• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Ol' Days of your first fic....

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
  • Yup, your VERY FIRST fic. The starting line for all authors as we know it! Fics that make you gaze in wonder at how far you've come as a writer. Fics that make you look back and say, "Wow, did I actually write that?" Take a moment to think back to when you began your very first story....

What was the title?

What was it about?

Did you get to finish it, or did you give up on it?

Did you ever rewrite it?

If not, do you plan to?

If you were to read the very same fic right now, would you like it?

If you still have it save somewhere, you an post an excerpt from it! (Just don't make them too long) You can comment on other people's excerpts, but please no flaming!

Here's Mine:

What was the title? Pokemon Adventure

What was it about? An eleven year old girl who gets tangled up with Team Rocket, and eentually sets out on a journey to take back the lost Pokemon and save Arceus from capture... It was really cheesy lolz.

Did you get to finish it, or did you give up on it? I gave up on it, lolz

Did you ever rewrite it? Nope

If not, do you plan to? No

If you were to read the very same fic right now, would you like it? Actually, no! Compared to how I write now, my first fic makes me laugh at myself sometimes....

Excerpt: (The prologue)

~~~ PROLOGUE ~~~
    About a year after Ash finished his adventure, there was a girl who made friends with Pokemon. Every day, she walked outside to feed wild Pokemon tasty snacks. Instead of playing with other girls, she preferred to spend the day outdoors. She had elbow length dirty blond hair and wears her trainer outfit: a blue flowered shirt, a matching solid light blue skirt, and black boots with gems. But this is the girl as she is in the end of the story. The girl we will soon get to know is a shy, curious girl who practically lives outside. Now we will get to know the bad guys: Team Rocket. You'd think that they gave up after Ash was gone, but no they didn't! This time, they had a plan. A plan they kept secret from everyone: to capture Aruseus and recreate the world of Pokemon. Now it was up to this shy Pokemon-loving girl to stop them. Does she have what it takes?

Have fun :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Not really a different fic but the first edition of my ongoing fic. Still my first attempt at fan fiction, though...

What was the title? Lurking in the Shadows: A Tale of a Girl and Her Ultimate Challenge (even longer than the current name lol!)

What was it about? Journey fic starring a 15-year old girl...

Did you get to finish it, or did you give up on it? Stopped after 33 chapters. Wasn't getting the reviews I was hoping for and the writing was embarrassing me:/

Did you ever rewrite it? Currently in rewriting as my current fic.

If not, do you plan to? Yep, and hopefully I'll finish it this time!

If you were to read the very same fic right now, would you like it? Not in its original form - short chapters, bare-bones description, and way too rushed...

Teh DREADED excerpt. Read with FEAR my rushing of events and poor description!:
    Koffing smiled at Lisa and so did Meowth.

"Okay then!" Lisa took out a Pokeball and placed it in front of Koffing. With a flash of red light, Koffing disappeared into the Pokeball.

"Boo-yah! We caught a Koffing!"

"Meowth meow meow!"

Just then Lisa saw a purple Pokemon with buck teeth. She activated her Pokedex. "Rattata, the rat Pokemon. Rattata travel in large groups and feed off anything they can find." The Rattata charged in at Lisa and if not for her quick movewment would have taken a bite out of her foot!

(all typos in the quoted part are actual typos from the fic)

Last edited:

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
    Years
  • What was the title?
    I honestly do not remember. ._.; Thus, I'm assuming it was something generic. XD;

What was it about?
    I do remember this. I don't actually remember how far I got with it, but I planned out my story in my head, and it went like this: The prologue was a bully going too far and chasing someone off the cliff to his supposed death. Then, the story follows his little brother who gets curious about his brother's death, so he goes out to search for answers (remember - first fic!). They encounter someone from Team Jet (still - first fic!), who is actually lead by the supposedly deceased older brother.

Team Jet's objective was to capture the fabled Fossa and Fossi, two legendary pokemon that are the parents of Mew. The little brother and his friends try to stop him.

Did you ever finish it?
