• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I can't seem to do it.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I can't seem to start any new fic. I haven't written anything since my one-shot "Waiting". Both of them got nothing but good reviews, so it's not that problem.. Obviously, writer's block. >> So, my question is, what do you do to get past it? This has happened every time I try to start something.. and then I just gave up. I was lucky to finish the first two one-shots I did. I don't want it to happen again.

And, um, yeah. ^^ Help would be appreciated.. I want to release something soon.

Roxy

What goes here? o__0
    Years
  • Even though it`s writers block isn`t like an Art(drawer)`s block, I still think it`s the same..concept. So, I think you should just write random sentances until an idea hits you like a ton of bricks.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I just stare at the four walls and wait for inspiration to strike. xP Actually, I try to write something. I don't really stop writing and claim writer's block. I just keep on going. If what I have is horrible writing, then I can just go back and edit it. If it's good, then I've lucked out. ^^;

Don't just claim writer's block. Keep writing something, and inspiration will strike again.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I just stare at the four walls and wait for inspiration to strike. xP Actually, I try to write something. I don't really stop writing and claim writer's block. I just keep on going. If what I have is horrible writing, then I can just go back and edit it. If it's good, then I've lucked out. ^^;

Don't just claim writer's block. Keep writing something, and inspiration will strike again.

Man, I thought you were serious at first. :(

Anyway, I have plenty of ideas. A whole list of them. I just can't.. write them. Bah. I'll see what I can do tonight, when I'm 100% sure I won't be disturbed by anyone.

Years
  • Heh, writer's block does not exist. It's just an excuse we all make to justify the lack of inspiration, motivation and determination. Of course, there are times when we just don't get struck, but the least we can do is avoid excusing ourselves and be patient. Don't feel any pressure, it's just going to make all harder.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    People take me seriously? o_O; Wow. I don't know what to feel.

But, I see what sort of problem you are having. Right now, I have a few ideas swimming in my head for my Pokemon fanfiction. I can see a few scenes going through my mind, but I just can't get them down. One problem is that I have no time to actually write between work and reviewing fanfictions. Another problem is that I switch around from interest to interest. So there would be times that I wouldn't want to write a Pokemon fic, but a Digimon one.

And then there are the times that I don't want to write anything for any fandom. During this time, I don't write at all, instead I would play other video games and not think about writing. But then I start to feel like I'm just missing something in my life, and I have to start writing.

I'm like that now. I feel like I have to write. So I just sit with a notebook, or with a Word document open, and try to get something down. And here's where the rest of my post still stands. My writing really isn't good, and I'm not all that satisfied with what I have, but it is better than nothing. So I'm satisfied with the fact that I am actually writing.

But really, don't force yourself. Sometimes you do just need a break and allow yourself to take a breath. Your brain needs to have time to refresh itself, have some time to recover from churning out ideas. You typed up two short stories. Give yourself a break. Don't worry that you haven't posted anything in a while. I know people who take months between chapters. You do deserve a break.

Boredom is a good way to get inspiration. I've heard many successful stories of people who couldn't write, and they dropped themselves in the middle of nature. Staring at trees does wonders for creativity.

Bah. I hope this post helped more than my previous one. ^^

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I meant I thought the staring at the four walls thing was serious. XD But no, I take your - and everyone else's - posts seriously.

Anyway, I got a rough draft of the oneshot done last night. There's a start.

Thanks for the help guys. ;)

Back