• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Team Idea

Years
Heyy Dippydunker here, I have recently grown an interest in competitive battling and I have been looking into different Pokemon that can take the different rolls in a team. I wanted to get a bit of constructive criticism (Or even Compliments!) about my team selection, Also I am lacking a final member of my team so any suggestions for that position would be much obliged as well! Thanks!

1. Volcarona
Roll: Special Sweeper
Nature: Jolly
Move Set:
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fire Blast
Solar Beam
Ev's: 252 special attack, 252 speed, 6 Defence.

2.Omastar
Roll: Lead
Move Set:
Stealth Rock
Rain Dance
Surf
Earth Power
Ev's: 4Hp, 252 Special attack, 252 Speed.

3. Metagross
Roll: Physical sweeper
Move Set:
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Thunder Punch
Explosion
Ev's: 252 attack, 4 defence, 252 speed.

4. Skarmory
Roll: Physical Defence
Move set:
Whirlwind
Roost
Brave Bird
Spikes
Ev's: 252 hp, 252 Defence, 4 Speed

5. Blissey
Roll: Special Wall
Move Set:
Wish
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Toxic
Ev's: 252 Hp, 252 Defence, 4 Speed

6. I was thinking possibly dusknoir? Any advice?

Most criticisms welcome. . I have No experience in competitive battling so I'm not quite sure what makes a good team, but i'm pretty sure I'm missing some elements :\ None of these pokemon are trained yet so I was hoping to get some Advice before I started. Thanks!

Until The Next Time, Dippydunker

If I've posted this in the wrong thread oops! It seemed like the right one at the time! And if I haven't then ignore the preempted apology lol :P

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
I'm going to point out that I am not an ultimate competitive know-it-all, so I might not make the right decisions xD

Volcarona:

Looks as it should be for a special sweeper. Although it seems it may be too reckless with the 2-turn attack, Solarbeam and not-so-accurate Fire Blast. Is it possible to teach him Flamethrower instead? And to amp it up, you could put Choice Specs on him. Fire Blast really had to go, but Solarbeam :/ That's tough. Perhaps Aerial Ace of Fly? I'm not entirely sure. What ever floats your boat will do.

Omastar: My only suggestion on Omastar would have to replace Earth Power with Toxic or Toxic Spikes. Also, have Omastar sent out first and see if you can quickly apply Stealth Rock along with Toxic Spikes in any possible way. Not sure what he could use for an item... Maybe Eject Button?

Metagross: Looks just about right. If you happen to use Explosion, be sure it's for a drastic cause. As for an item, (I might regret saying) Choice Scarf,
and if it doesn't turn out too well, then most definitely Choice Band.

Skarmory: Skarmory looks alright. You just might need some Leftovers on him.

Blissey: Blissey looks fine to me. Item... Not sure :/ Possibly Shell Bell?

Overall, this is a nice team. But I keep mine out of the ordinary :)

I'm going to point out that I am not an ultimate competitive know-it-all, so I might not make the right decisions xD

Volcarona:

Looks as it should be for a special sweeper. Although it seems it may be too reckless with the 2-turn attack, Solarbeam and not-so-accurate Fire Blast. Is it possible to teach him Flamethrower instead? And to amp it up, you could put Choice Specs on him. Fire Blast really had to go, but Solarbeam :/ That's tough. Perhaps Aerial Ace of Fly? I'm not entirely sure. What ever floats your boat will do.

Omastar: My only suggestion on Omastar would have to replace Earth Power with Toxic or Toxic Spikes. Also, have Omastar sent out first and see if you can quickly apply Stealth Rock along with Toxic Spikes in any possible way. Not sure what he could use for an item... Maybe Eject Button?

Metagross: Looks just about right. If you happen to use Explosion, be sure it's for a drastic cause. As for an item, (I might regret saying) Choice Scarf,
and if it doesn't turn out too well, then most definitely Choice Band.

Skarmory: Skarmory looks alright. You just might need some Leftovers on him.

Blissey: Blissey looks fine to me. Item... Not sure :/ Possibly Shell Bell?

Overall, this is a nice team. But I like to keep mine out of the ordinary :)

Last edited:
Years
Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I will act on it. . .Hopefully find a good tank and then I should have a battle worthy team!

lionrt60

Animal Crossing 3ds ♥
Years
First of all read this to see what is allowed in standard play :P

Volcarona: Imo you should use this.

Spr_5b_637.png

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, - Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Flame Dance / Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock/Ground]

Obviously Quiver dance & bug buzz, flame dance or fire blast, really you want flame dance but I think this is a wifi team (correct me if i'm wrong) and it learns flame dance at level 100 and it is a pain to train D:

Blissey: In my opinion this will be more useful.

Spr_5b_242.png

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait : Natural Cure
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
Evs: 252 Def / 80 SAtk / 176 SpD
- Softboiled
- Thunderwave / Toxic
- Flamethrower / Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss

Softboiled for recovery, t-wave/toxic for the status you deem more suitable for your team, flamethrower/ice beam to take care of certain threats and seismic toss for a good 100 damage. (p.s. this is the way you should arrange your info in the future ^^)

Omastar: DON'T USE RAIN DANCE, I'm sorry but I cant stress this enough, don't use rain dance on a team not based around it! Also I would suggest spikes over stealth rock as if you don't import from generation IV you can't get stealth rock, however skarmory knows spikes and is generally more useful so I would drop this :(

Metagross: Is pretty good but use one of these as explosion no longer really works D:

Trick Band
Spoiler:

Agility
Spoiler:

Skarmory: Is pretty good, just a few adaptations in this.

Spr_5b_227.png

Skarmory @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
Trait : Sturdy
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
Evs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 16 Spe
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Your moveset with a more complicated Ev spread xD it does prove more useful though ^^ Spikes couple with whirlwind to rack up damage on the opposing team breaking focus sashes as well as scouting for the opponents pokemon. Roost to restore hp and brave bird so as not to be shut down by taunt. Also Shed Shell to escape the ever more popular magnezone who can trap and kill (or reduce to 1 hp if you are at full health) skarmory.

as for the (now 2) pokémon slots you may not want to listen to this really have empty perhaps try this?

Spr_5b_635.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 Hp / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk) / Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Surf / Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- U-Turn / Dark Pulse

Draco meteor or dragon pulse for good stab, surf/focus blast for a coverage move for the threats you deem more important to cover, Fire blast for coverage and one of u-turn or dark pulse depending on whether you want to revenge kill/scout or just kill, kill, kill xD

As for a lead try this as an antilead.

Spr_5b_620.png

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Fake Out
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Taunt
- Hi Jump Kick

Fake out on the first turn for flinch, then either u turn out to another more useful poké or Hi Jump Kick for big damage. Use either hidden power Ice to beat landorus, gliscor and other such pokémon or taunt for, well, taunting slower pokémon.

Those last two might not have been too good but it's just my opinion xP hope this helps you ^^

EDIT: Upon reflection you might prefer starmie over hydreigon for rapid spin support as volcarona is weak to all forms of entry damage. If so use this.

Spr_5b_121.png

Starmie @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
-Rapid Spin
-Surf / Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
-Recover

Just comes in, spins, recovers off damage, maybe attacks and when it switches back out it loses poisoning because of natural cure if the opponent layed down toxic spikes.

Last edited:
Years
Wow... Thanks for taking the time to offer me such useful help! I will definitely act on what you guys have suggested! I see a rather nice wifi team starting to shape up!! Thanks a million!

Back