    I gave up on it. By about chapter 5/6 I could see that I had done it badly, so lost motivation to continue.

Did you ever rewrite it?
    No.

If not, do you plan to?
    Not in the near future. It would be interesting to revisit it someday, though.

If you were to read the same fic now, would you like it?
    No. It was too rushed, the characters were one-dimensional, the plot was shaky, and there wasn't enough description.

Bay

Years
  • What was the title?
    Heart of the Sea

What was it about?
    Basically about a Pokemon fisherman who suddenly caught a Whsicash but struggles with it.

I managed to finish it.

Did you ever rewrite it?

No.

If not, do you plan to?
    Maybe one day, the first parts of it. I'm actually proud of myself of how the second part of the story turned out as I steadily improved after taking advice from my readers.

Probably not as it consists of bad grammar and poor description. XD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Oh geez. This should be fun. XD

What was the title?
    "The Chronicles of Spritt."

Explanation: Spritt was a fancreated Pokemon, essentially an alternate starter in Kanto. (This was before Johto, so I was writing as if Kanto was the only land in the Pokemon world. i.e. Ash was going on a journey through a different set of Gyms than the canon eight, there was another place to get starters, and this all was in Kanto.) Specifically, it was a Water/Ice-type, blue-and-green penguin. Yes, penguin.

As in, those jerks at Nintendo stole my idea and called it Piplup. *fistshake*

Hence, the title of the fic came from the fancreated Pokemon, who belonged to the lead Mary Sue main character.

What was it about?
    A girl named Chasidy, who was the partly-orphaned daughter of a Gym Leader (as in, her father, a Flying-type GL, was still alive, but her mother died tragically of a disease) had started off a journey with her three BFFs (whose names I think were Brianna, Josh, and Kathy, although I can't entirely remember anymore) prior to the start of the fic. Ash, meanwhile, had finished battling the E4 (because, again, this was before anyone knew about the Pokemon League Competition) and had nothing better to do, so what does he do? Goes out and attempts to catch more Pokemon with his best buddies by his side.

By some sort of (un)funny happening, Pikachu and Spritt end up meeting, which then leads to Chasidy and her gang meeting up with Ash and his. Chasidy and her gang naturally and automatically strike up a friendship with Ash and company (actually, namely, Misty), and they tell Ash about an alternate set of Gyms around the area. Ash, being who he is, decides to go out and earn more badges and fight the E4 again, so he kind of makes Chasidy and her group his guides to the alternate circuit.

Chapters were divided up as episodes, and there were a lot of fun and stolen plots being planned throughout the series. Like a matchmaker coming in and deciding Ash and Chasidy needed to hook up and Misty getting mistaken for an actress and kidnapped.

*HEADDESK*

I eventually gave up on it, thankfully after the first couple of chapters.

Did you ever rewrite it?
    No. There really would have been no way to do so. It was that bad. And I lost the original chapters and plans anyway.

If not, do you plan to?
    Absolutely not. I couldn't if I wanted to anyway. I deleted any existence of it from my computers and the internets. Yes, I put the thing on the internet.

Ahhahaha no. All of the OCs were Mary Sues (to the point where I think the three girls had psychic powers of some sort), the plots were ripoffs of other stories I've read or otherwise generic for OT stories, and the style was generally terrible (albeit readable) and littered with A/Ns.

The only things I did like about it were Spritt and the concept of a trainer going through an alternate set of gyms within the same region, I think.

Luckily, I have no excerpt of the beast.

yeo101

A Pocketful of Rye
    Years
  • What was the title?
    Pokemon Journey(Kanto/Sinnoh/Hoenn/Johto)

What was it about?
    Based off my FireRed game. It chronicled the Adventures of Steel Kairi, a feisty girl who is Kanto's champion, and her rival Blue as they travel through the regions on research missions for Prof.Oak, having to battle the baddies, save the world, make new friends and deal with typical teenager woes.

Wrote Kanto, Sinnoh I, Sinnoh II and tossed it aside half-way through Hoenn

Did you ever rewrite it?
    Its my current fic. I'm writing the Kanto Saga now.(See the link in my signature?)

If not, do you plan to?
    Not really...too much talking, too little action.

EXCERPT:
    "What did you do that for!"
    Blue sighed as Steel proceeded to yell at him. He was trying to dry off his shirt.
