• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen THE best Grass Type in Hoenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Well I've just re-started my Emerald version and I came across a dilemma while I was trying to build my team. At first, I wanted a Shiftry as my grass type. But I found out a major setback, he doesn't learn many attacks. Most have to be taught by TM's you find later on in the game. SO then I looked at the other grass types, Breloom is a choice but then there is Cacturne and Tropius.

SO my question to you all is, in your opinion as Pokemon fans what do you think would be the best grass type in Hoenn and why

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • In my experience, Tropius is very good. It's Grass/Flying combo allows it to have a decent defense against Electric moves. In fact, if it weren't for Tropius, I wouldn't have won Emerald. They can learn very good movesets, and not that it matters, but they look awesome! Screw grocery stores, just grab a Tropius-Fruit whenever you feel like it! ^_^ Seriously though, Tropius is an awesome Pokemon who can get you out of sticky situations. It's one of the best non-evolving Pokemon!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ludicolo since it's killing two birds with one stone. Now, my question to you is what is this thread for? Are you needing help with your team, cause if so, then you should have posted this in the in-game team help section. If you're asking an opinion on the grass types of the region, this should be in Pokemon General. So, take your pick.

Shadow Dawn

A New Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    I would recommend a Ludicolo. Ludicolo's dual-type gives it a defense against both fire and grass. The other advantage is that you don't have to train a water and a grass type, as you have them both in one. I really hope you have a Torchic (like I did) as it complements Ludicolo very well.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • You really can't go wrong with Tropius. (it learns a move every x1 and x7, for example, whirlwind at 27, then magical leaf at 31, body slam at 37, etc) And for this matter, Ludicolo fits the bill too, as mentioned.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • I'd also say Ludicolo as it can take care of its fire weakness plus it can learn Ice Beam for its Flying type weakness. Also correct me if I'm wrong but you can get Lotad pretty early as well. (Like near the second town I'm sure)

Thunderhead

Ride the Lightning
    Years
  • Cacturne - This thing is awesome with an attack and sp.atk base to 115! However, its move pool sucks. It has Faint Attack, Needle Arm, and Return. It doesn't have a lot of attacks to stand behind its large base stats.
    Ludicolo - Surf, Giga Drain, Ice Beam, and Theif. This thing has nice attacks to work with, and isn't that bad of a player. Bad thing about it though, is that its stats in attacking are average at the least.
    Shiftry - This thing has a good movepool, its just you got to train it up more, and wait a while longer. Faint Attack, Extrasensory, Shadow Ball, and Giga Drain. It also has dig and rock tomb which could work too. The things stats in attacking are alright too. Biggest problem is that you have to wait a long time before getting it the moves it needs.
    Breloom - This thing is more of a fighting type, than a grass type in 3rd gen due to its large base attack. Mach Punch, Sky Upper Cut, and Sludge Bomb are there. Then there is Giga Drain and there is access to Stun Spore which is awesome to have against legendarys and stuff.
    Roselia - Stun Spore, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, and Shadow Ball is the best move pool I can think of. This thing has a nice sp.atk, but limited move pool. Half of which is on the physical attacking side.
    Cradily - This thing for defensive annoynaces. Shouldn't be used on a team run.
    Tropious - It has weird stats, and it is too late game to join your team. People complain about how shiftrys moves are too late game, but this thing has "late game" written all over it! This thing is an ok flyer at best. Fly, Giga Drain, Body Slam, and Steel Wing make a good set. This thing would be better if it had at least an 80 base stat in attacking for both sides, but it doesn't

Breloom and Ludicolo win!

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    If only Roserade was in Hoenn, but like others have said I would go with Ludicolo ;).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well, since you've neglected to answer, and this is looking more like a team help thread, and you've got plenty of answers now. Next time you need help with a team, please use the in-game team help section and don't post a thread with a misleading title.

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back