• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I could use some team help :3

Anti

return of the king
Years
  • The only decent fifth generation team I've made revolved around Sand Stream + Landorus. After a few teams I didn't like and didn't suit how I play, I went back to that basic strategy. I haven't tested this team a whole lot but I'm quite sure I know what I hate about it...so I'm posting it. That's really all there is to say.

----------------------------

248.gif
    645.gif
    598.gif
    130.gif
    479%20WF.gif
    530.gif

----------------------------

248.gif

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 16 Def / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Curse
    - Crunch
    - Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch

SS lead to start things off, but it's a unique moveset as you might have guessed. The basic idea is to put pressure on the opponent right away if Tyranitar has a good chance to lure the opponent. After a Curse, Tyranitar is very difficult to break through, which lets him take any non-crit hit from Excadrill or Garchomp to KO with the appropriate elemental punch. I am considering removing Leftovers in favor of Lum Berry to aid this though sometimes Tyranitar just won't get a chance to sweep and he's relegated to a defensive role...and losing Leftovers would suck for that. But yeah, losing to random Scald burns sounds like no fun, so I need advice there. EDIT: I'm using Lum Berry, it's just tough to pass up the free pass against status.

The EVs let Tyranitar OHKO Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Excadrill after a Curse boost. With SR down it usually KOes Gliscor. I'm pretty sure that the Special Defense lets it survive just about any unSTABed Focus Blast. The rest was thrown into Defense to help it survive STAB Earthquakes...so yeah. These EVs need to be tweaked, I know, but for now that's what they are. Also, I like how after one Curse this still outspeeds mega slow things like Escavalier, Reuniclus, and Ferrothorn. lol >_<

[/gimmick]

645.gif

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Brick Break

This thing is seriously amazing lol. It really packs a ton of power. This is my primary mid game sweeper, which is usually when I can get him in. I know the last slot isn't the best choice probably but I like its ability to bypass Balloon Pokemon as well as breaking screens if necessary. I also couldn't really find a better choice...Rock Polish didn't really appeal to me all that much, I guess. If you have any suggestions, fire away. But yeah, this is an amazing attacker/sweeper. It doesn't even need a boost to do a ton of damage, making it a good revenge killer against slower Pokemon who can't take an Earthquake (I'm looking at you, Haxorus).

598.gif

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball
    - Leech Seed
    - Stealth Rock

Part One of the defensive core, and I'm finding out that the metagame is finally starting to adapt to this beast. Still, he's great for setting up Stealth Rock (I would have Spikes but I lack anything else that can really use Stealth Rock). I have to be careful for random HP Fires though and so far I've been pretty bad at that haha. Nevertheless, this guy is pretty necessary. Leech Seed is good for keeping him healthy of course, but its real use is wearing down the opponent into Excadrill/Landorus sweep range. Ferrothorn really has too many uses to mention.

130.gif

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Waterfall
    - Dragon Tail

This is mostly just here to be annoying by racking up a little Stealth Rock damage. Gyarados' synergy with Ferrothorn is amazing: both resist each others' weaknesses, and only two type hit them for neutral damage (Ice and Flyging)...at least I think so :x. But yeah, this is here to PHaze BP crap regardless of Taunt as well. Obviously, this is also a status abosrber even though the new sleep timer is seriously annoying if I have to switch this out early. Even so, Sleep Talking into a Dragon Tail or two can get it awake again which is nice. But...yeah, welcome to my only answer to Conkeldurr or Breloom or probably other things I don't know of.

The EVs are totally random, btw. If you have a better spread, fire away. I don't really know what this does except "yay it's bulky woooooo!"

479%20WF.gif

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Pain Split

This has replaced Virizion and so far he has done a good job. Volt Switch is cool for momentum and whatnot while Will-O-Wisp is just flat-out annoying...I really wanted to put in Shadow Ball but couldn't really find a spot for it =(. But Rotom has done his job well, which has mostly been keeping Excadrill in check and keeping the game in my control.

