• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
Didn't Pokemon Smash CONFIRM a new type ? Poison was super effective against sylveon and it resisted Ice. That confirms a new type.

Where did you see that?

Also, I really love the idea of a new type. I love that it's being treated as Fairy-related, but what I really hope is that they end up calling it Light :) or something else... Nymph type?

The rumor also states that it's super effective against Fighting, Dark and Dragon. Immunity to Dragon, which is great. NVE against Fire and Psychic, which sounds fair, and weak to Poison and Steel, also very fair.

Now, I just wonder if that's not the final chart, because, if you guys recall, from the very first X&Y trailer, when Fennekin uses a Psychic attack against Kirlia, it could be an understatement that Psychic type will be very effective against "Fairy", to which Kirlia and Gardevoir most likely will end up being reclassified.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Where did you see that?

Also, I really love the idea of a new type. I love that it's being treated as Fairy-related, but what I really hope is that they end up calling it Light :) or something else... Nymph type?

The rumor also states that it's super effective against Fighting, Dark and Dragon. Immunity to Dragon, which is great. NVE against Fire and Psychic, which sounds fair, and weak to Poison and Steel, also very fair.

Now, I just wonder if that's not the final chart, because, if you guys recall, from the very first X&Y trailer, when Fennekin uses a Psychic attack against Kirlia, it could be an understatement that Psychic type will be very effective against "Fairy", to which Kirlia and Gardevoir most likely will end up being reclassified.
It could also not be a new type, but a reworking of the type chart, but its most likely a new type. As I've stated before, Fairy sounds like the Japanese typing for the new type, with Light being the dubbed type's name.

blue

gucci
Years
Didn't Pokemon Smash CONFIRM a new type ? Poison was super effective against sylveon and it resisted Ice. That confirms a new type.

There's some major X and Y news on Smash this week which includes Junichi Masuda making an appearance, whether that's just the news we found out from CoroCoro or something else I don't know. It could be Sylveon's typing since what we found out has already been updated on all the International Websites but we'll see.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
I am a bit curious on what type the new Eeveelution will be. Any guesses as to what type Sylveon is?

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
I am a bit curious on what type the new Eeveelution will be. Any guesses as to what type Sylveon is?

Sylveon is Fairy or Light type. It makes since because sunshine would melt ice and poison which is like corruption would make light impure and harm it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
One thing bugs me about the Fairy idea. It doesn't actually sound like a "type" + it's the name of an egg group.

"Light" would make more sense to me, being an element and all. Faeries are beings. They use elements, but aren't one in themself, so doesn't make much sense. The egg group does, but not a typing.

By that logic, Bug, Ghost, and Dragon shouldn't be types at all. It's still possible for Fairy to be both a type and an egg group like a few other existing types.

Last edited:

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
One thing bugs me about the Fairy idea. It doesn't actually sound like a "type" + it's the name of an egg group.

"Light" would make more sense to me, being an element and all. Faeries are beings. They use elements, but aren't one in themself, so doesn't make much sense. The egg group does, but not a typing.

I mean even if they went with Faerie instead of Fairy, it's still way too similar to the egg group. I guess Light would make sense I suppose, but that's still pretty iffy. Light is still to similar to Electric and Fire for me as to what it relates to in the actual world (Electricity giving us light, as does Fire). It just seems shaky to me. It seems likely that there is a new type, so I guess I'm interested to see what they come up with.

You think it cannot be a new type simply because of an egg group sharing the same name? I can prove why that makes no sense at all...

I have a few examples for you...

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
GUYS!

Listen, after reading a bunch of info and stuff, I'm betting the Fairy type is the real deal

Just see the first trailer from X&Y... when the starters are showcasing their attacks...
Chespin uses a grass attack on a water pokémon. Super effective.
Chespin uses a dark attack on a ghost pokémon. Super effective.
Froakie uses a water attack on a fire pokémon. Super effective.
Froakie uses a fighting attack on a normal pokémon. Super effective.

Now, for my "discovery"
Fennekin uses a *fire* attack on a *fairy*¨pokémon. Super effective! (And yes, this means that I've read that Munchlax and Snorlax get reclassified as Fairy pokémon)
Fennekin uses a *psychic*¨attack on yet another *fairy* pokémon. Super effective!(Here, I'm also assuming Kirlia will get reclassified as Fairy)

It all makes sense, and it would be a very clever way of secretly showcasing this new typing, from day one!

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
GUYS!

Listen, after reading a bunch of info and stuff, I'm betting the Fairy type is the real deal

Just see the first trailer from X&Y... when the starters are showcasing their attacks...
Chespin uses a grass attack on a water pokémon. Super effective.
Chespin uses a dark attack on a ghost pokémon. Super effective.
Froakie uses a water attack on a fire pokémon. Super effective.
Froakie uses a fighting attack on a normal pokémon. Super effective.

Now, for my "discovery"
Fennekin uses a *fire* attack on a *fairy*¨pokémon. Super effective! (And yes, this means that I've read that Munchlax and Snorlax get reclassified as Fairy pokémon)
Fennekin uses a *psychic*¨attack on yet another *fairy* pokémon. Super effective!(Here, I'm also assuming Kirlia will get reclassified as Fairy)

It all makes sense, and it would be a very clever way of secretly showcasing this new typing, from day one!
I don't think it showed what was super effective and what wasn't... Do you have a link to that footage because I've never seen any super effective tags or anything...

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
I don't think it showed what was super effective and what wasn't... Do you have a link to that footage because I've never seen any super effective tags or anything...

Common sense.

I just based on the other two, using commonly known attacks on pokemon we already know (Magikarp, Golruk, the fire monkey and Patrat). It was Fennekin the only one that didn't make sense as to why he would be using those attacks on those seemingly not-very effective pokemon.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Common sense.

