• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team 'We're not gonna take weather' (peaked #46)

Years
  • This team was designed to ladder as best as possible, without using weather, as I simply despise Ninetails and Politoed. In my opinion, anyone who uses Politoed or Ninetails purely for their ability knows next to nothing about constructing a team that isn't dependant on one Pokemon to succeed. Weatherless teams are by far and away, the best sort of team I have used, since if a weather starter goes down, it is easy pickings for the other five members. /rant over.

Anyhoo, I was laddering for a while in OU before it got boring because of the same flipping Politoed and Ninetails that I kept seeing. Without meaning to brag, I'm pretty certain I could have taken this team to single figures, if anyone wants to try, be my guest. At the moment, I'm taking a break from competitive battling and are going to concentrate on school work and White 2 when I get it. Enough about what I want to do though, you came to see a team. So... here it is.

Team Sectorem

649.gif
    646.gif
    485.gif
    286.gif
    130.gif
    645-therian.gif

649.gif

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
    Naive Nature
    - U-turn
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Bug Buzz

Why Genesect?
    Genesect serves as this teams revenge killer and is usually the lead off for the team, unless I can predict either a Fire-type or Ferrothorn in which case Heatran is the guy to go to. Genesects role on the team is to check a lot of Pokemon with it's exceptional stats and coverage. With Download and Stealth Rock, it s even able to do a bit of sweeping.

Why Choice Scarf?
    It is a revenge killer so it has to be faster. Enough said really.

Why Download?
    I'm not entirely sure it has another ability but if it does, I probably won't use it, since Genesect can make good use of Download.

Why those EV's?
    Max Speed and Special Attack since they are the main moves. The last four are dumped into Attack as they really have no other place to go (HP lol).

Why Naive?
    I'm using a mixed moveset and want max Speed, so Naive is the way to go.

Why those moves?
    U-Turn - is a boss and retains momentum.
    Thunderbolt - BoltBeam coverage is good. T-bolt gets Gyarados, Starmie and Tornadus-T.
    Ice Beam - hits the dangerous Salamence, Dragonite, Landorus(T) and Thunderus-T.
    Bug Buzz - nice little STAB move that hits Grass-types harder than Ice Beam. There is debate for Flamethrower, but I just like Bug Buzz here for a main STAB attack.

646.gif

Kyurem @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 236 Spd / 216 SAtk / 52 HP / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Substitute
    - Roost
    - Ice Beam

Why Kyurem?
    Kyurem is quite simply, a boss. It has great coverage in two-moves alone, so can afford to use some supporting options. This Kyurem aims to set up a sub and fire off deadly Ice Beams. Kyurem has fantastic natural bulk, so you will be surprised how often it sets up subs whilst still taking a few hits for the team. With Pressure, this thing becomes annoying hard to take down, especially if you rely on 8 PP Close Combats and Stone Edges(i.e Terrakion)

Why Leftovers?
    I'm using Substitute and I don't like Life Orb with Substitute. Leftovers allow Kyurem to sub up five times instead of four.

Why Pressure?
    It's Kyurems only ability, but honestly, you don't need another one. When you're behind a sub, you'll burn PP faster than you think.

Why those EV's?
    The HP EV's mean you form 101 HP subs, which is two Seismic Tosses to break (you'll beat Chanset in a stall wall). The Speed EV's ensure you outrun Jolly Dragonite and Mamoswine, as well as Adamant Lucario and Landorus-T, meaning you can get a surprise KO off. The rest are dumped into Special Attack for oomph, with 4 being added to Special Defence to stop Genesect getting the Special Attack raise.

Why Modest?
    With the dedicated EV's, Modest brings a tad more power to the Table.

Why those moves?
    Earth Power - fantastic coverage move with Ice Beam, hitting Steels for super effective damage. You can PP stall Bronzong and have Ice Beam for Skarmory. A lot of people don't know Kyurem gets Earth Power, so they let Heatran stay in (you lol here).
    Substitute - Substitute is fantastic as it blocks status as well as weak attacks like Scald, when they are trying to get a burn (no Tentacruel). Kyurem naturally forces a lot of switches on certain Pokemon, so it's pretty easy to set it up.
    Roost - Sometimes, Leftovers doesn't cut it. Roost is there to help out. It also means you can beat stall one on one.
    Ice Beam - Here, Dragon Pulse works well, but I prefer the coverage Ice Beam gives, such as on Tornadus and Gliscor. Ice Beam is a tad stronger and has freeze hax, so it got the nod.

485.gif

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Stealth Rock
    - Protect

Why Heatran?
    Heatran serves as the teams hazards man. It's also serves as the teams primary answer to Fire Pokemon/Sunny day teams and deals with Ferrothorn well. Heatran is godly, you should be using him.

Why Air Balloon?
    It's a free immunity to Heatran's most dangerous weakness, plus it avoids Spikes and means that you can now somewhat counter Gliscor if it rolls in.

Why Flash Fire?
    Flame Body sucks. Don't use it, unless you're a noob in which case, stop playing Pokemon.

Why those EV's?
    Max Special Attack and Speed because this Heatran isn't supposed to be bulky. The rest are shoved into Special Defence, again because of Genesect.

Why Timid?
    I like getting the jump on opposing Heatran and Heatran is poweful enough already.

