• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HeartGold or SoulSilver?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
In 2010 a pair of remakes for Gold and Silver were released, respectively named HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Which one of the two games do you prefer, and why? Do you think that they games were feature-rich, or lacking any thereof? What should they have kept from G/S/C that they ended up slashing?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I prefer HeartGold, mainly because it was the one I bought out of the two when they were released, and because I had owned Pokemon Gold as a kid. So in summary, I prefer HeartGold for nostalgic reasons.

Also, I added a poll to this thread because wynaut?

Years
Despite being one who never played the originals, I voted SoulSilver because at the time, my brother got HeartGold so it was fitting I got the opposite version. He sadly retired from Pokemon afterwards but I was glad I picked SoulSilver because it had the version exclusives I liked better, and I'm more of a Lugia person than a Ho-Oh person in general.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
HeartGold, it was the third game I played in the Nintendo DS.
HeartGold had Growlithe, Arcanine, Kyogre, Gliscor and you'd get Ho-oh first.

Aside from the version exclusives, I played Gold before Silver, mainly because I wasn't interested in the color Silver (hah lol). And besides I'm not a fan of Lugia.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 19, 2013
I always thought Gold> Silver, except in the days when i really wanted Ledian.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Ohio
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
I prefer HeartGold for unknown reasons, but I owned both. I used HG as my main game and SS as my trial and error game for my action replay.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Heartgold because it has Growlithe. Hands down. Really though, there's not much difference besides version exclusives. I like the Pokemon HG has to offer more so that's why I went with it. :p

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
My sister got HG, so I got SS. I liked the version exclusives more, and I prefer Lugia more than Ho-oh.

Years
HeartGold because Ho-Oh is one of my very favorite legendaries. Totally awesome design.. and gold > silver anyday. :D

Crzyphl

The Crazy Phil
Years
  • Age 28
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 1, 2014
Soulsilver because Lugia>Ho-oh in my opinion... At least, the design. Stat-wise I prefer Ho-oh.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I had both games, but personally, I preferred SoulSilver more. Vulpix was exclusive to this game, which is my most favorite Pokémon. SoulSilver had access to Skarmory as well, which is also my favorite. Also, Pokémon Silver was my first ever second-generation game, sooo… there's that. xD"

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
Years
Though I played Silver more as a child and have fond memories of doing so, I got HeartGold first because I wanted a Growlithe on my team. And I have one, so it all works out.

Years
I choose SoulSilver because an old friend of mine gave me years ago Silver and i enjoyed the game really much. And oww i am more a Lugia person.

Sorry for my bad English.

Years
HeartGold of course!
There are three reasons why I like HeartGold better, let's discuss about it shall we?

No. 1, COLOR: Despite liking the color SILVER right now, I've always been a better fan of the color GOLD.

No. 2, EXCLUSIVES: I like majority of HeartGold's exclusives than SoulSilver.
It's as simple as that.

Last but not least, No. 3, VERSION MASCOT: I like Ho-oh better than Lugia.
Ho-oh is like, more offensive than Lugia and it has an impressive Attack stat, to me at least.

Back