• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

USP

Years
  • Well, at first I read the plot and see how interesting the game is. Then, I check the screenshots to see how the story really plays out, I mean, I'm not gonna make a game called "Pokémon: Rise of the Dark" and then the screenshots are all about Gyms and stuff...
    The screenshots really need to catch my eye, not just as in having a good tileset, but if you can make good ow's, oh man...
    I also HATE ruby tiles, so if you're gonna use ruby tiles, gg, I'm out ;) (Yes, I know I shouldn't be so close-minded, but you know...)
    I've also started to dislike Emerald tiles lately..

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Do you mean people's personal hacks or hacks in general?

The 'USP' for my hack would be that I've tried to implement a multi-class-based RPG system where players can choose their own career and personality which affects their storyline as they play. To my knowledge, I think I'm the first person to have done this in a rom hack, however amateur-ly it's been done, lol!

If you mean for hacks in general, definitely story. A game could have amazing graphics, sprites, OWs, but if it has a bad, un-engaging storyline, that's a major turn-off for me. Would rather play a hack with default graphics and an amazing story!

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
  • From the first look it has to be graphics.
    Once you start playing the game it's probably story.

This actually sums up most of the hacks here. People do usually set their eyes on screenshots first, with the story beings second.

I would say that my hack's selling point are the incorporated Fakemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    New/updated gameplay mechanics and clever scripting are what I tend I focus on the most both when I'm working on a hack and when I'm playing a hack. New music is also a huge selling point for me. I tend to pay very little attention to the story when I'm playing, which gets me into trouble sometimes. Screenshots/graphics are the biggest selling points for gen 3 hacks, in my opinion. For gen 1 and 2, I could make an argument that the biggest selling point is the amount of "engine overhaul" that's been done.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Not really sure if this counts, but I guess it's humor for my hack.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • I like games that have good gameplay elements and some nice tiles. Not really one on Story and Plot. But if I were to talk about my own ROM hack....oh wait, I didn't make the thread yet o.o NEVERRRMIND xD

But definetly a game that could incorporate gameplay well.

Back