• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Name Game

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
Years
  • Now, we all know there are some 300+ Pokes... even more now that D/P are coming out. But I was always curious as to the names of them. Some of them are obvious combinations of descriptive words (like Bulbasaur or Squirtle), but quite a few come from obscure and interesting origin.

So here's the game:

I will start with a Pokemon. The first person to describe the origin will then name another Pokemon, and the next person will give a name origin, and name a Pokemon, and so on and so on. Not sure how well this will turn out, but what the hell, let's give it a shot!

I'll start with one I know and find the most interesting:

Who can give me the origin of the name...

Kirlia

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • Even though this is a "game", it has nothing to do with any of the actual games. Pokémon related "fun-games" belong in the Funtime in Pokéland forum, so I'll move it there.

~moved~

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Bannete?
    okay here it goes
    Banette's name is a portmanteau of bane, meaning a source of harm, and marionette, meaning a hand-controlled puppet.

next is
    Gallade

PiplupRocks

Electric Trainer
    Years
  • erureido.png

Gallade- The evolved form of Kirlia using a Dawn Stone however - Gallade is only available for its gender to be a male

How about..

Mantyke

Back