• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Ahh, thanks, Ill try with Hex :)
I already found this .OCX thing online, but that didnt work for me :(
Thanks again :)

I'll save you the trouble. The hex offsets for the intro are as followed:

0x1C5C78 - Hello there, and Oak introducing himself
0x1C5D06 - This world...
0x1C5D12 - is inhabited by Pokemon
0x1C5D4B - Pokemon as pets, battling, or studying
0x1C5DBD - Tell me about yourself
0x1C59D5 - Boy or Girl?
0x1C5DEA - What's your name?
0x1C5E13 - Confirming your name
0x1C5E2E - My grandson, what's his name?
0x1C5EB5 - Was is [rival]?
0x1C5EC5 - I remember!
0x1C5EF4 - Final words, a legend begins.

Simply pulling these offsets in XSE won't work. I recommend making a signpost saying "msgbox OFFSET_YOU_WANT_TO_EDIT 0x6", and compiling it. Opening it up again will then display the offset's words, all ready for editing. However, if you need to make a script that's larger than the original, you'll have to repoint.

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
Thanks man :D
But how can I find strings on my own? Because there are many other things I want to change, too..

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
Again, I don't need a link for diegoisawesome's tutorial, I read it 10 times already and used it a lot for my hack, I have a first town and the beginning of a storyline. I KNOW how to script.
What I want is change the whole Intro of the game (FireRed btw), the Items names, and so on, every little thing that's already in the game and written in CAPITAL letters. I want everything to be written normally, like in the DS games.
That's why I loved A-Text, but it's no longer working, I get that blabla.OCX error, and, no matter what I do, I can't fix it.

@redriders180
Thanks for your help, but I'm hacking a german version, so the offsets don't match here :P

Could the A-Text problem be caused by my Windows 7 64-bit? Because everything I do to fix it involves files with '32' in it?

EDIT: Foget about it, I found the solution :P I wonder why I did not try this earlier: Compatibility Mode. Now A-Text runs smoothly ^^ Now I could use a .ini for a german FireRed...

Whatever, new question:
I want to make it possible to run in houses, following this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=207026
BUT I don't know how to do this, can anybody pls help me?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2013
when I was play testing my hack (fire red) while walking along route 15 my game just freezes. I didn't really do anything major that I haven't done to any other route (such as ad any scripts or change trainers). Why would this happen? Is there a way to fix it?

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
EDIT: Foget about it, I found the solution :P I wonder why I did not try this earlier: Compatibility Mode. Now A-Text runs smoothly ^^ Now I could use a .ini for a german FireRed...

Whatever, new question:
I want to make it possible to run in houses, following this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=207026
BUT I don't know how to do this, can anybody pls help me?
The German FireRed INI most likely doesn't exist. You would have to have some one make it for you. Or just hack an English version and translaate it to German.

As for the running inside buildings, I had seen that thread long ago but discovered a MUCH easier way of doing it. It won't be the same since you have the German FireRed though but if you use an English version you would go to the offset 0xBD494 in a HEX Editor and change the value from 08 to 00.

when I was play testing my hack (fire red) while walking along route 15 my game just freezes. I didn't really do anything major that I haven't done to any other route (such as ad any scripts or change trainers). Why would this happen? Is there a way to fix it?
Well that doesn't help us much. Did you change any tile behavior bytes? Maybe a image of A-Map in the Events tab would help us figure out your problem.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Is there any way to make the doors on Emerald behave the same way the doors on Firered do? I mean the number of tiles that the animation uses. If not, It's no big deal and I can just edit the door animations to look like that. And I still haven't been able to figure out how to use the cmda6 command for the snowy grass that I posted 2 pages ago. If someone that knows how to use these things could PM me, I'd appreciate it.

redriders180

Years
Multiquote has officially become my new best friend. I still need to know where the amount of money the player has is stored in memory, so if anyone can tell me, that'd be awesome

Thanks man :D
But how can I find strings on my own? Because there are many other things I want to change, too..
There's a mini-tutorial on strings about three pages back on this thread. Basically, each letter in the game is a different byte. Just make a long string of bytes to write things, and you can also search for these strings in the ROM to edit them in a hex editor.

Is there any way to make the doors on Emerald behave the same way the doors on Firered do? I mean the number of tiles that the animation uses. If not, It's no big deal and I can just edit the door animations to look like that. And I still haven't been able to figure out how to use the cmda6 command for the snowy grass that I posted 2 pages ago. If someone that knows how to use these things could PM me, I'd appreciate it.

I thought I'd already cleared this up. I'm almost 100% sure the cmda06 command has nothing to do with the snowy tiles, and instead has something to do with Soot Sack. This is based on a video I saw stating that cmda06 is a way to make tiles do certain ASM code. I do not know in what way this work, but it is not relevant. The snowy/ash grass instead works like a setmaptile command on each grass tile. When you step on it, it changes the snowy grass to the not-snowy grass, and adds a little puff on ash for realism. It won't work right if its got something on the layer above it. This is supported by the original game, where none of the ash grass tiles are behind any trees. The only solution you can do is either turn the ash grass into a tile animation like the tall grass, or not put snowy grass behind a tree. Both of these are easily do-able, as I've seen a post somewhere on the research and development on making different grass animations.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
I thought I'd already cleared this up. I'm almost 100% sure the cmda06 command has nothing to do with the snowy tiles, and instead has something to do with Soot Sack. This is based on a video I saw stating that cmda06 is a way to make tiles do certain ASM code. I do not know in what way this work, but it is not relevant. The snowy/ash grass instead works like a setmaptile command on each grass tile. When you step on it, it changes the snowy grass to the not-snowy grass, and adds a little puff on ash for realism. It won't work right if its got something on the layer above it. This is supported by the original game, where none of the ash grass tiles are behind any trees. The only solution you can do is either turn the ash grass into a tile animation like the tall grass, or not put snowy grass behind a tree. Both of these are easily do-able, as I've seen a post somewhere on the research and development on making different grass animations.

