• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated/Unknown Games

Years
  • As you can tell by the title, were talking about underrated and unknown games! Well, when I say 'unknown', I mean games that aren't very known. Which games do you think are underrated and deserve more credit? Are there any particular games which you think deserve to be more known and deserve more popularity?

Discuss.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • Any shmup game that involves serious bullet hell. Sure, it has a wide recognition of "hardest video game bosses ever", but even then, many people never bothered playing those games. I think by now, some of them should have much easier difficulties, but then again, I could be wrong...

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I agree the mana series in general is underrated and the fact that its a spinoff series from final fantasy doesn't seem to make it super popular. Final fantasy adventure were the first two mana games before being renewed as an original IP.

Ys, this series is very underrated. The combat is different to your normal RPGs but it works very well. The art is great and so is the voice acting. The storylines are great and Adol is a perfect hero.

Yukari

I played a game called Ascension. It was a game on win 95/98. I have NEVER found it on the Internet.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I already mentioned it in another thread, but I think Siren: Blood Curse isn't very well known or mentioned much. It's not really underrated though, gets pretty decent ratings.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • Banjo Kazooie! Ermagherd they need to make another one to revitalize the series! Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie were true epicness in N64, but it's kinda faded out now. Nuts and Bolts for Xbox, just no.
    I want to start the conversation for Banjo Kazooie Wii or 3DS! I don't know how popular it was when it came out, but it sure isn't getting enough attention now! BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RETRO GAMES FOREVER!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Have you played any of these games?

Little_King%27s_Story.jpg
    Zack_%26_Wiki_-_Quest_for_Barbaros%27_Treasure_Coverart.png

No, of course you didn't. You just found out about them.
    But now you should.

EDIT: Oh yeah this game as well, of course
    Guru-logi-camp-box.gif

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Have you played any of these games?

Little_King%27s_Story.jpg
    Zack_%26_Wiki_-_Quest_for_Barbaros%27_Treasure_Coverart.png

No, of course you didn't. You just found out about them.
    But now you should.

EDIT: Oh yeah this game as well, of course
    Guru-logi-camp-box.gif

It's kind of rude to assume people haven't played a game. This thread is opinionated. Chances are people haven't played those games, but outright saying we haven't, is really arrogant. Just saying /:

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Why does it matter if you played or haven't played the games anyway? How is it even rude to say you haven't played a game that sold like crap and is relatively unknown? If you're taking offense to that, then holy **** man...Never mind that I wasn't entirely serious. Wasn't that obvious? It is a thread about "unknown" games after all.

...I will be genuinely surprised if anyone here actually knew about Guru Logi Champ, though.

Last edited:

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Why does it matter if you played or haven't played the games anyway? How is it even rude to say you haven't played a game that sold like crap and is relatively unknown? If you're taking offense to that, then holy **** man...Never mind that I wasn't entirely serious. Wasn't that obvious? It is a thread about "unknown" games after all.

...I will be genuinely surprised if anyone here actually knew about Guru Logi Champ, though.

It's rude that you said: "Have you heard of this game, nope". And I agree that a majority of us, including myself haven't played it, read above, but saying it the way you did was plain rude. It was would of been better and less rude if you had simply listed the games and why you believe they're unknown instead of assuming because you know about them, it was unknown. Serious or not it was rude and unnecessary.

Beeteedubbs, no need to swear.

Edit

It's not right to Vaas to flood the thread with bickering, so I'm ending this here.

Last edited:

isthatyoudan

Years
  • Uhhh... I can tell that there's an argument going on... let me just say...
    I haven't played Little king's story or Zack and Wiki, but I think that I have heard of them somewhere.

