• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The thing about legendary pokemon...

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
Years
  • Actually, I was just wondering, what do they mean when they say legendary? I mean, my idea of a legendary pokemon is something that is truly rare and can't be found anywhere... its location is vague and almost can't be found.

If so, what about Moltres/Articuno/Zapdos? can they be considered legendary? because in movie 2, their locations are really known.. the people on shamouti island really knows that moltres resides on fire island, zapdos in lightning island, and articuno on ice island. In my opinion, truly legendary pokemon are really those like Ho-oh, which appears really rarely. I think moltres/articuno/zapdos are considered rare pokemon more than legendary.

Anyone has any comments? what do you think about this 'theory'?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Legendary really just means that there is some sort of story behind the Pokémon. It also means that they are rare, which means that even if Rattata has some story behind it, it's not legendary.

For Shamouti Island, the people knew according to legend. It's not like the bird trio would come to the main island just to...party?

The Latis are legendary, due to the fact that they have the history behind them. Yet, you see them flying around town, albeit invisible. << And Bianca and Lorenzo know about them.

Really, it's just because of the history behind them. You wouldn't count Mewtwo in that sense, as no one knows about it. Except for Satoshi-tachi, but they aren't talking.

For the games, any creature that is seen only once, can't breed and has uber stats.

Hope that helps. :/

kiarou

cold and silent
    Years
  • I had always thought ledgendary pokemon to be pokemon that there were just one type of, like theres only one ho-oh in the world of pokemon just as theres only one entei or raikou,but then again...who knows

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • hahas... that was what that provoked me to start this thread.. it was the difference between the usual legendaries like the birds and the rocks, and ho-oh... I somehow feel that they were a lil' different.. hence this thread XD

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
  • I thought solely cuz of the fact that there's one of them.....in other words,....they are 99.99% on the virge of extincton.....and Ash and Brock won't talk about Mewtwo,cuz they lost memory(I'm assuming you guys know that already)........I feel like I left out something...do I make sense to you guys?....

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • Rioku_Zanketa said:
    I thought solely cuz of the fact that there's one of them.....in other words,....they are 99.99% on the virge of extincton.....and Ash and Brock won't talk about Mewtwo,cuz they lost memory(I'm assuming you guys know that already)........I feel like I left out something...do I make sense to you guys?....

They didn't lose their memories anymore if you've watched Mewtwo Returns.. it's a part 2 to Mewtwo Strikes Back.. And I also liked your point on the 99.99% on the verge of extinction.. never even thought about the extinction issue before.. interesting :P

LavenderCase

Faint steps grow stronger.
    Years
  • I guess they can be compared to this world's Phoenix, Lochness Monster, Bigfoot, and those other mysterious animals, not much is really known except the latter, they're real, sometimes their existence is determined by myth, or they're one of a kind.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • LavenderCase said:
    I guess they can be compared to this world's Phoenix, Lochness Monster, Bigfoot, and those other mysterious animals, not much is really known except the latter, they're real, sometimes their existence is determined by myth, or they're one of a kind.

but these monsters were only being speculated because people claimed to have seen them.. so, there is a possibility that these creatures really existed.

Sighs, but for pokemon, sadly, it was really created by human and mankind alone. So it's sad, because 'pokemon' is unlikely to have existed.. :( Hmm, but perhaps the creator created pokemon because he really saw one and was inspired to start pokemon? LOL.

Okay, I think I'm getting a lil' out of topic here :P

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • I think legendaries are worshipped* pokemon and/or have exceptional qualities.

@miyo and Rioku Zanketa: Lengendaries arent 99.99% extinct. Well at least Latias isnt.(:P) Her Emerald Pokedex says they gather in herds of several members.

@miyo (again): Well, just think to yourself, with the quintillions of planets out there, there's bound to be one with pokemon :D

Legendary birds: Beasts of Fire, Ice, Lightning, and water
    Latis: Protectors of Altomare
    Lucario: Savior of the Tree of Origins alongside Aaron

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Hmm... Legendary Pokemon. If you say that they have a certain story behind them, well then, any ordinary Pokemon can be legendary (say like "the Ratata who nicked the Picknickers food and never got caught" kind of thing).

I consider these Pokemon to be Mythical rather than Legendary. Mainly because not a lot of people see them, and most of the battles these Pokemon fought were titanic (the Groudon/Kyogre Battle for instance) and it had the fate of the world in the balance.

Call them Legendary if you want, I don't mind. I just thought they ought to be called something better.

Rioku_Zanketa

Years
  • #1 Latias said:
    I think legendaries are worshipped* pokemon and/or have exceptional qualities.

@miyo and Rioku Zanketa: Lengendaries arent 99.99% extinct. Well at least Latias isnt.(:P) Her Emerald Pokedex says they gather in herds of several members.

@miyo (again): Well, just think to yourself, with the quintillions of planets out there, there's bound to be one with pokemon :D

Legendary birds: Beasts of Fire, Ice, Lightning, and water
    Latis: Protectors of Altomare
    Lucario: Savior of the Tree of Origins alongside Aaron
    Lugia is/supposed to be psichic,just so you know...so who's the water bird?....and did they ever officially say Latias is ledgendary?.....I don't remember ever hearing that...and based upon the world,a heard of latias only,means that it's just a tad bit higher or equal to 99.99%

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • The Latis were in the prologue to Pokemon Heroes (Japanese-only) where they told the story of how hundreds of them saved the world, or at least Altomare I think. but o well. Verify with Serebii.net

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • Kraka-chan said:
    Hmm... Legendary Pokemon. If you say that they have a certain story behind them, well then, any ordinary Pokemon can be legendary (say like "the Ratata who nicked the Picknickers food and never got caught" kind of thing).

