• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Manga] Shipping Debates

Harumi Fujyoshi

Ichiban fujyoshi desu!
Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2015
    A'ight, here we go! I haven't got that many shippings I really dislike and quite a few of my shippings contradict each other but I'll try to keep this short.

My OTP is;; Preciousmetalshipping (Gold / Silver)
    And then we have...
    Jadeshipping (Blue (girl) / Yellow)
    Sweetheartshipping (Crystal / Yellow)
    Grantedshipping (Yellow / Lance)
    Ambershipping (Gold / Yellow) Sorry, I like to ship Yellow XD
    Originalshipping (Red / Green (guy))
    Honorshipping (Falkner / Morty)

Secondaryshipping (Silver / Green (guy)) Just, don't ask why XD
    Haughtyshipping (Pearl/Platinum)
    And sort of my second OTP EliteUndershipping <3 (Aaron/Lucian)

Okay that wasn't so short ^^;;

EDIT: Look, look, I added colors 8D

Last edited:

Chocos0

Eclipse the Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    The one in my picture! =P
    Red and Yellow look SO cute together.
    ChoosenShipping,
    CommonerShipping.
    =P
    Oh, and MangaQuestShipping

Last edited:

The Dream

I know I let you down...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    I don't get it, I thought there's supposed to be a shitstorm debate on about couples?

Fine. I'll present the first one. Which and WHY do you support, ChosenShipping or OldRivalShipping?

Presenting the case for ChosenShipping:

Silver and Blue have a deep relationship, one that spans their entire lifespans (almost for Blue). As little kids, they grew up in the iron grip of the Masked Man; through these hardships, they learned to bond with one another closely. Look at their escape, their coordination in escaping in flawless, showing some kind of connection at that early stage in their lives. Furthermore, during the GSC arc, we see evidence of this relationship: Blue teleporting Silver back, so that he wouldn't be involved in the dangerous conflict, while Silver stole the location of Celebi and made his way, attempting to protect Blue. Silver of course also has an instinctive protectiveness of Blue; when Gold attempts to make innuendos and touch her, Silver instantly comes to ward Gold away (with comedic results I might add).

Presenting the case against ChosenShipping:

One might argue that they share just a close brother-sister relationship. It's clear that neither makes advances upon each other, and even though Blue is the flirtatious type, no one has ever seen her make these advances on Silver (although the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, a good lawyer would argue). For me personally, the deep motives and feelings behind their actions allow me to interpret a sibling relationship, rather than one motivated by partner love.

Presenting the case for OldrivalShipping:

At this moment (dead tired, with body sore), the only thing I can think of is that Green's only sign of weakness comes at the presence of Blue. The fact that he let his guard down and fainted in front of Blue indicates some sort of connection between the two. It can't be a sibling love; Green never shared this kind of connection with her, preferring to ignore her. But when he lets his guard down, it's in front of Blue, showing humbleness, and also a chance for Blue to care for him. And also, his frequent "pesky woman/girl," leads me to believe that these words are more than just words...

Presenting the case against OldrivalShipping:

Sigh, I'm tired. It's mainly the fact that Green has never showed any real interest in any girls. He's portrayed as the isolated and mysterious "hero," that likes to work alone (like a lone ranger.) Furthermore, he's shown nothing but contempt and annoyance when dealing with Blue (while others may interpret this as a subtle way of flirting in Green's own weird way). Other than the part where he lets down his guard, there's no real reason why Green would like Blue or vice versa.

Let's hear some real arguments. I just presented the tip of the iceberg; it's up to you to substantiate your claims, and provide some amusement for the rest of us.

CounterattackDreamer

Impetuous and silly
    Years
  • In my opinion, it's understandable that people don't want to argue about shippings. Generally, they're a rather touchy subject, especially for those who are rather ideologically sensitive (for instance, I've seen a lot of het pairings and very few people brave enough to state that they have found a slash/femslash pairing interesting. In fact, has anyone even stated a femslash in here? o_O). Not only that, but we're really hoping that everyone is treated respectfully here and some people (not saying here) have possibly been flamed for liking certain pairings.

That being said, I will go ahead and state my own favorite pairings and the reason why I support them.

Red x Green (male) originalshipping
    My OTP, pretty much. XD I pretty much started liking this pairing as soon as I read a oneshot about them. Of course, this is after reading a bunch of oneshots about them and trying to convince myself that shipping in Pokemon = BAD IDEA. However, I eventually fell under the fanfiction writer's spell, and thus, here I am.

