Essentials has moved on a bit since you handed it over to the community/wiki/me (as you can see in the wiki's Downloads page). One of the first things that was changed was the day/night system - I downgraded it all to that of an older version, before latitudes and longitudes came about. Now it only depends on the time of year (and I'm considering removing even that dependency, because I don't think it needs to be that complicated).

If you have any spare time, I would love to hear any other suggestions and comments you may have about Essentials.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    OMG. I never thinks that I will be see poccil again where.

Your latest day/night system are also removed because this considerably lags the game in field for some PCs that gets annoying 0.3 ms pauses. You can see better in this video.

I am a big fan of your kit. Can you play my game? Can I have an autograph?

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    I see that the day-night system was already taken care of.

On another note, I encourage removing the PokemonBoxManager script section from Pokemon Essentials. It has never served any real purpose in the starter kit.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    On another note, I encourage removing the PokemonBoxManager script section from Pokemon Essentials. It has never served any real purpose in the starter kit.
    The PokemonBoxManager is the biggest script in the your last release (in last Maruno version it is surpassed by 6k lines PokeBattle_MoveEffects) that can be used to communicated to several pokémon games and even with Shoddy Battle that uses Java (using the Serializable interface with a very interesting way). Nothing of it can be reused, even with some work?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The PokemonBoxManager is the biggest script in the your last release (in last Maruno version it is surpassed by 6k lines PokeBattle_MoveEffects) that can be used to communicated to several pokémon games and even with Shoddy Battle that uses Java (using the Serializable interface with a very interesting way). Nothing of it can be reused, even with some work?
    If you want to put the work in, go ahead.

I agree with poccil. No one's ever used it, and it's really quite out of date now anyway so it's all but unusable.

As a note of interest, PokemonBoxManager hasn't been spaced out properly. If it was, it would definitely be longer than any other script section.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • If you want to put the work in, go ahead.

I agree with poccil. No one's ever used it, and it's really quite out of date now anyway so it's all but unusable.

As a note of interest, PokemonBoxManager hasn't been spaced out properly. If it was, it would definitely be longer than any other script section.

You know, it never even occured to me what PokémonBoxManager is even for. I assumed it was related to the PC boxes, and even though I've edited PokémonStorage many times, I never thought about the fact that PokémonBoxManager was never of any importance.

So, that entire script section is unused? That's definitely interesting. I'm going to look at it for the heck of it.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    If you want to put the work in, go ahead.

At moment it is above my skills.

But I don't think that is a good idea to throw away a very big script done by a genius. Something probably can be reused.

Back