• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

20 children, 6 Adults dead in Connecticut elementary school shooting

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
There's a FB group of 600,000+ that are going to stop WB from getting anywhere near the memorials and such. I wouldn't be suprised if someone got shot anyway, though. In this day and age, once everyone gets angry peaceful protest tends to slide into violence.

There are also several petitions on the White House's website created as of the incident to get the government to re-classify them as a hate group instead of a religious organization.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...y-westboro-baptist-church-hate-group/tNVz4V7Q

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

Cause clearly they are NOT a religious organization. I have never seen any religious organization act the way they do, it's far from it.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I was just about to post this link to People magazine's website that had picture of the victims.
It seems just as detailed but I thought I post it anyway cause it gives you a good idea of what these people looked like.
http://www.people.com/people/static...choolshooting/index.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

UB2XQ.jpg

This is what more people should realize, I think.

While it's been confirmed that Morgan Freeman didn't say that, and that some guy named Mark on Facebook did, it's still very relevant to the situation.

Last edited:

Crux

Evermore
Years
I'm at a loss for words.
What can you say? What could anyone say to fully convey their sorrow,and pity for the families,for the school,for the friends and the children themselves,for the man who was so far gone to be capable of doing this?
There is nothing.
There's not a single word in any human language that could ever mean so much.

I find it disturbing that so many have blamed this on the lack of gun control laws.
"When cryptography is outlawed- bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl." (Only outlaws will have privacy)

We live in a broken world, and sadly, this kind of thing happens, and will until we learn how to fix it.
But you see, the answer is in heart. We have to remember what hearts are for - and that we all have one, before we could ever stop this from happening again.

Pinta77

This is just so sad. I can't believe anyone has the capacity to do something like this... but this sick man gets to face God now.

I like Morgan Freeman/Mark's quote. I agree.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Just wanted to point out that medication doesn't always work. I can't count the number of different medicines I have been on- but then again, I don't want to blow anyone's brains out, so I guess there's a difference.

There are no medications for Aspergers... there are no medications for autism. There are treatment plans, but there is a difference between treatment and 'miracle drug'. No one case or person is the same.

Here is your shooter. Who evidently was an Autistic/had Asperger's. And raised by a mother who evidently had issues of her own.

... Aspergers is on the spectrum. Please, no slash, just put Asperger's.

If this is gonna turn into a 'let's pot shot Aspies' party I won't be a happy camper.

This is the weapon he used. A Semi-Automatic that fires a round with every pull of the trigger, meaning you can fire hundreds upon hundreds of rounds per minute, as fast as you can pull the trigger.The AR-15 uses high-powered fragmentation ammunition that literally explodes on impact. So you can imagine what these did to 6 and 7 year olds.

*large pic*

Still think that should be legal?
\

One, just no. A fully auto AR has a rate of fire of 800 rounds a minute... a semi auto? Not so much. Sustained rate of fire, is LIMITED, maybe 40-50 depending on the shooter. That's not including reload time.

Two... I really want to know what type of ammo you're talking about, because I'm pretty sure that's not it. ARs are civ models, and usually carry ammo like .223/5.56, which actually can be less deadly than those used in a 'standard' handgun. Most likely those were recreational rounds. I'm pretty sure you were thinking of hollow or soft points...

Actually I just looked it up, it was .223. So no hollows or softies.

Three that's not a standard AR-15... It's an AR15 Sporter SP1 Carbine.

This is an AR15... A Bushmaster standard AR-15

The AR15 is a civ version of the M16 and the M4.

bushmaster_ar15_carbine.jpg

A 'bare bones' model.

I highly doubt that he had special accesories, since they cost so much more and are so damn hard to get.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Oddly enough, some people are saying that TDKR has a connection with this too.

Has something to do with promotional maps that were given out.

Edit - Actually, the 5.56s and .223s do fragment. It's what they are designed for, really. However, in soft targets they usually pass straight through. They are different from regular fragmenting ammo because of how they fragment though.

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Why do normal citizens need a gun even close to that size? I feel like people who NEED to have something like that act like they ruined Uma Thermans wedding and are waiting for her to show up to their house seeking revenge. Wouldn't a small handgun with 6 shots max suffice against normal home invaders? :s

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
This is comedy, but the sad fact is that most pro-gun people actually follow this kind of logic.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I'm asking this again, don't you have to have some logic and sanity to realise that you did something so inhuman and you would be punished so to avoid that you kill yourself?

That's why I'm actually believing that the Tuscon and Theatre shooters were completely mad. This guy and others who killed themselves are pure evil, demons.

Years
There is no medications for Aspergers... there are no medications for autism. There are treatment plans, but there is a difference between treatment and 'miracle drug'. No one case or person is the same.

... Aspergers is on the spectrum. Please, no slash, just put Asperger's.

If this is gonna turn into a 'let's pot shot Aspies' party I won't be a happy camper.

One, just no. A fully auto AR has a rate of fire of 800 rounds a minute... a semi auto? Not so much. Sustained rate of fire, is LIMITED, maybe 40-50 depending on the shooter. That's not including reload time.

Two... I really want to know what type of ammo you're talking about, because I'm pretty sure that's not it. ARs are civ models, and usually carry ammo like .223/5.56, which actually can be less deadly than those used in a 'standard' handgun. Most likely those were recreational rounds. I'm pretty sure you were thinking of hollow or soft points...

Actually I just looked it up, it was .223. So no hollows or softies.

