• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Solution to Your Hacking Tools Showing Strange Values

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Introduction
First of all, I didn't exactly know where to put this, so I put it in the Tutorials section.
More and more people have been coming up with questions about their ROM editors showing random hex values, or not even being able to function altogether. Lower down the page is a collection of screenshots that exhibit this. If you are getting a Read/Write permission error or File Not Found error, it is probably because of the fact that your ROM is open in another program.

Understanding the Problem
Your computer was set up with traits incompatible with the hacking tool.
For example, I set up my computer in Japanese, so naturally, it would be in a Japanese encoding, instead of Unicode, which is used by machines set up in American English.

Fixing the Problem
The easiest way is to get on another computer and hope that it works. Of course, many of us can't get to a second computer.

So what do we do now?

Solution 1 (If you have programs that depend on your current system language encoding, choose this.)
Spoiler:

Solution 2 (If all of your programs are in English anyway, choose this.)
Spoiler:

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
DeltaSalamence
I think xYggdrasill is referring to changing the system locale in windows.
this apparently changes the computer so that it can use unicode (or non-unicode, depending on the default system locale). This does help with fixing advance text and other tools, as i've noticed, but it might also screw around with the non-unicode programs after the default system locale is changed to a locale that uses unicode
so if you're not worried about your non-unicode programs getting screwed, then i guess this is a good method to use.

Back