• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Back to my Ghosties!
Got to Kanto and did all the Power Plant stuff so I could get the Kanto expansion for the radio.
Got rid of Snorlax and headed straight to Pewter City where I destroyed Brock!

Challenge
Spoiler:

Badges
50px-Zephyr_Badge.png
50px-Hive_Badge.png
50px-Plain_Badge.png
50px-Fog_Badge.png
50px-Storm_Badge.png
50px-Mineral_Badge.png
50px-Glacier_Badge.png
50px-Rising_Badge.png

50px-Boulder_Badge.png

102.gif
Spoiler:
Current Team
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Platinum Ground Monotype, Update #9

Spoiler:

So here's my team:
Spoiler:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Platinum Started
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
-I got told by my friend to enter a library
-I healed
-I entered it
-GALACTIC BOMB
-I want to lake valor
-I beat team galactic
-I went to lake verity
-I lost to team galactic
-I beat team galactic
-I went up to acurity lakefront
-I got tunder fang to replace tackle! yay!
-I tried the gym
-I lost
-I bought 6 revives!
-I went to the old chateau because you can find a rotom there
-I realized that it didn't work unless I had the nat. pokedex
-I trained
-Static learned super fang!
-I tried the gym
-I failed
-I won!
-SAVE

SHOCK
405.gif

Level 43
Rivalry
Quirky
-Thunder Fang
-Spark
-Crunch
-Bite

STATIC
417.gif

Level 33
Pickup
Gentle
-Hidden Power Fire
-Cut
-Discharge
-Super Fang

ZAPPER
025.gif

Level 32
Static
Naughty
-Dig
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Strength

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
Do I account for primary typing or just see if its shares a typing?

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Went and got Sludge Bomb and Energy Ball for Gengar then beat Misty.

Challenge
Spoiler:

Badges
50px-Zephyr_Badge.png
50px-Hive_Badge.png
50px-Plain_Badge.png
50px-Fog_Badge.png
50px-Storm_Badge.png
50px-Mineral_Badge.png
50px-Glacier_Badge.png
50px-Rising_Badge.png

50px-Boulder_Badge.png
50px-Cascade_Badge.png

103.gif
Spoiler:
Current Team
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Platinum Bugmono Update 2
Spoiler:

Years
Platinum Ground Monotype, Update #10 - Final Update

Spoiler:

Here's my final team:

Spoiler:

That means I have completed the Ultimate Monotype Challenge for the Ground-type! Well, at least until X and Y come out.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Do I account for primary typing or just see if its shares a typing?

Vocal, as long as all of your teammates, bar your HM slaves, share one common type, it is classified as a monotype challenge. It doesn't matter if the type is primary or secondary. For example, if you were doing a Poison challenge, you could have a Beedrill, which is Bug/Poison, and a Nidoking, which is Poison/Ground, and it would work. You could also have a pure Poison type, like Muk, as well as the other two.

Speaking of Poison, my challenge has been slow lately. Here is a list of reasons why I've been paused lately.
Spoiler:

Anyways, I'll try to work on it in the near future. If not, I'll have to get back to it over a vacation or something. See you guys later.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Since X and Y are less than a week from release, I direct your attention to the contents of this post as it has information about the challenge and how the new games are affected by it. Also added some new info below the quote.
Important info regarding the release of Pokemon X & Pokemon Y

So, I feel that I should adress the release of X and Y, given the fact that it is only about a month and a half from release.

FAIR WARNING! THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS POST!

Alright, firstly I want to address something that I'm sure a lot of you are worried about. With the release of the 6th generation, the requirements of an Ultimate Challenge will obviously change. Anyone who has completed an Ultimate Challenge before X and Y are released, will still be credited as completing the challenge. Current Champions will be moved to a separate section which I will probably call "Gen 5 Ultimate Champions." You will be allowed to change any of these to a 6th gen Ultimate at any time. However, I will not cut off Gen 5 right away. I will give everyone til the end of 2013 to complete Gen 5 Ultimates if they desire. As of January 1st, 2014, any Ultimate Challenges will have to include X or Y to qualify.

Next, Fairy Type. As there will only be one set of games with Fairy Type in the beginning, it will not be allowed for Ultimate Challenges, only Singles. If we get Hoenn remakes this gen, like most people are hoping, then obviously we will have something to work with. But for now it's Single only.

This is gonna be an interesting experience, I'm not gonna lie. There is so much new territory to cover with these new games, so I am expecting there to be a lot of questions during the process of transition. No one should be afraid to ask questions, as it will help me build up the challenge for the new games. I also don't know where the games will end, if there will be weird E4 stuff like in B/W, or what post game will look like yet, so until I finish the games myself it will pretty much just be completing the E4 for the first time. Once I have a better grasp of the whole game I can make a better call on where X and Y will end for this challenge.

I wish you all the best of luck with your challenges, and can't wait to see what all of you do in Pokemon X & Pokemon Y! I myself am considering either a Fire mono for the cool Fire Types announced so far, including an awesome starter, or a Fairy Mono to play with the new type for my first XY Challenge.