    "It seemed fun."
    "It wasn't fun, you obsoelete Croagunk! I'm totally soaked!"
    "I'm glad you're not wearing white."
    "You idiot! Dewy, Ice Beam!"
    "Light Screen!"
    Steel could only glare at Blue.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • As this is the same thread as the one on Serebii, I reserve the right to blantently copy and paste my answer from there.

Well, it ain't that old, so not quite the 'good old days', but there were good, I suppose, but my story has definately gotten better I feel.

What was the title?
    The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum

What was it about? Basically, my retake on the game Pokemon Colosseum. I had played it, enjoyed it, but hated the vast amount of plotholes. At the time, I had stopped writing some comedy scripts of sorts (not fanfiction, original characters in the rela world comedy kind of thing), and was thinking about writing, and had a few ideas on fixing some of Colo's plotholes. In the end it was more or less a spur-of-the-moment thing - ah, hell, I'll do it!' And so it began. Mostly a comedy retake on the game, with my explanations on various missing elements the game had.

Well, it's still going strong, albeilt slowly. Done chapter ten now, and have a prologue, but only up to Miror B's battle scene. Still in the process of keeping it going - adament that it shall be finished, no matter how long it takes.

Did you ever rewrite it?
    No... most I've ever done (well, doing), is fleshing it out with more description, particularly in the eariler chapters. Hadn't aimed it to be like so originally, still having a tiny bit of the 'script' frame of mind and type of comedy (a fair bit of dialogue) :/ Then I got more familar with fanfiction, and as my chapters started getting longer and I started doing more and more explanations, I didn't see why I shouldn't go and give the chapters a bit of a polish.

Probably, being an avid fan of comedy.
    smile.gif
    Hey, I like what I write.
    wink.gif

As for exerpts... gah, I'm lazy, and there's too many moments that I like personally. Insert various moments with Miror B, Johnson and also Tom, and also some with a combination of two of them here. Heh.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Interesting topic, lovely to bring back the days of when I wrote fics...
    ` What was the title?
    Boy and His Greatblue
    ` What was it about?
    To put it simply, it was a true story about how I grew up with an inseparable pocket monster which was later on stolen from me.
    ` Did you get to finish it, or did you give up on it?
    I finished it, as it was pretty much all done at once.
    ` Did you ever rewrite it?
    Unfortunately, no, I never did rewrite it.
    ` If not, do you plan to?
    My fan fiction writing is a stall at this point, I couldn't say no though. Maybe I will, maybe...
    ` If you were to read the very same fic right now, would you like it?
    I would love to read it again.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Well, I probably did try to write a few things before this one, but if I did they were either ended too quickly or too unimportant for me to remember... So, here's the earliest fanfic memory I have.

What was the title? "Wild and Free", or something like that...

What was it about? To put it simply, a Pidgeotto who escaped his trainer, and his life in the forest as a wild Pokemon. That's minus the excessively repetitive hunting of prey, pointless "adventures", and rediculously short one-page excuses for chapters. :/

Did you get to finish it, or did you give up on it? I think I started to realize how stupid it was when I was getting near what I hoped would be the climax. At this, I gave up on it and decided to look for better, more worthwhile ideas.

Did you ever rewrite it? Nope.

If not, do you plan to? If I run out of all other ideas, have a rediculous urge to write anything I can, and for some retarded reason don't have the internet, PMD2, and/or Smash Bros. Brawl to keep me entertained, possibly.

If you were to read the very same fic right now, would you like it? I'd probably rotfl through the first few chapters and then feel too ashamed of my prior fanfiction-n00b self to keep reading. Then I'd probably read every fic I have on my computer that is at all better and try to erase the suckiness from my brain. :P

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years
  • As this is the same thread as the one on Serebii, I reserve the right to blantently copy and paste my answer from there.

As do I.

What was the title?

Blaziken's Revenge. Don't ask. Seriously.

What was it about?

