• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The ends justify the means"?

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Well, when I was in my APUS class, my teacher brought up this discussion.

Do you think that the ends justify the means, or are the means just as important as the ends?

Discuss. =3

Linoone

MCFRY! you are terminated! o!o
    Years
  • I think the means are as important as the ends, if you do multiple bad actions to achieve a good one, then the means matter, except if that good action makes up for the bad ones, or fixes the problems the bad action created, IMO

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • They're tantamount. No one, for example, likes anyone that overthrows a ruler with a military force, even if they do establish a better dynasty. Equally, some people don't like Bush for trying to make Iraq into a model country for the Middle East. That's what some Greek rulers did, though, and that's what Vladimir Lenin tried to do.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • It all sort of, depends. If the means are crazy to reach a mild end, then no, the end doesn't justify the means.

It's all purely situational...there can't really be a yes or no answer.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • It is, as Dakota said, situational... but when it comes to something like world domination, and you kill people to get your way, not at all.

Years
  • World domination! I want world domination!!!

...Personally, I don't know if the ends justify the means. What this saying means to me is, it doesn't matter what you do on the way, by the end of the path, it's fine. I don't think things are justified just because it's easier to end them that way. In a lot of movies the bad guy is gruesomely killed, but it's justified by that they have to stop the bad guy.

Back