• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • It's assumed that they added the Pokémon to their teams in-between Gens 1 and 2, because otherwise, they'd be using teams of nothing but Venonat/Venomoth and Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam. :|

You criticize me for arguing a retcon yet you go with an assumption yourself? :P

They changed Blaine's ace in Gen 2 so he wouldn't have the same one as Blue.

I did some research before replying to your earlier post and, at least according to Blue's GSC team, he doesn't have an ace in those games. Exeggutor, Arcanine and Gyarados, which are his highest leveled Pokémon, are all at the same levels. GF has had characters with the same aces in the past. In HGSS, Falkner and Blue share an ace (as weird as it is for Blue's ace to be Pidgeot). Blaine has Magmortar as his ace in the HGSS rematch, which is the same ace as Flint, and Bertha and Giovanni share aces, too.

Blaine, however, is an unique example. His canon ace, going by the PWT, is Arcanine, which is in tune with RGBY and FRLG. Blaine should've had Magmar in Yellow, but I think the anime hadn't reached Cinnabar Gym yet when Yellow was developed. Still, he has Ninetales in Yellow, which he also does in the anime. In the other games, his ace is either Rapidash (GSC, HGSS) or Magmortar (HGSS rematch).

So, you would rather accept a RETCON than argue for that "icky anime game" being canon? Give me a damn break! :rolleyes2:

And, Bellossom is a Generation 2 Pokémon, not a "Johto Pokémon."

It could've originated in Johto because you can only find Sun Stones in Johto, at least in GSC.

But it's a matter of terminology, really. I call 2nd gen Pokémon "Johto Pokémon" and will build Johto-only teams which consist of only 2nd gen Pokémon despite some of them being found only in Kanto in the games (one of the examples is in my sig).

Which is only a HEADCANON.

It's still a valid possibility. Why would Koga and Janine have Muk and Weezing if it wasn't due to a nod to RB?

Because, the original thread was about the ORIGINAL games, not the remakes. (Which are a different timeline.)

I consider the GB games to have been superceded by their remakes, as most of the fandom does.

Because, it's the only EXPLICIT RB reference, and he HAS NO STARTER.

Of course he has no starter. They didn't want to canonize one of the RGB starters, and they couldn't either since Red has Pikachu. But the whole team is the same from RGB, and he doesn't have the Eevee he started with in Yellow.

Based on that logic, Emerald isn't canon, either. GF hates Third Versions, in general. (Which is what Yellow is, whine and moan about it all you want.)

It could be canon considering ORAS introduced the idea of parallel timelines.

They made Origins as a marketing ploy to get older Gen fans excited for XY, not to serve as a "replacement" for the anime with Ash (neither of which will EVER be game canon).

It won't replace the Ash anime but it's more canon than Ash's story since, you know, it was actually based on the game canon.

Again, Origins IS NOT CANON. It's an ADAPTATION, and nothing more. It's NOT a replacement for a new remake and frankly, I don't WANT it to be.

But it could be a good template for a re-remake. Origins can't be canon because it would canonize Red and Blue's teams, but what I was saying is that they don't need to release a remake of RBY for now, because RBY (or rather, RB) already got enough exposure from Origins and Sycamore's choice of Pokémon.

Speaking of the regular anime, I don't hate it as much as I've grown out of it. I got older, so I'd prefer the franchise to go with a darker tone in an adaptation.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    You criticize me for arguing a retcon yet you go with an assumption yourself? :P

It's a very logical and reasonable one. Gloom evolves into Bellossom, and Erika had a Gloom as an ace in a previous game (just the game that you don't like). I figured it out when I was 10.

I did some research before replying to your earlier post and, at least according to Blue's GSC team, he doesn't have an ace in those games. Exeggutor, Arcanine and Gyarados, which are his highest leveled Pokémon, are all at the same levels.

Arcanine was his highest-leveled Pokémon (in GSC, at least), so it's his ace.

GF has had characters with the same aces in the past. In HGSS, Falkner and Blue share an ace (as weird as it is for Blue's ace to be Pidgeot). Blaine has Magmortar as his ace in the HGSS rematch, which is the same ace as Flint, and Bertha and Giovanni share aces, too.

But, not in the same game right next to each other, like Blaine and Blue in GSC.

It could've originated in Johto because you can only find Sun Stones in Johto, at least in GSC.

But it's a matter of terminology, really. I call 2nd gen Pokémon "Johto Pokémon" and will build Johto-only teams which consist of only 2nd gen Pokémon despite some of them being found only in Kanto in the games (one of the examples is in my sig).

It's bad terminology. There isn't a single non-Starter Pokémon of any Gen that's restricted to a single region, especially when you're talking about the closely-connected Kanto and Johto. And, many Gen 2 Pokémon, like Slugma and the aforementioned Houndour, were never native to Johto to begin with, and that's not even getting into cross-Gen pre/evolutions.

I consider the GB games to have been superceded by their remakes, as most of the fandom does.

You don't speak for the entire fandom. I can't stand FRLG, myself, and while HGSS were good, they'll never truly replace GSC for me. And, besides, ORAS established the existence of separate timelines, so if RSE and their remakes exist on separate timelines, shouldn't it also be the case for RBY/GSC and their remakes?

Of course he has no starter. They didn't want to canonize one of the RGB starters, and they couldn't either since Red has Pikachu. But the whole team is the same from RGB, and he doesn't have the Eevee he started with in Yellow.