Well I looked at the tutorial for cmda6, and there was nothing mentioned about the soot sack specifically. My guess is this particular tile with the particular tile behavior reacts to the cmda6 script. I tested these tiles on a map without this script and there was no animation and no finding of wild pokemon. And it also does work when theres something on the top layer as well. The problem I was having with it was that I don't know how to link specific tiles together for the script to change them how I need them to. The snow covered grass always changed to the grass with the snow shaken off. Every other block in the tileset that i give this behavior byte to always switches to a certain other block in the tileset, which I put one half of the tree on. So basically, half of the tree with grass behind it works. What I need to know is if theres a way to manually link the blocks together so that I could have a certain block always change to a certain other block, like how the normal snow-covered grass always changes to the grass with the snow shaken off, when I have this script active.

It'd be similar to this, I'm guessing, except say the red blocks were normal snow grass, blue was the left side of the tree, and white is the right side of the tree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0aQHash9rE

Sorry if I'm just missing something, but I don't think you quite understood what I was asking with that, and I might not have explained it as well as I could have.

redriders180

Years
Well I looked at the tutorial for cmda6, and there was nothing mentioned about the soot sack specifically. My guess is this particular tile with the particular tile behavior reacts to the cmda6 script. I tested these tiles on a map without this script and there was no animation and no finding of wild pokemon. And it also does work when theres something on the top layer as well. The problem I was having with it was that I don't know how to link specific tiles together for the script to change them how I need them to. The snow covered grass always changed to the grass with the snow shaken off. Every other block in the tileset that i give this behavior byte to always switches to a certain other block in the tileset, which I put one half of the tree on. So basically, half of the tree with grass behind it works. What I need to know is if theres a way to manually link the blocks together so that I could have a certain block always change to a certain other block, like how the normal snow-covered grass always changes to the grass with the snow shaken off, when I have this script active.

It'd be similar to this, I'm guessing, except say the red blocks were normal snow grass, blue was the left side of the tree, and white is the right side of the tree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0aQHash9rE

Sorry if I'm just missing something, but I don't think you quite understood what I was asking with that, and I might not have explained it as well as I could have.

Of course it's possible I was wrong. The only reason I assumed cmda06 wasn't necessary was because the tutorial for unlocking it in Firered made no mention of it. My assumption of the background bytes not working was because of the same tutorial, which only has a spot for inputting the ashy grass, the grass with ashy background, and the normal grass, and nothing else, but that may be because of the script.

I assume (not like my assumptions seem to ever hold true) that there's a sort of table in the rom, which cmda06 calls. assuming that you could find this, you could write another ASM script which would handle the background tree tiles, and put it in the table in question. The simplest way, in my opinion, would be to add setmaptile scripts to each place underneath the tree, and play the animation involved with the puff of ash. All of these things I believe you can access in a script. setanimation and doanimation can play the puff of dust. (0x7 is the ashgrass dust cloud, but the list I have also says it does a setmaptile part, so 0xA should also work [0xA is the dust cloud when the player jumps off a ledge])

And you explained it perfectly clear, i was just being stupid, so no hard feelings?

redriders180

Years
Did you need to change the starting amount? I know there is a program. If not I might be able to find the offset here somewhere...

It's not that I need to change the starting amount, I just need it for a "secret word" type script. I want to make the word in question depend on some random factors, like the amount of money the player has. Although I really hope it isnt one of those protected offsets...

droomph

weeb
Years
How do I edit ruby's intro sprites without pokepic?
What is PokéPic? Is it a tool?

You're supposed to do it on unLZ, which can be easy if you do it right. However, if you're REALLY willing, search up "LZ77" and decompress the pictures by hand, I guess.

If you're talking about Birch's lecture and stuff, then it uses a different compression method (and I can't remember which), and you're going to have to look that up.
----------------------------
ARRIGHT MY QUESTION

Yeah, so I was wondering, how far can a bl instruction reach? I need to go from 0x6840 to 0xEC0000 or so. Will it be able to reach that far?

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2014
Hi I'm new to hacking and I have two questions if anyone could possibly answer them for me. One, can anyone tell me how to script in a double battle where you and a random character fight two wild pokemon/trainers? And the second, it'd be nice to know the command/how to script in so that the system registers a fainted pokemon/egg in your party. For XSE, not PokeScript. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Hi I'm new to hacking and I have two questions if anyone could possibly answer them for me. One, can anyone tell me how to script in a double battle where you and a random character fight two wild pokemon/trainers? And the second, it'd be nice to know the command/how to script in so that the system registers a fainted pokemon/egg in your party. For XSE, not PokeScript. Thanks in advance.

In emerald I believe there is a part where you and Steven battle together (in the museum I think?). I would open up that script in XSE and have a look. And I don't understand your next question...if you mean to not automatically get sent to the Pokemon center when all your Pokemon faint, I have no idea. I think in pokemon prism there was something like that, but I'm not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back