What mainly appeals to me about them is mostly the complimentary personalities -- that, and the fact that I really can't imagine them with anyone else. Sorry, but I really don't like the idea of Green x Blue (female), mainly because Blue's personality just doesn't fit him as far as I am concerned. As for Red x Yellow, as much as the pairing does make sense I just can't find myself liking it. Call it a bit ridiculous, but the possibility of Red x Green (in my mind) outweighs that of Red x Yellow.

I never really imagined myself liking this pairing, especially since I dislike Ash x Gary. So to really come to this point is just as much a surprise to myself as it probably is to people who know me well enough. (Especially considering I'm not the biggest fan of slash.) Oh well. Got to this point, staying at this point. XD

Gold x Crystal mangaquestshipping
    While Red x Green is a pairing I got hooked on more recently, I have actually been a long time fan of Gold x Crystal. Ever since I heard that Gold and Crystal were in the manga, I started shipping them -- this is because I already ship their game counterparts. When I read more information about their interactions in the actual manga, it only made me like the pairing more, which is why it's high up in my pairing list. It's not necessarily my OTP (Red x Green has stolen that spot!) but it's definitely high up there in the most appealing pairings to me.

Let's see... their personalities match, for one -- or at least what I've read of them. Every interaction that I have seen between them has made me a very, very, very happy CAttkD. <3 Not only that, but Gold takes the full brunt of an attack aimed at both him and Crystal -- seriously, if that's not dedication, I don't know what is.

Ruby x Sapphire franticshipping
    Meet my original OTP before Red x Green barged in. They were actually when I first started shipping manga characters in general -- in fact, I liked them even before Gold x Crystal! It's their relationship that got me really into the manga in the first place, and made the Ruby/Sapphire ark among my favorites of the manga. My reason for supporting them? They're practically canon.

They have already confessed; the only thing really left for them to do is to actually get into a relationship (and for Ruby to get over himself and acknowledge that they had had a confession chat in the first place). It really struck a chord in me when Sapphire was the first to confess, and their relationship is really fun to watch unveil and develop. I heard someone else say in here that this is his/her OTP, and seriously, I can't blame him/her. This is a fabulous pairing, and even though it's no longer my OTP, it's definitely up there in my favorites.

Diamond x Platinum/a commonershipping
    This is another one of those "I like it because I like the thought of their game counterparts together." I do recognize, however, that there is a significant difference, and I mean significant, between them and their game counterparts, especially in personality. This doesn't make me like it any less, however; in fact, although I don't like Platina too much and Dia's just a cutie, I still think the two of them fit together. Dia's just so sweet to Platina (in canon!), and is rather supportive of her where Pearl is not.

A better way to argue for this pairing is to argue against its competitors, Dia x Pearl and Pearl x Platina. Now, while I am okay with both of those pairings and I don't want to dump on them, I just don't see either of them happening -- in the case of Pearl x Platina, Pearl seems more annoyed at Platina than infatuated with her (and Dia is shown in the very beginning when Platina is introduced to be swayed by her beauty). As for Dia x Pearl, once again, I am not a huge fan of slash pairings in general -- and honestly, I think their relationship is brotherly at most (although I can see where many Dia x Pearl shippers can find their hints, especially when Dia lashes out at Pearl for being treated the way he is by Pearl).

(Please note: Just because I don't think Pearl x Platina is plausible doesn't mean I don't like its game counterpart, Barry x Dawn -- in fact, that used to be one of my favorite pairings.)

I think that's all I have to say as far as my pairings are concerned. I don't bash pairings, so any pairing you throw at me, I may dislike it, but that doesn't mean I hate it intensely or I want it to burn in ashes. I still favorite works that are based off of pairings that I don't necessarily support.

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
  • Haughtyshipping - Pearl x Platina; anyone?
    I think its cute and I find a lot of hints.

FlamingThunder

Years
  • OldRivalShipping- Green x Blue (I don't care what gender you call them)
    HaughtyShipping- Pearl x Platinum
    SpecialShipping- Red x Yellow
    FranticShipping- Ruby x Sapphire
    MangaQuestShipping- Gold x Crystal

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    I've gotta love LuckyShipping, MangaQuestShipping, and whatever JunxMitsume is.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    I absolutely love Franticshipping. My OTP. <3 This is really rare, seeing as normally I dislike romance. But I just find those two so cute together. <3 And it's canon too. I don't like Oldrival though. I don't know why, Green and Blue just don't fit together at all in my head. Specialshipping is okay. I don't particular like or dislike it. Mangaquest...eh, my brain tells me they go well together, but for some reason I feel some dislike for it. I have no idea why. Silver and Blue are like brother-sister for me, so no pairing there. Originalshipping...I actually like this. :X Even though I usually steer away from slash. I find that their personalities compliment each other well. However, I prefer Masarashipping. I like Red and Green better as best friends in the manga.