It was about a Torchic that had somehow gotten into the real world. A scientist put it in a machine and mutated it into a Blaziken. It blew up the lab and proceeded to meet a kid. Then the government chased it down and shot it with a missile.

Yeah I gave up on it. To write another not so terrible fic called United Front, which was the inspiration (four years later) for Blazing Dreams.

Did you ever rewrite it?

No.

If not, do you plan to?

Maybe someday. As a parody fic about my writing.

Hell no. I'd viciously lay into it about how noobish it was.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Oooh, fun topic!

What was the title?

Mission Pokemon.

What was it about?

It was meant to be a PMD fic but drifted from that pretty quickly. Basically, a young girl mysteriously turned into a Pokemon and after joining a rescue team, get's spiraled into some plot set up by some of the Legends to destroy the world.

Unfortunately, I quit at Chapter 23.

Did you ever rewrite it?

No.

If not, do you plan to?

Maybe but if I do, the plot and characters will more surely be somewhat different.

I actually started reading over this fic a couple of weeks ago and I was close to erasing the documents from how bad the quality was. It so nic eto know that I've gotten much better. ^^

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    What was the title?
    Poke Special Manga: DP

What was it about?
    It's basically a Diamond and Pearl game based story, however, you add in a little Neo Team Rocket vs. Team Galactic controversy and you've got yourself a story. It follows Diamond, an intelligent, tactical trainer, Pearl, the comedic and skilled battler, and Dawn, the sassy, Professor's assistant, in their quest to stop Team Galactic and Neo Team Rocket. Along the way, they deal with personal problems and past, present, and future problems.

I definitely plan on finishing it. I'm 45 chapters in and I'm certainly enjoying it.

Did you ever rewrite it?
    I definitely plan on rewriting the first volume. In the second volume, I changed the names of the characters who are now known as Pearl (was named Damion) and Dawn (who was named Pearl).

If not, do you plan to?
    -See above-

I think I would. It's very enteraining, dramatic, and descriptive in my honest opinion. -nod- Maybe you should read it sometime? ;)

Banov

Master of Kecleon
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    Uhm... well... Having read the others, I feel that mine's going to be among the worst. I've come a long way since that fateful first attempt =p

What was the title?
    "Banov's Amazing Pokemon Adventure"
    There, I said it.

What was it about?
    A journey fiction starring a Mary-Sue self insertion that I made up as I went along.

I got all the characters by submission; lots of people gave me their characters (about 95% self insertions) and I made a plot about how we all banded together one way or another to fight Team Aqua and Magma. a lot of them were trinaers who had stated to work for one of the teams, but quit to join Banov in the fight aganst them.

Because I guess I'm just that good.

Interesting story with this one, actually.

Around chapter 33, I stopped. It was getting very close to the end but I was embarrassed with the writing at that point. About a year and a half later, somebody else came along and finished it, writing about 7 more chapters. They were really good =o

Did you ever rewrite it?
    Aha no.

If not, do you plan to?
    Hahahaha... no.

Oh, God no. It was awful.

Ichikool

D/P Lover
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    My very first fanfiction ever just sucked... I wrote it in a notebook, never to type or post it actually. I was in the fifth grade, come on. ^^;

What was the title?: Kona

What was it about?: A spotted rabbit named Kona with 'red lightning' powers. He was wanted by some gods because of his power, and so the gods killed all his loved ones to get to him.

Did you get to finish it, or did you give up on it?: Finished it, I wanted to make a sequal but stopped.

Did you ever rewrite it?: No xD

If not, do you plan to?: ...No I don't think so... xD

If you were to read the very same fic right now, would you like it: I'd probably cry my eyes out laughing. I threw it out a couple of months ago, sadly.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Oooo

What was the title?

Johto Journeys Max's Story

What was it about?

Ugh... it was a fricken' OT fic. I look back now and think... what was I doing?

Basically, a boy starts his journey in Johto... yeah :/.

I believe I gave up on it. Only two Chapters long... and boy are they short :(.

Did you ever rewrite it?

Nope.

If not, do you plan to?

Of course not! I hate OT fics...

No. It's poor quality, too short... and stoopid. Plus, I hate reading my own work...