Just to add, you may not have ever heard of "Monster Tale". It's for DS. Doesn't seem incredibly popular. DEFINATELY WORTH YOUR TIME. It's a bit repetitive, but the story and gameplay is really interesting at times.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It's rude that you said: "Have you heard of this game, nope". And I agree that a majority of us, including myself haven't played it, read above, but saying it the way you did was plain rude. It was would of been better and less rude if you had simply listed the games and why you believe they're unknown instead of assuming because you know about them, it was unknown. Serious or not it was rude and unnecessary.
    You have not explained why it is rude and why you even care. Why would anyone even care? How did I insult ANYONE with that post? Normally someone who hasn't played those games would either not care about that post or actually get interested in the games, and anyone who did play them would probably reply, probably agreeing or something. Last thing I expected was someone finding that offensive.

It is just like complaining about how wrong they are/how its just opinions/etc when someone calls a game the best game ever but didn't add that little "IMO" there. Which is childish.

No seriously, why is that rude? You didn't explain. You're just being a stuck up for such a little thing that was not even meant to be rude, and then backing out with that edit? Jesus christ, man, why even make that post? You just derailed the topic.

And you haven't even PLAYED the games, why the hell do you even care? No where did I imply superiority over playing obscure games (I added that "you should" there for a reason, because I WANT more people to know about them) in a thread about obscure game. They're just games, for god's sake. UNKNOWN games.

Last edited:

isthatyoudan

Years
  • C'mon, you two, you're getting off topic! This thread is for talking about video games, not fighting! Just forgetaboutit! It'll be better tomorrow!

I'll add another forgotten game... hm...A boy and his blob?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Rayman: Legends is quite underrated, in my opinion. It's a great game and has got stunning graphics, but not many people seem to play it. Rayman: Origins has to be a bit underrated as well.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Rayman: Legends is quite underrated, in my opinion. It's a great game and has got stunning graphics, but not many people seem to play it. Rayman: Origins has to be a bit underrated as well.
    Sales wise they unfortunately are. It's still surprising to me we even got Legends since Origins bombed HARD. (Ubisoft did say it ended up being a good long term seller, I suppose.)

Commercially, they're very universally praised, to the point they're widely considered the best 2D platformers today. Not that I agree (DKCR and NSMBU exist), but you get the idea. Far from underrated in that sense...well as much as I love both of them, I'd say they're more overrated than anything.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • @spinosaurus lol stop being a dick he said he wanted to end it just leave it at that

Anyways, arguing aside I think that Dante's Inferno is pretty underrated. I personally liked the game while most people just called it a GoW clone and tossed it aside. The story was pretty cool and it being based off the Poem is awesome.

Bartholomew

Snug Rungs
    Years
  • Zack & Wiki was a pretty popular, critically acclaimed game. I never owned a Wii and even I played it.

Some of my favorite lesser-known games:
    • Clash at Demonhead (NES) (Made somewhat more popular by Scott Pilgrim.)
    • Kid Niki (NES)
    • Pocket Fighter (PSX) (They NEED to return to this concept. Funnest fighting game.)
    • Machine Hunter (PSX)
    • XIII (PC, consoles) (Shame that it was never continued; it's a fantastic game.)
    • Commander Blood (PC)
    • Snatcher (MSX, Sega CD, etc.) (Popular, but not popular enough)

I'm sure I'll think of a lot more in the future.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    @spinosaurus lol stop being a dick he said he wanted to end it just leave it at that
    He publicly called me out for something so small and after starting that he immediately backed out of it. Sorry, but I'm not leaving it at that.
    Zack & Wiki was a pretty popular, critically acclaimed game. I never owned a Wii and even I played it.
    You'd still be hard pressed to find someone who played it. Regardless, as critically acclaimed as it was it still sold terribly, despite some wishes for a sequel.

I'm not going to deny its popularity near launch (after all it was in the middle of a controversy) but you have to admit it was quickly forgotten after that.

Thanks for not telling me I was rude or calling me a dick, though. I actually appreciate it. :/

Bartholomew

Snug Rungs
    Years
  • I guess I stopped paying attention after playing it. I wasn't into Nintendo at the time, so I didn't have many conversations about Nintendo games.

Back