Three that's not a standard AR-15... It's an AR15 Sporter SP1 Carbine.

This is an AR15... A Bushmaster standard AR-15

The AR15 is a civ version of the M16 and the M4.

bushmaster_ar15_carbine.jpg

A 'bare bones' model.

I highly doubt that he had special accesories, since they cost so much more and are so damn hard to get.

Ok, First things first:

A. It was not clear (based on some research) whether he was full blown Autistic or had Asperger's. Both were included. I know full well what I'm talking about. Don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about here.

B.
10182805.jpg

This is the one that was used. The reports and information I saw from multiple news stations suggested that the Bushmaster involved was designed for a higher rate of fire and in this case, used a different type of ammunition designed for maximum damage. You can hash out the irrelevant details if you want. That type of weapon has no business being legal.

C. His mother was the gun owner, and was a gun enthusiast who owned multiple hand guns and rifles. Being the family of a General Electric Executive, his mother had plenty of money at her disposal. She was also a Doomsday prepper, who hoarded foodstuffs and weapons for the "impending doomsday". Sounds to me like she had a few psychological issues of her own.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Okay, not sure if this is true, but I've heard some rumors (that I would like to believe true) of a teacher saving as many as 20 kindergartners by hiding them in various different places around her room, i.e. in a cabinet/closet and various other places. When Lanza came in, she told him the kids were in another room. He shot her and moved on, saving the kids. Again, just a rumor, but still. Her name was Victoria Soto, and she was only 27.
Also, while there may not be a drug that directly suppresses Aspergers, there are drugs that can dim the side effects of depression and irritability and other things associated with Aspergers. The same is true for a lot of other mental illnesses.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
This is the one that was used. The reports and information I saw from multiple news stations suggested that the Bushmaster involved was designed for a higher rate of fire and in this case, used a different type of ammunition designed for maximum damage. You can hash out the irrelevant details if you want. That type of weapon has no business being legal.

We don't know what kind of ammo the gun used, however it wasn't special. It either used the stock .223 ammo or its bigger brother, the 5.56. It's a .223 gun, but some .223 barrels are built to handly both types.

Anyway, the only modification was the high capacity clips, but thats a clip design not a change to the gun itself.

But yeah, I agree that it's a weapon that civilians have no use for.

Anyway, some people think we have hard gun control laws. Compared to other first world, and even a couple of second world, countries, we actually have the weakest gun control laws. Ironiclly, compared to the same countries, we also have the highest amount of gun crime.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Okay, not sure if this is true, but I've heard some rumors (that I would like to believe true) of a teacher saving as many as 20 kindergartners by hiding them in various different places around her room, i.e. in a cabinet/closet and various other places. When Lanza came in, she told him the kids were in another room. He shot her and moved on, saving the kids. Again, just a rumor, but still. Her name was Victoria Soto, and she was only 27.
Also, while there may not be a drug that directly suppresses Aspergers, there are drugs that can dim the side effects of depression and irritability and other things associated with Aspergers. The same is true for a lot of other mental illnesses.
I heard two variations. One, like what you said, where the kids were out of sight. The other, where all kids fit in the washroom (reasonable, as another teacher did the same thing), but she did not (while the other teacher in the other case did) and stood by the door. When the gunman came by she said the kids were in the gym.

The only silver lining, if possible, from this whole situation were the stories of the teachers. Had the children cover their eyes as they walked out of the school. Told them the noise they were hearing was a jack hammer. Protected them. Repeatedly told them that they were loved.

Tried to protect them physically and emotionally.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
I heard two variations. One, like what you said, where the kids were out of sight. The other, where all kids fit in the washroom (reasonable, as another teacher did the same thing), but she did not (while the other teacher in the other case did) and stood by the door. When the gunman came by she said the kids were in the gym.

The only silver lining, if possible, from this whole situation were the stories of the teachers. Had the children cover their eyes as they walked out of the school. Told them the noise they were hearing was a jack hammer. Protected them. Repeatedly told them that they were loved.

I heard this too. That's just sick, the fact that it got this bad. Now all these kids that survived are going to be burdened with this forever.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

Even though there are different variations of the Victoria Soto story, they're both pretty much the same gist. And I pray that there will never be an event like this in my time teaching, but if ever it does happens, I only hope I can be half the teacher, or in this case the protector, this woman was.

Years
I'm still really shocked about this and feel absolutely horrible for those families that will be spending the holidays without their kids/siblings. That and those poor children and faculty that were there to witness this happen... it's just terrible. Been trying to avoid reading about this buut it's pretty much unavoidable right now.

As horrible as some people are, hearing Victoria Soto's story makes me remember that there are those out there that are as good as some are bad. She was very brave for doing what she did!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I am trying to avoid reading or watching any more news about this. I'm already heartbroken enough from it. Why would such a horrible creature do such a thing to kids? It wasn't even human!

Regardless, there needs to be severe restrictions on semi-automatic rifles and SMGs for public use. Pistols are okay for protection, but some people have no business owning guns like that. They should be reserved for army use or in shooting ranges (which should have some government regulation). After the incidents earlier this year... well, this one is easily the worst. :(

Yeah... I'm about to cry. Again. I don't want to think about it... more thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families!

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
The gunman got the guns from his parents, right? I was just wondering how stricter gun laws would get prevent people like him from just taking them from others.

I do really wonder why civilians need semi-automatics, though. What do you actually do with them besides target practice? The things were built to kill.

Back