• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Old Chateau

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
  • As you wandered Eterna Forest, eager to battle the strong master of the Grass-type Gardenia, you stroll past a peculiar location known as the Old Chateau...sadly, you can't access it.

Fast forward a gym battle and confrontation with Cynthia, and you're back at this odd mansion - You happen to come across Gardenia, who says that hse wants to go in to check it out, but asks you to instead (chicken much)
    ...you cut down the trees in front, and enter...

WHOA! What a sight! It's abandoned. It's quiet. It's suspicious. You scope it out, and you see a ghost waiter? Wha...? You keep looking, and see paintings following your every move. If you tapped the TV, you'll find a certain Pokemon inside, waiting to jump out...
    You go back downstairs, and into the dining room. A long table stretches out in front, and then you see what seems to be a ghost girl. You try to follow her, but it's no use :(

What did you think about the Old Chateau? Scary? Needed? Fun?
    Discuss! ^-^

Last edited:

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • I liked this place quite a bit. It let me get a Gengar when I had no one to trade with and I like creepy atmospheres in general. Honestly, it was a nice touch to the forest and the game overall. I think I legit got scared the first time I went in. It was like... midnight. XD

Years
  • 2 days ago I went there just to get Rotom. I named him BROTOM and he's gonna be in my new dream team. I really like this place, and I consider it like needed and fun.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    The Old Chateau was one of the most interesting locations in D/P/Pt, honestly. It has twists and turns at every corner along with the feeling of an eerie presence wandering about. The backstory behind it is interesting and there were definitely a few surprises along the way- including Rotom jumping out of the television at 8PM approximately. The music was chilling and the items scattered around the old place were valuable and there were even items exclusively found in the Chateau itself. I also loved how you could catch Gengar in the postgame if you had a Firered cartridge inserted as well.

The only real flaws I could think of is that I was disappointed by the lack of spooky Pokemon. Sure Gastly was a great Pokemon but I would of liked to see more diversity and perhaps other ghost-like Pokemon such as Shuppet and Banette. Other than that the Old Chateau was definitely fun exploring and for me is one of my favourite places in the series.

Years
  • The Old Chateau was a pretty neat inclusion into the game, providing both a Rotom and the generally illusive Gengar, under the right conditions. I really liked the pictures on the wall that would have eyes watching you unless you were looking at it, and it was a bit of a shock seeing the ghost of a girl and a waiter floating around, even if you knew it was coming.

I would have to agree with Narnia- the Old Chateau was awful light on the Ghost Pokemon (only Gastly if you don't have a GBA game attached), especially when there had been a good dozen introduced up to that point. Nonetheless, the Old Chateau (and its successor in BW2's Strange House) was a very interesting location, especially with how out of the norm it is compared to the rest of the game.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • The old chateu was a interesting place in D/P/PL not only homing Gengar and Rotom. It also homed two ghost Easter egg sprites. It was probably second only to the strange house in fifth gen for spooky places.

Years
  • I thought it was really cool! I actually spent most of my day yesterday battling loads of Gastly for EV training in Specail Attack, haha. That's one thing I like about it I guess; the fact that ONLY Gastly appear. Also the whole Rotom thing is cool too, as well as finding Gengar in the wild if you have Emerald (or any GBA game? I can't remember) in the GBA slot.

As well as that, I very much like the music. I like that even though this is a place in the game that the player has the choice of NEVER visiting, it has its own theme (as opposed to using a Cave theme or something). They really captured a spooky atmosphere in the music, IMO.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I thought it was quite a neat location. Definitely spooky thanks to creepy music + ghosts. The Gengar thing was pretty sweet too, as GTS is awful for evolution trades. The only thing that disappoints me about it is that Rotom's formes aren't somehow available from there in post-game in Platinum, they're really cool yet I can't get them outside Sinnoh. Still, not a gripe with Old Chateau itself so...

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • It was a great little addition to the games, but I would have much loved if there were more of a backstory to the area, other than a few ghosts and creepy paintings. What I also would have loved if there were a much larger variety of Pokemon available for capture. Even if some of them perhaps could only be able to be caught after defeating the E4 and Cynthia etc. I think it has great potential, but didn't particularly live up to that potential completely.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • I absolutely loved the Old Chateau! ^-^ The atmosphere (I love the music here!), the mysteriosity, the creepiness... It's great fuel for imaginative fans; I remember long ago, before Platinum expanded on the Old Chateau story a bit, there was a good discussion about Old Chateau theories here on PC. A friend of mine even wrote a fanfic using some of those theories and built upon them with her own thoughts. So yeah, I was pretty happy that the Strange House gave off similar vibes.

Years
  • I have to admit the Old Chateau was one of my fave "spooky" locations in a Pokemon game, alongside B2/W2's Strange House. The Gastly found there can make for a pretty good team member if you can evolve it to Gengar. I haven't caught Rotom sadly but I should try to sometime.

Adrian!

Urban Adventurer
    Years
  • The backstory behind it is interesting and there were definitely a few surprises along the way- including Rotom jumping out of the television at 8PM approximately.

What's the backstory!? Also, I've never seen the ghosts inside! :[ How do I make them show up?

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I found the Old Chateau pretty spooky, especially the first time I saw the ghost girl walking out of the empty room and that butler floating around. The suspicious red eyes on the poster that follows you wherever you go is pretty eerie too. I agree with those above that more Ghost-types should have been added besides Gastly. Seeing Gastly after Gastly could be quite boring after some time. As for the Rotom in the TV, I caught it while staying up pretty late one night at around 3 am. (How did you make it come out at 8 pm, Sophie? O.o) Yup, great addition to the game I must say.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • I never even bothered exploring the Old Chateau! I just went in there for Rotom and left straight after catching it; I didn't think there would be anything else worth perusing.

Still, it seems like a pretty interesting place if you go in-depth enough, and I would pay a bit more attention to it if I were to roll through another Diamond playthrough (which isn't likely). That being said, a backstory would be a nice touch for such an apparently mysterious location; everything feels a bit shallow when there's no explanation whatsoever for a ghostly girl and waiter appearing out of nowhere.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I liked the Old Chateau, despite its creepiness. The ghosts of the girl and the butler were a neat touch, IMO, to instill a hint of fear.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2016
    I would have loved to see the character getting pulled into the TV and you have to go on this chase for Rotom. Just the fact that you are being pulled into another world would make me second guess ever going back into that mansion, or it would intrigue me more to go back and find out if there was more to offer. I love the Old Chateau, and I prefer it over Lavender Town, and that's coming from a Gen 1 lover. I just feel it had more of a mystery than a town with a ghost tower.

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Years
  • When I first saw that ghost girl(I wanted to see the red eyed poster) I wasn't scared at all. Same with the butler and the picture. But then I entered again and now I can't enter in any of the rooms with the ghosts(excluding rotom's room) or I'll have nightmares about the ghosts trying to kill me.

Warship

異議あり!
    Years
  • i remember me and my friends trying to solve the mystery of the chateau late in night but we didnt succeed of course. it was pretty creepy still and i still visit there every now and then to see the ghosts and sp.atk ev training. it could have a bigger variety of ghost pokemon though.

Virgilin

Salmon Fishing in Vulcan
    Years
  • I had come across the Old Chateau while I was still a noob. It was a creepy experience for me. I somehow find it creepier than Lavender town :/ I tried to talk to the ghosts or to make them appear at least to get some sort of event! I was dissappointed that that never happened -_- Though that creepy house on BW2 reminds me of the Old Chateau.

Back