I consider these Pokemon to be Mythical rather than Legendary. Mainly because not a lot of people see them, and most of the battles these Pokemon fought were titanic (the Groudon/Kyogre Battle for instance) and it had the fate of the world in the balance.

Call them Legendary if you want, I don't mind. I just thought they ought to be called something better.

I agree with calling them comething nicer.. Other than Ho-oh (I am still rather convinced that Ho-oh is different and can still be called legendary), I think the rest shouldn't be called legendary..

Hmm.. in my opinion, legendaries shouldn't be seen.. Ash and co has seen the rest of the pokemon and had a closer encounter with them. But Ho-oh.. no one has ever seen Ho-oh really.. Ash had only seen very quick views of it... so, yeah, I still think Ho-oh is different. I think Ho-oh can still be called a legendary..

♥Naomi♥

My gameboy tastes like pickles
    Years
  • #1 Latias said:
    Lengendaries arent 99.99% extinct. Well at least Latias isnt.(:P) Her Emerald Pokedex says they gather in herds of several members.
    yeah,i was wondering bout that...and in pokemon heros there WAS 2 latios,latios and his father sealed in soul dew,then latias,and there possibly WAS latias's mother

as for mewtwo,it has no myths or legend to back up its uberness.i dont consider it a legendary.

the legendary birds,eh,not so much.

and the legendary cats/dogs/whatever you call them,i belive they are.no one really ever knows where they are because of there fastness...

ho-oh and lugia:i think they both are.not as much lugia as ho-oh because ppl have seen it O_O

regis:if you read the braille in the game,it says ppl sealed them because they where terrorizing them or something(mabys a conection with the tree of origin?).

but meh,just my theroy

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • Well, Mewtwo was genetically engineered from Mew's DNA.

Oh, and don't you think other legendaries must've had parents like the Latis and Lugia? Otherwise, how would they survive? Of course they'd be extinct, then.

Regis dont need parents 'cause they're bots.

♥Naomi♥

My gameboy tastes like pickles
    Years
  • #1 Latias said:
    Well, Mewtwo was genetically engineered from Mew's DNA.

Oh, and don't you think other legendaries must've had parents like the Latis and Lugia? Otherwise, how would they survive? Of course they'd be extinct, then.

Regis dont need parents 'cause they're bots.
    yeah,if there are even legendarys at all,they would need parents,to keep there species alive,they would need to some how breed.so i dont see how legendarys cant breed,exept for the regis,as you said,there bots.

Rioku_Zanketa

Years
  • hold on,hold on,hold on........some of you say that not many people know about the poke'mon that are considered ledgendaries.....therefor you say they aren't.....well,....don't ya think we coun't?....and if not how come?...we know about poke'mon all the same!!and truthfuly the guys in the gameboys aren't the same either!!cuz if they were,....all poke'mon trainers in the games' I.d's are not the same,.....there for..............they're not............wait.......OK!!!!!depend's on which poke'mon world you're talking about!!!!I kinda stumbled onto the game world as well....so I guess in this quesion,the game universe goes along with the cartoon universe,...so while asking the question means also asking for which world too....

so in otherwords,...the Ledgenaries are indeed Ledgendary in the cartoon series...because to THE PRESENT DAY,....not many people see Latias,so it's not determined by how many,but how many important people have seen it...si indeed,yeap.....in the series,all ledgendary poke'mon are,...well,Ledgendary...WHILE as in the games,no...they're far from that,...because many people have seen one,and many people have traded them...and those guys in the game not only represent themselves,but also us because we are making 87.86% of all actions taken.....

wow....I think I just solved it...does anyone understand all that?!...(doubt it...:\)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    If you also throw in the quality of Legendaries that there should only be one of them, then that means that a lot of what are considered Legendaries aren't anymore.

There is more than one Lugia. In fact, there is three. The Lugia from the Orange Islands, the Lugia from the Whirl Islands, and the baby Lugia. So while there are the legends surrounding Lugia, like it being the "Beast of the Sea" and creating/ending storms, then it is not really Legendary in the fact that there is more than one.

There is more than one of the Legendary Bird Trio. The three from the Orange Islands, the three from Johto, and the Articuno that Noland has. Though there are the legends of these birds saving lives and being part of the Shamouti prophecy, they lose thier Legendary status because there is more than one.

It could be highly debated that there are multiple Celebi. In "Guardian of the Forest," all those Celebi came from different moments in time to help the "present day" Celebi. (Or would it be past day?) So while there is the legend of Celebi passing through time, they also lose their Legendary status because there is more than one.

We know that there is more than one Lati@s. It said so in both the movie and the games. No real discussion there.

As for the fact that Legendaries have been seen: The Legendary Beasts(Raikou, Entei, and Suicune) race across the land, keeping an eye on the human race. You don't honestly think that they would have been spotted once in the three hundred years they've been running?

The Legendary Bird Trio has been seen because their legends say that they came down from the sky to rescue humans.

If they truely are the "gods" of the Pokémon world, then there is no reason to think that gods and mortals can not mix. It happened in the stories of the ancient Greek gods. It could happen in the Pokémon world.

The reason why these Pokés are considered legendary in the games is due to the stats. Games can influence the anime, but the two don't have to equal one another. They are also pixels, and you can duplicate them using a cheat. It's not easy to duplicate Pokémon in the show's world. They are gods in that media, fighting machines in the game's media.

In other words: games =/= anime

Back