I didn't use any Speed EVs because I didn't really see the point in outpacing Scizor or Breloom when Gyarados beats both of them rather soundly. Making Rotom a more balanced tank with Special Defense EVs seemed logical to me though I'm willing to put them elsewhere if anyone has a better place to put them.

Here is the "what should I replace Virizion with?" conflict I had from the previous incarnation of this slot since this slot hasn't been settled yet...

Spoiler:

530.gif

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin / X-Scissor / Brick Break

Haters gonna hate.

This is a very solid revenge killer and sweeper that is not as easy to stop as some people (AKA just about everyone on this forum) claim. Excadrill is solid! The last slot does need help though since Brick Break was mostly a filler to piss off screens + BP + sweeper teams (once again), but I feel like one of the other two options would be more useful. Rapid Spin keeps Gyarados healthy and prevents wearing down in general while X-Scissor seems quite solid for Lati@s. NOTE: Currently testing Rapid Spin with somewhat iffy results so an X-Scissor test and a retest of Brick Break will likely happen soon.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It seems like you put a lot of care into picking your team. First off, I would do away with virizion and get hydreigon in there. I also noticed that your team has a potential weakness to water types but it should really be anything to serious to worry about. All in all I think you have a good team but I think you may be relying on Landorus to much. He's a wonderful pokemon and a great fast sweeper but I think if you dropped virizion for Hydreigon you'd find life to be much easier. :] Now you should go rate my team.

Soul_Silver_pkmnbreeder

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Because Tyranitar is your lead, don't rely on SR damage for OHKOs. I agree, ditch the Fight/ Grass type.

AttackThorn? No. Ferrothorn is a wall, period, the same as a SweepSmeargle doesn't exist. Go Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, Iron Head/ Power Whip, and some other status move.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Umm... guys that is the standard defensive Ferrothorn except with Stealth Rock instead of Spikes... =/

Anyways you do look like you have a problem with Landorus and Thundurus as you mentioned, but Reuniclus can also stop you pretty cold with its Trick Room Set and can come in on Ferrothorn to set this up, once it gets that it will take a good chunk of your team so Ferrothorn is REALLY crucial, make sure it stays alive.

As for the genies, you're going to have to rely on one of your teammates to take out Thundurus and keep it from ripping your team apart. If you can predict right, you can bring Excadrill in on a Thunderbolt and wipe it out with Rock Slide, since that and SR and SS should bring Thundurus down in one shot at least.

That leaves Landorus as a major issue and Thundurus as a minor... Scarf Rotom can actually work to bring down both sweeper versions (lead T-Waves from Thundurus should fall to a single Ice Punch thanks to Sand Storm) with Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt.

That's all I really have for now, but I'll try to find other answers.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • With the exception of Gliscor, I don't need Stealth Rock for any KOes: after Curse, the minimum damage is over 100% for all of the threats mentioned. I am considering upping its Attack to kill Gliscor, but honest, it's not like a Gliscor at 20% health can do a whole lot anyways. As long as I keep pressure on it and force it out of the battle, it won't be able to impede Landorus or Excadrill later. And that's what matters.

Yeah, I put in defensive Rotom-W to do basically what the Scarfer does only minus the set-up fodder stuff which makes me hate most Scarfers so much. I still haven't faced an opposing Landorus with this line-up but I reckon that Rotom will survive a Stone Edge (I don't know of a Calc that factors in Sand Power so it's hard to say for sure), but yeah he does concern me...especially with Hydro Pump's terrible accuracy. Since Rotom's slot is still undecided, I'm willing to adjust this as much as possible. I would like to try to avoid Choice Scarf Rotom though since it's entirely reactionary and is a momentum zapper against any team type.

I'll test Hydreigon as well. I haven't quite gotten around to it...certainly it will help with stall, but with offense I'm skeptical. That's what testing is for, haha.

Thanks to everyone for rating.

Back