• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeDS

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
You have a point Maruno. I'll see if I can work on a system. I don't think it should be too hard as all the hooks exist already in PaLib. I just need to be able to import the map information from Tiled.

Edit:

Just a little update for you guys. I figured out exactly how the backend loads tiles and I got it working with dummy values. I've spent a good 2/3 hours trying to find an XML Parser (Tiled spits out only xml files) that actually compiles for the DS but I had no luck. I've decided to use regular plaintext parsing (i.e searching for specific text and then using that as a reference to cut out the needed data) in order to extract the arrays from the Tiled maps. Then all I have to do is filter the CSV out and I'll have the array imported. Since tiled backgrounds are registered in the same way as image backgrounds, nothing else has to change.

I also updated the preview image in the OP. Running animation is now fixed (hold b to run) and collisions make that characteristic bump noise.

Last edited:

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
How does any of this work? I made a map with tiled, exported it as a PNG, imported it into DSGM as a background but it wouldn't load.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
You need to set it as a background for the current room. Open the room settings and add that background. PokeDS wont work like that though. There will be a custom action to initialise a room and you select all the properties such as the map.

Guys I'm afraid I'll have to leave the tile mapping till later. I found out PaLib does some optimisation that Tiled doesn't do and hence the tile numbers don't match up.

Rafael-animal

Pokémon DS Kit
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2015
Really PAlib is an old library.
I recommend you to use libnds and programe your own library.
I'm working in a similar project and I'm doing that, if you program your own library you can optimize it for Pokemon Games (;
Sorry for my english.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Guys, small update for you. I'm thinking about moving away from DS Game Maker due to horrible limitations with the library and the interface itself. I'm looking towards using a better and maintained library in conjunction with Visual Studio. We'll see how that goes.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Update: Been working hard on the message system, reduced it to two simple functions! Prepare text: does what it says on the tin, loads a couple of variables for use in the messageboxes. Pokemon Text: Displays a textbox with the desired text. We also have Yes/No Choice for selection of choices. Couldn't be easier! I have updated the first post with a newer preview. Try talking to the guy in Pallet town.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Both FAT and NitroFS are automatically supported by the libraries that PokeDS is built upon. NitroFS is a file system that is tagged onto the end of the .nds ROM file therefore allowing you to circumvent the 4mb resource limit. (PokeDS is already nearly 1MB, NitroFS will be very useful). I haven't looked into it but I'm fairly certain we will be able to copy files directly into the NitroFS making things like files lying around on the FAT which may be prone to user modification non-existant. However, the support for loading files from the FAT is definitely there and is easily used.

Looks like I was wrong! NitroFS has no write permissions once it is baked into the ROM.

Last edited:
Back