Ruhn

Breeder
    Years
  • hehe. a manga pair shipping threat >.<
    well to tell what i think:
    red x yellow
    gold x crystal
    ruby x sapphire
    i'm not sure about green right now. whether i like her to be with blue or with silver. but i think she and blue woudl make a good and intresting couple. gg
    the following characters i can't tell. still reading the manga. i'm currently within the emerald storyline
    well and n x white. but i don't know if it counts here. cause it's from the game :P

Last edited:

Iditarod

Wandering Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2011
    My faves are OldRivalShipping (Green x Blue), SpecialShipping (Red x Yellow), and my favorite crackship is probably GrantedShipping (Lance x Yellow). I know this would totally never happen; it's just a cute thought. I'll probably have more once I actually finish the manga XD

Brendan859

Hoenn Champion
    Years
  • Well for me I like SpecialShippping and CommonerShipping,but my favourite will always be Franticshipping.
    They actually confessed that they liked each other.
    The only thing left is Ruby to remember their confession and then BAM!We have a couple!:D

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2011
    For me...Specialshipping FTW!!!!!!!
    RED X YELLOW!!!

Last edited:

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
  • Wow, the shipping part of the Pokespe fandom has been surprisingly chill from what I'm seeing (and that includes other forums as well). I've never seen anything on the level of the "Who deserves Ash?" wars or the HP ship wars. That's a good thing, I suppose.

I'd pull out my shipping list from an older thread, but there are some ships I don't think about anymore and my commentary makes me cringe sfm. My pairings tend to cover both sides of the spectrum (from sensible to "you ship THAT?") so I won't list the whole shebang. So I'll list a few shippings and a poor excuse for a reason:

Giovanni/Sabrina/Surge/Koga OT4: Toxicbolt, Socio, Antagonist, Militant, Ivory, Veno, all of them are fine in my eyes. They're like my favorite characters in the manga, but no surprises there for some forum-goers who know me. and i pair koga with other characters but i won't list them for the sake of everyone else's sanity
    Specialshipping (Red/Yellow): Cute and fluffy pairings are all right with me, I guess.
    Luckyshipping (Blue/Red): Shockingly, I'm not too big on the fluffy fanart. I won't mind saving some cute ones, but I like ones where Blue is more or less a total tease.
    Jadeshipping (Blue/Yellow): Because I need some femslash in this fandom. There's a nice chunk of het and slash, but I hardly see any girls love, sadly.
    Commonershipping (Dia/Platina): I love this ship because Dia is a total sweetie and Platina's a lovely character. Not so much a fan of Haughtyshipping, but oh well. And I see Pearl/Dia as more of a bromance than anything else.
    Franticshipping (Ruby/Sapphire): The personality clash works imo and I like the role reversal that's in play here.
    Mangaquestshipping (Gold/Crystal): Some of the fanfics I've read are pretty amazing. Thus, love for the pairing.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    So much for debates... These are a few of my shippings

Specialshipping (Red/Yellow) - I especially support this when they were having their pinkies tied together at the end of the Yellow arc. It's cute and fluff and I support it.

Franticshipping (Ruby/Sapphire) - The only canon relationship, really. The only problem is for Ruby to actually take more initiative towards Sapphire later on, but I'm sure he might grow out of his bubble or something. This shipping is the "opposites attract", and I find that the more they clash the closer they appear.

Mangaquestshipping (Gold/Crystal) - Just based on interaction with each other, their personalities practically go hand in hand. Gold shows devotion towards her in ways, while Crystal frequently shows care and concern.

Choosenshipping (Blue/Silver) (Blue being the girl) - Childhood friends, helped each other out to escape the Masked Man, etc. Some debate that they're more Brother/Sister, which could be the very case but I can't see Blue with anyone else. Besides, Silver is rather overprotective which is free to interpretation on why he would act on such accords. And of course, Blue returns these protective instincts later on throughout the manga. Furthermore, Blue never actually flirts with him. However, this could be that they had spent a large portion of their childhood together and so Blue feels she would not need to act in such a manner.

Finally, I can't see how people support OldRivalShipping (Blue/Green). The relationship between them is strained, mainly due to the reserved and self-reliant personality Green (male) has. The only "real" hint would be Green calling her a pesky girl every time they meet, but even then it's not much of a hint at all. Their interactions are limited, and one of the only reasons they actually see each other would be due to Red. I think that the only reason people support this is so that they could pair everyone up with someone, but sadly, I highly doubt Green is actually compatible with anyone. It's not that I have anything against him, he's one of my favorite characters, but all and all he really can't be paired. With Blue, she literally has no hints either. Simply put, she's flirtatious and she acts like that around every guy except for Silver.

Back