Johto Journeys
    Max's Story

Chapter 1: A New Beginning

Our story begins with a boy named Max. Today is his 10th birthday and the day where he finally gets to choose his first pokemon at Professor Elm's Laboratory.

"Max, hurry downstairs or your breakfast will get cold!" his mom yells. Max hurries downstairs, "Do you know what today is?" his mother asks him. "Mom, you know I've been waiting my whole life for this day", an annoyed Max replies. "Just make sure you're careful out there." "O.K. mom." Max rushes and eats his bacon and eggs and says his final goodbye to his mom. He sprints outside, gets on his bike and starts riding the mile distance to the Pokemon Lab..

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • WOOT!
    Name: ...
    Mike's Pokemon Journey... (yep it was OT)

What was it about?
    OT...but...it's meant to be funny....ish

Uh...it isn't finished yet...

Did you ever rewrite it?
    Not finished

If not, do you plan to?
    Maybe, if I realise that it is indeed crappy.

Hell yeah! I mean, I only wrote it last month!

Thing is, I'm still writing that fic.
    Started last month :D

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • What was the title?

Eon Chronicles. Still working on it (working out a brain cramp I'm getting from writing chapter 22 by posting this).

What was it about?

Being as convoluted as possible. I have roughly three hundred thousand plot threads that I'm hoping I can weave into a beautiful tapestry of a story before they break off (i.e. before I forget about them). Seriously though, it's the typical coming-of-age story set in medieval times with pokemon where nothing is as it seems. It's also character driven, which was my best and worst decision when I started writing it (best because it's simply the best way to write a story, worst because I'm bad at dialogue).

Did you ever finish it?

Not yet.

Did you ever rewrite it?

If you count re-doing each chapter a zillion times before posting, then yeah.

If not, do you plan to?

See above.

If you were to read the same fic now, would you like it?

I'd love it. It's fairly campy near the beginning and problems seem to be solved too easily, but I love the genre and the subject and...let's put it this way. I'm writing something I'd like to read, so it will probably always have a special charm for me no matter how bad my grammar and sentence structure and plot elements were near the beginning.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    What was the title?
    The Battle That Broke The Rayquaza's Back

What was it about?

Rayquaza gets fed up with battling constant humans and not having a challenge, so it summons a bunch of other legendaries and goes on a rampage through the world.
    Gave up really early, after the second chapter.
    Did you ever rewrite it?
    No.
    If not, do you plan to?
    Yes, I'd like to revise the first two chapters and then continue on, since I actually had a decent-length story planned out.
    I might like it, but it was a bit lacking in character development and description. I still like my plot, though.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • What was the title?
    Bearing in mind I was about 12 at the time, it was called "KAIRA'S POKÉMON JOURNEY".

What was it about?
    Well, it was about a girl called Kaira and sort of followed the plot of the GSC games a bit. Then she met Molly Hale from the third Pokémon movie a few years after the end of the film, and she came with her. Kaira's Pokémon included Chikorita (I think she evolved into a Bayleef), Flaafy, Sentret (who evolved into a Furret) and Togetic. Oh, and I think Kaira was actually adopted, and she was in fact the daughter of Karen and Lance. Or something.

I gave up on it xD

Did you ever rewrite it?
    Heck no.

If not, do you plan to?
    Not really, it was FAR TOO GENERIC and I can see now that it was just total fail.

I think I'd label it "LOL GENERIC POKÉMON TRAINER STORY" durng the first few pages, and just not read it.

I'm afraid I don't have an excerpt, because it was written on paper with illustrations ;D

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
    Years
  • What was the title?
    Now and Forever

What was it about?
    A pokemon trainer, son of a gym leader, journeys throughout the Hakkou Region.

Didn't finish it, but didn't actually give up on it. Got to chapter 14 but only posted 4.

Did you ever rewrite it?
    Currently am still rewriting the rewrite of the rewrite of the rewrite of the rewrite of the... Needless to say, it's the same region and some background info but greatly evolved.

No, because it was horrible, short, and rampant with cliche.

Back