-[Supporter]NecrumWarrior[/Supporter]

UPDATE! With the announcement of Pokemon Bank, I would like to clarify that you may not use it for bringing Pokemon into your game, unless your type is not available before the 3rd gym. I am hoping that this gen will have nothing like that, and will have one of each type early, but that is yet to be seen.

One more thing. I have never felt the need to clarify this before, but will do so now since X and Y's first Event Pokemon is a starter, namely Torchic. You may not use Pokemon obtained from an event, no matter the level or legendary status, even if you obtained it using the game you are doing your challenge on.

Additional info: Regarding those fancy Mega Evolutions you guys have been seeing, Mega Evolution is something that is a big unknown at this point. Obviously I can't say how they should be handled in a challenge until I play them myself and learn. Until I have more info, Mega Evolution will be allowed, as long as it does not eliminate the type you are playing from the Pokemon you are evolving. Also, Pokemon who only become your type by Mega Evolution are not allowed, since the evolution is temporary.

For example, the new Mega Charizard X evolution is Fire/Dragon. This means that if you are playing a Fire Monotype, you can use this evolution. However, if you are playing a Flying Monotype, then this evolution is not valid. Charizard is also not valid for Dragon Monotypes, since he can only become Dragon type by Mega Evolution.

Also, until the game has been thoroughly played through, the challenge will end when the credits roll. I am hoping there will be no reason for this to be otherwise, but it is to be seen.

Last edited:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Alright this place looks pretty hectic so I'm signing up

Username: Serperion
Type: Bug
Challenge: ULTIMATE
Game(s): Red/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum/White2

I'm beginning with Emerald because there aren't many bugs they do exist
AWAY I GO!

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Ok stuff that's happened

- Started the Game
- Got out of a Truck
- Got given a Mudkip
- Saved Prof. Birch
- Went to Route 103
- Got some Pokeballs
- Caught a Wurmple
- Trained the Wurmple on Route 102
- Wurmple evolved into Cascoon
- Went to Petalburg City
- Helped Wally catch a Ralts
-Trained Cascoon on Route 103
- Cascoon evolved into Dustox
- Ditched Mudkip
- Went into Petalburg Woods
- Caught a Silcoon
- Defeated Aqua Grunt
- Got out of Petalburg Woods
- Arrived at Rustboro City
- Trained in Route 116
- Caught Nincada
- Silcoon Evolved into Beautifly
- Trained Some More
- Defeated Roxanne the Rustboro City Gym Leader
- Hunted down the Aqua Grunt... Again
- Defeated May
- Caught a ride with Mr. Briney to Dewford Island
- Trained in Mt. Granite
- Nincada evolved into Ninjask and Shedinja
- Met Steve Stone
- Defeated Brawly
- Arrived at Slateport City
- Took the Soda Pop Challenge
- Got Soda Pop
- Visited the Shipyard
- Stopped Team Aqua stealing Devon Goods
- re-named Shedinja
- Trained out at Route 110
- Completed Trick House #1
- Defeated Rival... Again
- Arrived in Mauville City
- Defeated Wally
- Trained at Route 117
- Arrived at Vendaturf Town
- Saved Game

TEAM
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 12, 2015
Username: Kirky
Type: Electric
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Yellow, Gold, Emerald, Pearl, Black

Update: Yellow 3/8

Last edited:
Years
Haven't updated for a very very long time. Just been grinding and all pokemon are now at least level 55. I think i'm still a long ways off facing Alder.

My current team is:
Spoiler:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
More stuff happened today
- Defeated Wattson, Mauville City Gym Leader
- Travelled to the Winstrate's Family and defeated them
- Ventured to Fallador Town
- Went into Meteor Cave and encountered both Team Magma and Team Aqua
- Stopped Team Magma
- Defeated Flannery, Lavaridge Town Gym Leader
- Returned the Meteorite
- Opened up Vendaturf Tunnel
- Revived Anorith
- Arrived in Petalburg City
- Defeated Norma, Petalburg City Gym Leader
- Arrived at Weather Institute
- Defeated Team Aqua
- Arrived at Fortree City
- Obtained Devon Scope
- Saved Game

TEAM
Spoiler:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Electric Monotype - SS

Finally obtained all 16 badges after getting pounded to a pulp by Gary half a dozen times. Unfortunately my 'mon aren't ready for Red. Jolteon's Shock Wave doesn't do the damage I really need it to do so I'm once again grinding away at Voltorb Flip (/shrug). As far as I'm concerned, if Jolteon can OHKO Red's Lapras, it'll be worth it.

Current team:
Spoiler:

Years
I know I had already signed up for a Steel monotype run before but, I don't see my name there any more (probably since I haven't been on the site in months) so, I thought I'd re-sign up but with a different type (since Steel caused problems last time xD )

Username: CanadianBaconX
Type: Rock
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Red, HG, Sapphire, Diamond, White

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
had a damn close call with fantina

Spoiler:

CURRENT TEAM
Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Hey guys, it seems I forgot to hit save when I was updating the challenge yesterday, so I have to do all the work over again. Which is extremely annoying and I hate myself. Don't know when I'll have it updated again, as I am in the process of moving into an apartment with no internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back