Why those moves?
    Fire Blast - the amount of times I've missed with this makes me want to choose Flamethrower occasionally. However, Fire Blast is a nuke and gets crucial KO's and Thrower does not.
    Earth Power - allows Heatran to counter Fire-types effortlessly, except Moltres (who you probably won't see) and Volcarona (who shouldn't be able to hit you hard).
    Stealth Rock - every good team should have Stealth Rock.
    Protect - excellent move on Heatran, allows you to scout on potential Air Balloon pops.

286.gif

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 60 Spd / 236 HP / 212 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Seed Bomb
    - Bulk Up
    - Spore

Why Breloom?
    I have always loved using Breloom and always hate it being used on me for good reason, it has access to the best move in the game. Breloom's job is to take out one Pokemon and to stat up for a potential sweep, as well as serving as a main check to Water Pokemon and being the teams main status absorber when the orb has activated.

Why Toxic Orb?
    Healing that is better than Leftovers? Yes please. Toxic Orb is probably one of the best items to use on Breloom.

Why Poison Heal?
    Effect Spore is useless and Technician, while good, should be used with Mach Punch and Life Orb.

Why those EV's?
    The HP EV's ensure Poison Heal gets the most amount of HP it can. The Speed EV's mean I outspeed minimum speed Heatran and Tyranitar. The rest are thrown into Special Defence so I can take Hydro Pumps better. Breloom is quite useful in deal with rain teams come to think of it.

Why Careful?
    Just so I can take Special Attacks a bit better than before.

Why those moves?
    Drain Punch - the buff it got from Gen 4 means that Breloom can be even more annoying now!
    Seed Bomb - it couldn't really take on Water-types if it couldn't hit them hard now could it?
    Bulk Up - partly why I'm invested in Special Defence, Bulk Up deals with the physical spectrum, meaning I hit harder and take hits easier.
    Spore - BEST MOVE IN THE GAME. PERIOD.

130.gif

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Dragon Tail
    - Thunder Wave
    - Waterfall
    - Taunt

Why Gyarados?
    Gyarados has always been a favourite of mine and I knew that I wanted to use it alongside Breloom in this team. Gyarados' role is to phaze, stop set up and generally annoy the opponent before the rest of the team picks them off.

Why Leftovers?
    I'm using a bulky Gyarados set so Leftoves as the perfect option to recover health, since RestTalk sucks.

Why Intimidate?
    Moxie is useless on defensive Gyarados. Intimidate also helps to soak up hits.

Why those EV's?
    Max HP and Defence to take hits as well as possible. The HP EV's cap at 393 HP, meaning I can switch into Stealth Rock five times. Rest are thrown into speed because I don't really have a need for them in attack. Maybe I'll outrun something obscure.

Why Impish?
    Defensive Gyarados, defensive nature, you get the idea.

Why those moves?
    Dragon Tail - this is debatable with Roar, but I don't like Gyarados being Taunted to Waterfall only (most opponents assume a Dragon Dance set).
    Thunder Wave - starts the harassment. Thunder Wave lets Breloom set up a bit quicker and allows Landorus to hit first, which is important.
    Waterfall - obligatory STAB move to prevent being set up bait, but frankly, Waterfall is good anyway.
    Taunt - Ferrothorn commonly switches in, so it has a nice surprise as it expects a switch to Heatran/Breloom.

645-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Why Landorus-T?

Landorus-T is a brute and I'm using a set that punishes you if you let it switch in safely. Landorus-T is the team's heavy hitter and if Gyarados has spread a bit of paralysis out, you're in for a world of pain.

Why Choice Band?
    Landorus-T is here to dish out pain and Choice Band is the perfect item to accomplish this.

Why Intimidate?
    It's the only nature it's got, but it helps to relieve the pressure off of Gyarados when it concerns physical threats (besides, Terrakion is a bugger).

Why those EV's?
    Max Speed and Attack as Landorus-T really has no other uses for an EV spread (unless you want to go mixed? But just use normal Landorus).

Why Jolly?
    Max speed is good. I might change to Adamant, but Jolly is working well so far.

Why those moves?
    Earthquake - Landorus just nukes anything with this move. Always include it.
    Stone Edge - hits what Earthquake doesn't. Fantastic coverage move(coverage only, Stone Edge is pretty bad in general).
    Superpower - nice for getting the hit on Ferrothorn and normal types such as Porygon 2, but it forces you to lose momentum. Only use when you know Ferrothorn is coming in.
    U-Turn - as opposed to Superpower losing momentum, U-turn gains momentum. Fantastic move, always use it.

Changes I'm considering
    I want to try normal Landorus in place of Landorus-T and equip it with a Choice Scarf so that Genesect doesn't have to revenge kill all the time, or switch Genesect to Expert Belt. If Garchomp becomes available, I am going to test it in place of either Landorus-T or Kyurem.

Import text here.
    Spoiler:

Happy battling reader.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Landorus-T is generally better off using Adamant over Jolly if it's using Choice Band. IMO, using Jolly gives it stiffer competition with regular Landorus, who's faster. Landorus-T has Intimidate to compensate for its lesser Speed, so switching to Adamant wouldn't be a bad idea.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2014
    if you're going to use non weather, id immediately consider some type of offense. it doesn't even have to involve deoxys but i think that running weatherless staples like cloyster / dragonite etc would really be appropriate here. you know, id actually recommend something like taunt sr terrakion somewhere (probably over kyurem) as it makes for a really excellent lead and allows you to get stealth rock up early. cloyster is really always a pokemon that a lot of teams simply won't be prepared for so I think that you could at least try to fit that in somewhere, maybe over gyarados or something. sorry if this wasn't much help, pretty cool team good luck with it.

Back