• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Somewhat sand team.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2013
    Hi there, I'm pretty new to battling competetively, but I'm looking what I can possibly improve my team for more wins. Currently i've come to the point getting 50/50 wins, but I feel my team is lacking something that keeps me from winning more battles. Anyways this is my team right now.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock
    - Pursuit

Nice things about T-tar is during the sandstorm his sdef is increased by 50% that makes him bulky against water moves, but having 4x weakness against Fighting is still a problem. Good physical sweeper with Choice Band and good to swap in against physical pokemon and using pursuit on them if they're tyring to run away.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
    Trait: Rough Skin
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Swords Dance
    - Fire Fang
    - Earthquake

Garchomp is a nice physical sweeper. What I like from Garchomp vs other Dragon pokemon it has Earth and Dragon as STAB. I do have noticed that garchomp can't really take many special hits. Good against Fire/steels with Earthquake and Fire Fang for Pokemon like Scizor or other weak to fire types. Outrage makes also a good combination when fighting non-steel types and dragons that are slower than Garchomp also OHKOs Dragonite when not at full HP. Sword Dance boosting attack when I get the chance.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Protect

From what I've read Gliscor can be used either as a stall or Baton Passer. I've chosen for the stall tactic, because I don't have many other defensive or bulky Pokemon as long I don't encounter pokemon using strong Ice attacks Gliscor can pretty much wall many physical attacks and wear out the oponent with Toxic and I can protect myself with Substitute and Protect also can thrown in earthquakes aslong they aren't immune to it or flying.

Scizor @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    - Bug Bite

Scizor is another great sweeper if I can get 1 sword dance off Bullet Punch is a killer or Bug Bite versus physics. Roost can keep Scizor healthy only danger is fire moves which pretty much can OHKO Scizor. I chose HP EV over Speed for a more bulky Scizor since you'd mostly use Bullet Punch which is a priority move and if I'm gonna Sword dance 1 round it wouldn't matter if I go first or not.

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Psyshock
    - Tickle

Gothitelle is kind of trapper if its convinient. With Shadow Tag the oponent can't escape I can tickle the oponent and set up Calm Mind enough to OHKO with psyshock. Only weak thing with semi-wall Gothitelle is there's no reliable recovery, since she doesn't get Recover.

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt
    - Draco Meteor

Great special sweeper would find it hard to swap this one out. Any physical walls I come a cross I can take care with Latias. usually can OHKO Ferrothorns with HP unless they have SDef EVs. Latias is also usually faster than other dragons so it can pretty much OHKO any dragons with Draco Meteor. Psyshock versus special walls like Blissey, and Thunderbolt against flying/water types I can't hurt enough with STAB moves. Latias has good Speed stat and SDef too only con it's rather frail against physical attacks and pursuit pretty much OHKOs Latias.

I usually start off with Gothitelle to trap the enemy or T-tar and stealthrock. If there's a good physical to wall I can swap in with Gliscor and toxic them to either keep walling them or have them force to switch to another pokemon. Fromt here pretty much keep sweeping untill I win.

Threaths
    - I usually still feel trapped against certain combinations also my team really isn't fond of Water/Ice oponents.
    - Also my team is in great danger if my oponent can get off dragon dances or 2 then having greater speed than any other of my Pokemon and kills them off left and right since most pokemon are rather frail.
    - Spike teams are also pretty annoying.
    - Jirachi - pretty annoying overall usually takes 3 tries to kill it. Also strong when i'm either stuck in Outrage or when my oponent anticipates my move knowing I'm gonna Draco Meteor.
    - anything crippling my pokemone with para/burn.
    - Not sure what else.

I feel I still kinda lack something on the support department or should I also be considering swapping some sweepers for something else with not the same weakness?

Any tips/feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Stealth Rock is meaningless on Choiced Tyranitar. I'd rather have something to deal with Steels, like Superpower instead. Stealth Rock is better off on bulky support or lead sets, i.e. ones that have the freedom of switching moves:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Crunch
    -Pursuit
    -Fire Blast/Superpower/Stone Edge
    Nature: Sassy/Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Crunch
    -Fire Blast/Ice Beam
    -Low Kick/Ice Beam
    Nature: Hasty/Mild
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Sand Stream

16 Speed EVs allow Gliscor to outrun Breloom: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe.

Even though Gothitelle's stats lean towards defensiveness, it's better off with an offensive spread, mainly to let it actually do something to Dark Pokémon, who currently wall it. Remember that Wobbuffet and Gothitelle play differently, and that with its current set, it's getting worn down by Sandstorm, since it cancels out its Lefties recovery. It can still go defensive, but it has better options than Sub + Tickle:
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)/Signal Beam
    -Trick
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    Ability: Shadow Tag

or
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -Thunderbolt/Grass Knot
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
    -Signal Beam/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Psyshock
    -Hidden Power (Fighting/Fire)/Reflect
    -Rest
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/212 Def/44 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

A bulky SD Scizor set should use 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SDef to let it survive specially-based Dragon moves easily, such as Latios' Draco Meteor.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2013
    Thanks for the great tips :), got one question do you think it would be good to swap something out for a pokemon that can clear status effect in the party like with Healing Bell and that can stall/wall a little with self heal?

Back