• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon - Text Version

Leikaru

Back from the dead...
Years
  • Notice: This game is designed for people who enjoy Text-Games...

Introduction

I love games. I play them all the time. But really, I miss the really old games. Before the very first 'console' games. Yes, I'm talking about them text games on the very first computers. They were awesome. Even the ones in books. They were good too. I just wish, at some point or another, every game took a step back, and went back to that era of gaming. Not that it probably will happen. But as for Pokémon, it will happen. It's going to be awesome. It's going to be made by me. Yeah, sure it's unofficial, but still, since when have you been able to play a text Pokémon game? I've never seen one. I've seen people TRY to make them, but I haven't seen any be published. Therefore, I plan to do publish it. Every single step of the way, you will be able to see some sort of progress on the game. Anyway... ONTO POKÉMON TEXT VERSION!

Pokémon - Text Version

There will be steady progress of the Text Games. Yes, there will be more than one. The first game will be based off Pokémon Red Version. Yes, that includes Sprites. The game is text-based, but images are in the game. Here is what will be complete first:

• Pokémon Red Version
    • Pokémon Blue Version

These two will be released as a pair, but I will only work on one for the time being, and that will be Pokémon Red Version. The reason being the versions are not too different. After this, I shall consider making a 'Green' Version of it. After that, I may even consider translating them, with help of course. But of course, if the idea doesn't seem very popular, I will leave it with the first games, and they will be the only games. But if the idea seems popular, then I will definitely carry on working on this project.

So... there may be a Yellow Version, but it's quite similar to Pokémon Red and Blue, so that will probably come out about 4 weeks after those two. Then I'll consider Gen II, Gen III, Gen IV and Gen V, and perhaps go as far as Gen VI, hopefully. I can't promise anything though.

Also, a thing to note is that the regions will be the same as they would be in the original, no 'new' towns or cities, or gyms. However, I could consider making a complete Fan-Game out of it.

The games will really be as you would expect. Text Based, With Battles, and things like that. However, if I get as far as this, I may consider releasing the source code, making an 'engine' of some sort. Obviously, it won't really be an engine, but it can help other people out if they ever wish to make their own custom Text Games, even if they aren't Pokémon related.

Here is my plan, if you're interested:
    1. Work on core engine
    2. Work on GUI (probably be very easy, I will be working with Visual Basic 2010 Forms)
    3. 3) Work on Pokédex
    4. 4) Do the rest

This, in my daily day-to-day life, should take about 3 months.

Pokémon Red Version

Spoiler:

Help

As far as I know, I will more likely than not need help. Unless the idea appears to become very popular, which is when I will consider it.

Anyway, Thanks For Reading,

Leikaru

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The game is text-based, but images are in the game.
    We clearly have different ideas of what text games are, then. Do you intend to replicate the graphics as close as possible using ASCII characters? Or will it be just text with one or two graphics at the side showing related things (e.g. a wild Pokémon sprite)? Concept "art" would be nice, so we know what you're thinking of.

I think a roguelike Pokémon game would be quite interesting to have. Or a MUD game. Both are text-based, but quite different to play (and as I said, I don't know which one you're aiming for, if either).

Leikaru

Back from the dead...
    Years
  • We clearly have different ideas of what text games are, then. Do you intend to replicate the graphics as close as possible using ASCII characters? Or will it be just text with one or two graphics at the side showing related things (e.g. a wild Pokémon sprite)? Concept "art" would be nice, so we know what you're thinking of.

I think a roguelike Pokémon game would be quite interesting to have. Or a MUD game. Both are text-based, but quite different to play (and as I said, I don't know which one you're aiming for, if either).

It will be text, but sort of modernized, with Graphics and Such, but I should be able to keep it's retro feel. As for it's game style, I would say it has elements of both, so it's difficult to be sure about where it fits in.

Update: First pictures coming soon
    Update 2: Added Pictures. In the spoiler under the heading 'Pokémon Red Version'

Last edited:

Leikaru

Back from the dead...
    Years
  • Almost a month... and I haven't given any updates! Apologies there. Anyway, be sure to see more updates coming up soon. Including this one:
    Version 0.0.1.1 Will released next week... as of current schedules. If my schedule changes, in other words, if anything gets in my way, I will have to put it back a bit. I could release it earlier though.

Years
  • This looks interesting. I always thought of a text based game with a better interface. But then I thought, if you have the interface all nice looking why not give it some graphics? Then I realized the game wouldn't be text anymore. I think the text games have died out in favor of 8-bit sprite games IMO. but don't let me get you down. Looks nice.

Back