I just based on the other two, using commonly known attacks on pokemon we already know (Magikarp, Golruk, the fire monkey and Patrat). It was Fennekin the only one that didn't make sense as to why he would be using those attacks on those seemingly not-very effective pokemon.

I'm saying I haven't seen a video with this on it at all... So I must have missed one everyone else saw...

They could also just be showing off animations so it doesn't prove anything... Why would Fire and Psychic types be super effective to Fairy? We already know its strong against Ice and weak again Poison... I don't see, logically, why those would be super effective.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Common sense.

Fennekin using a Fire-type attack on Munchlax is nothing out of the ordinary. Munchlax doesn't resist it unless it has the Thick Fat ability, which still doesn't technically resist it. Fennekin using a Psychic-type attack on Kirlia is absolutely no basis for you saying that Kirlia will be retyped as a 'Fairy-type'.

It's just showcasing their moves against different Pokemon, that's literally it. If anything the purpose of that was to hint at their possible future dual-types (I personally believe they'll be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting) and to show us which Pokemon could potentially be found in the game.

I've seen the trailers and there isn't a single indication of a new type. People are just getting overhyped because of all of the new features that we're finally getting (diagonal movement, customization, outfits) and want even more. There has already been enough proof that Sylveon will probably be Flying or Bug just by its name.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
I'm saying I haven't seen a video with this on it at all... So I must have missed one everyone else saw...

They could also just be showing off animations so it doesn't prove anything... Why would Fire and Psychic types be super effective to Fairy? We already know its strong against Ice and weak again Poison... I don't see, logically, why those would be super effective.

It was the very first world wide Pokemon X&Y trailer... It's on Youtube, it starts by Pikachu "talking" and introducing the new generation...

And yes, I know it's a long shot, but it also kinda fits. I also have found discrepancies between what types are super effective against Fairy, as well as the final typing of the starters, but that's part of the guessing game, until we have actual proof.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Fennekin using a Fire-type attack on Munchlax is nothing out of the ordinary. Munchlax doesn't resist it unless it has the Thick Fat ability, which still doesn't technically resist it. Fennekin using a Psychic-type attack on Kirlia is absolutely no basis for you saying that Kirlia will be retyped as a 'Fairy-type'.

It's just showcasing their moves against different Pokemon, that's literally it. If anything the purpose of that was to hint at their possible future dual-types (I personally believe they'll be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting) and to show us which Pokemon could potentially be found in the game.

I've seen the trailers and there isn't a single indication of a new type. People are just getting overhyped because of all of the new features that we're finally getting (diagonal movement, customization, outfits) and want even more. There has already been enough proof that Sylveon will probably be Flying or Bug just by its name.

Sylveon took reduced damage from an Ice attack and took extra damage from a Poison attack... I don't know of a typing that does that... It's a new type...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years

The only real indication people have was the Smash video where they were showcasing Sylveon's potential type with the different strengths and weaknesses, which didn't match up to any current types. I mean, I'm still gunning for there not being a new type, but I guess that's pretty decent evidence for a new type. But seriously, here's hoping there isn't one =x

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I would love the fairy type to be introduced, as we have dragon, and it actually makes sense, as a lot of old Pokémon would fit into this typing...

I thought we could maybe discuss what Pokémon and moves we'd like to see get retyped, rather than speculate how it will fit into the type chart! Here are my thoughts!
Cleffa: Fairy
Clefairy: Fairy
Clefable: Fairy
Igglybuff: Fairy
Jigglypuff: Fairy
Wigglytuff: Fairy
Happiny: Fairy
Chansey: Fairy
Blissey: Fairy
Togepi: Fairy
Audino: Fairy
Lickitung: Fairy/Normal
Lickilicky: Fairy/Normal
Snorlax: Fairy/Normal
Snubbull: Fairy/Normal
Granbull: Fairy/Normal
Skitty: Fairy/Normal
Delcatty: Fairy/Normal
Togetic: Fairy/Flying
Togekiss: Fairy/Flying
Swablu: Fairy/Flying
Bellossom: Grass/Fairy
Lilligant: Grass/Fairy
Shaymin (Land Form): Grass/Fairy
Celebi: Fairy/Grass
Misdreavus: Ghost/Fairy
Mismagius: Ghost/Fairy
Volbeat: Bug/Fairy
Illumise: Bug/Fairy
Milotic: Water/Fairy
Luvdisc: Water/Fairy
Phione: Water/Fairy
Alomomola: Water/Fairy
Gardevoir: Psychic/Fairy
Uxie: Psychic/Fairy
Mesprit: Psychic/Fairy
Azelf: Psychic/Fairy
Mienshao: Fighting/Fairy
Mawile: Steel/Fairy
Jirachi: Fairy/Steel
Plusle: Electric/Fairy
Minun: Electric/Fairy
And of course Sylveon would be this type, and maybe Xerneas will be fairy/ground with Yveltal being dark/flying? The moves that I think should become fairy moves are After You, Assist, Bestow, Charm, Heal Bell, Healing Wish, Heal Pulse, Lovely Kiss, Lucky Chant, Lunar Dance, Present, Refresh, Relic Song, Simple Beam, Softboiled, Sweet Kiss, Teeter Dance, Tickle and Wish.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I begin to think if the rumors are true and the difference between Smash chart and rumor chart it could mean we could have 2 new types. One would be Fairy and the other could be something like Sound.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2013
There's always a possibility for a new type wtih each generation. I think one type will be the new eeveelution. I also think there might be a possibility that the new pseudo-legendary will be a new type.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
They could also be reworking the type chart altogether to stir up meta...

Back