• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Followers walking strange

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2014
Hello!
I've managed to make a few scripts, and I've been doing well using switches etc. However, I've tried making an event where I can decide as to whether I want an npc to follow me (I'm hoping to incorporate a system where players choices and actions with npcs will effect certain aspects of the game).

Now, after speaking to an npc I've made it so you have a choice between them accompanying you or not. If you say no, the npc will then walk away and disappear, that is working fine. The problem I'm having is after saying yes, the npc will start to follow you, but the animation isn't working correctly. They follow your character fine, but they move only using one leg. Does anyone have any idea as to how I can make it so they walk normally behind my character?

Thanks.

thor348

That's Oak to You
Years
I just need to say that I didn't expect the "one leg" part and it made me grin. Anyways, have you checked the sprite sheet of the follower? As in, is the sprite only drawn to walk with one leg?

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2014
Haha I didn't know how else to describe it, anyway I guess that's my good deed of the day done then. And yeah, I've checked the sprite sheet and it's been drawn to walk with both. There are 4 sprites to each direction. Stood still, left leg forward, stood still and right leg forward.

thor348

That's Oak to You
Years
Have you edited the DependentEvents script section at all? Which version of Essentials are you using? Did you use the given example of adding a dependent event to follow the player? (This would be brendan)

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2014
No, not yet anyway. I was planning on doing the basics first and making it look pretty after I had the base game completed haha. I'm using the latest version, and I applied the updates to it too, I used the example that was found on the wiki. Maybe that was for an older version?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Dependent events in Essentials behave like that, so it's not something that Rhayne's done.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2014
Ahh I see. I'm assuming dependant events will only use the first two sprites of each direction when walking? If that's right, I could change the order on the sprites of the sprite sheet, but that would make the dependant event look like it's permanently walking? A bit like the Pokemon in the Pokemon follow script? If that's the case, would it then be possible to give a dependant event a separate sprite for when it isn't moving? Thanks for all the replies by the way haha.

Back