• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trading from ROM hacks to gunnuine games

thorpsy100

Tristan
Years
  • Hi all,

I just created an account to hopefully get some support from you guys, you may be able to help me out. So I just bought Pokemon Arcoiris, Naranja and Crystal Shards on GBA flash carts because I just tend to prefer playing on a GBA or DS Lite and also because I was hoping i'd be able to trade! So i've had some luck, I was able to trade from Naranja to a genuine Ruby with no issues although Pokemon Crystal Shards (my favourite) isn't letting me trade. It displays a "partner is not yet ready to trade" message on whatever Crystal Shards is trading with and on Crystal Shards it just simply freezes on the "awaiting link up" pop up. I can't press B to cancel or anything.

Can anyone help me out here? Has anyone else traded from Crystal Shards in the past, perhaps i'm simply not far enough into the game yet? I've yet to try trading to Fire Red or Leaf Green but since Naranja is a Fire Red hack i'd assume it also wouldn't work. Any help is much appreciated.
    - Thanks

Zoroyoyo41

Novice Expert
    Years
  • dude... where'd you even get these games xD
    I'd assume it's because it's a hacked game that you can't trade... although it worked with the first one, this second one might be "too hacked" if you know what I mean? :P

First of all, way to support thieves.

Second of all, many older Firered hacks do not have the standard Firered trade restrictions removed. You may never be able to trade directly to a Hoenn game with these hacks, depending on if the hacker put some analogue to the One Island Ruby and Sapphire sidequest in or activated the right flags to enable trading at some point.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    You bought them on flash carts? The sentence contradicts itself. Did you buy them on repro cartridges like the fake copies of RSEFrLg you can find plastered all over eBay (I don't mind them being repros, given the originals were always going to naturally long-tail themselves out of availability once Nintendo stopped distributing them, but they could at least put the right amount of fucking RAM in rather than editing the ROM to clumsily disguise the error) or did you put the ROMs on a flashcart?

Secondly, trading between hacks is basically a big fat undocumented sticker, because trading is essentially a nonentity in the typical usecase for a hack. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald hacks can probably trade with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, and with FireRed/LeafGreen if the latter has completed the One Island sidequest. FireRed/LeafGreen hacks can probably trade with FireRed/LeafGreen, but not with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald unless the flag that controls trading with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is set, which may well never happen.

I'm slightly confused as to why you'd want to trade, though - you're basically guaranteed to get varying degrees of gibberish. The best-case scenario is nonsensical Pokémon/move/ability combinations because the internal IDs weren't maintained, and the worst-case scenario is glitch Pokémon/moves/abilities that crash the game, because the tables were expanded in the hack end and now have entries that don't correspond with anything in the original.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    I'm slightly confused as to why you'd want to trade, though - you're basically guaranteed to get varying degrees of gibberish. The best-case scenario is nonsensical Pokémon/move/ability combinations because the internal IDs weren't maintained, and the worst-case scenario is glitch Pokémon/moves/abilities that crash the game, because the tables were expanded in the hack end and now have entries that don't correspond with anything in the original.

I'm going to disagree with this last part by saying - if the Pokemon Data is untouched (like most "harder" hacks or hacks that contain no new moves/Fakemon) then the Pokemon SHOULD be unaffected and treated like normal (on the most part). HOWEVER this is still questionable because they are not made to be tradeable but are made to be a standalone story. Hacks with Fakemon that have replaced other Pokemon but no new moves will turn back into the Pokemon they replaced with the moveset they had in the hack (like a Victreebel with Earthquake when I accidentally loaded the wrong save once). Any hack that has Fakemon in empty slots WILL mess up however and aren't worth it. Same for Pokemon with new moves (as in moves added to the hack).

Overall: It's not worth it at all to trade.

Back