Which means that he has a team that doesn't come from any of the previous games (in GSC, at least). My theory is that he boxed his Eevee (which he evolved into Flareon, hence his ace being another Fire type), along with Sandslash, Magneton, and Cloyster, and replaced them with stronger Pokémon after they failed him against Red. No, it's not hard canon by any means, but it makes sense for his character, and it explains away the glaring continuity error.

It could be canon considering ORAS introduced the idea of parallel timelines.

... Just like Yellow and the rest of the early Gen games. If it's a Main Series handheld that was made by Game Freak, then it exists, period, even if you don't like the game. Again, I hate the GBA games, but I'd never argue against them being canon. (Except in my main timeline, the original RBY/GSC timeline, that is, where I can safely ignore them in my stories. :P)

It won't replace the Ash anime but it's more canon than Ash's story since, you know, it was actually based on the game canon.

It's still an adaptation that Game Freak didn't have any involvement with, as faithful as it may have been. It's equally as canon as Pokémon Zensho, which is not at all.

But it could be a good template for a re-remake. Origins can't be canon because it would canonize Red and Blue's teams, but what I was saying is that they don't need to release a remake of RBY for now, because RBY (or rather, RB) already got enough exposure from Origins and Sycamore's choice of Pokémon.

Of course, a new remake could always borrow things from Origins (like the fleshed-out Marowak story), just like Yellow borrowed things from the regular anime. Then, they would be canon.

And, getting the old starters in a completely different game set in a completely different region with completely different characters isn't at all equivalent to a new Gen 1 remake. Nor, is a non-canon anime adaptation.

Speaking of the regular anime, I don't hate it as much as I've grown out of it. I got older, so I'd prefer the franchise to go with a darker tone in an adaptation.

I think a lot of us have. I won't lie, I still view the Kanto/Orange seasons with a nostalgic fondness, but I'd be the first to admit that the show hasn't aged very well. Even now, it's still clearly a kids show aimed at kids.

As an adult, myself, I prefer adult stories about adult characters (hence the reason why most of my fanfiction focuses on Gym Leaders and Elite Four members, nowadays), although not necessarily "dark." (One of many reasons I loathe Adventures; too much of it reads like someone's bad dark!fic.) I like things that are smart/witty, character-driven, and relatable.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Yuck, I hope not. To be honest, outside of a few things like the VS Seeker and the Sevii Islands (which should look very different, anyways), new Gen 1 remakes would be wise to just ignore FRLG and act like they were remaking the original games from scratch. One of the biggest reasons for new Gen 1 remakes is how flawed and poorly-handled FRLG were, anyways, and the new games should not commit those same mistakes.

Emerald was largely ignored as well, outside of a cameo appearance of Wallace's Champion team in the Delta Episode thing. The Gym Leaders all had their RS teams (to the disappointment of many fans), the plot followed RS, and Emerald exclusives like Juan and the Battle Frontier were nowhere to be found (also to the disappointment of many fans). Only Crystal has been fully acknowledged by its Gen's remakes, which is a pretty lousy track record, IMO. (And, doesn't bode well for Platinum in eventual Gen 4 remakes.)

If Generation 5 and (probably) Generation 6 are anything to go by, GF seems to have largely abandoned the idea of Third Versions in favor of sequels, and seeing as B2W2 ended up selling better than any Third Version besides Yellow (7.81 million vs Crystal's 6.39 million, Emerald's 6.41 million, and Platinum's 7.59 million; the only reason B2W2's sales weren't even higher was because the games were released for a dying handheld), it's a wise financial decision, especially now that XY (13.29 million) have dethroned RS (15.85 million) as the franchise's worst-selling paired games.

That's because they didn't take the time to make FRLG look any better. Yet again, another reason why they should've waited until Gen 4 to make the games.

(And, the Gen 3 games already had pretty mediocre graphics by GBA standards, IMO. Just look at some of the hacks on this very site to see what the handheld was actually capable of.)

Well, HGSS and ORAS did an acceptable job of of that. It was FRLG that was a lazy copy/paste.
    Is it even fair to compare B2W2 with the third versions? They're two games versus one game so of course they'll sell better. Emerald sold the best irc if you split RS and FrLf instead of putting the pairs sales as one of the GBA games. Platinum for sure beats B2W2 when they're split into two. And speaking of a dead console I read a rumor awhile ago that GF went with B2W2 instead of Grey to spice things up for the final games of Gen V as they feared the third version wouldn't sell well. Now Z will be on a console that isn't dying so there will be little need to make two versions of the same thing. Chances are a single Z will beat the sales of B2W2 tbh (heck Pt gets close).

Also by Emerald I meant the role of Rayquaza which was brought up in story as part of the myths of Hoenn, not necessary the teams. I wouldn't mind an Emerald remake though to add Juan and Scott (btw both were brought up in ORAS unlike Jessie and James).

I agree with Cerberus on the point that a Kanto remake is unlikely any time soon due to the Kanto starters being available in Kalos early on (interestingly even those that appeared post game just as the Johto starters had to wait 5 years between their latest two appearances (2004 Emerald to 2009 HgSs. Even more interesting the Johto starter's were also available in 1999 before Emerald...and 5 years after their remakes...so starting with GSC they've popped up every five years (JP)), and Hoenn's waited five years too (HgSs 2009 to 2014 ORAS (and like the Johto starters starting with Crystal the Hoenn starters have appeared in game every five years starting with Emerald (Sinnoh and Unova don't fit though, nor do the Kanto ones))) and the rest of Kanto legends are available in XY too. Chances are GF will take 2015 off and make Z for 2016, start Gen VII in 2017 or 2018. I think late this decade or early next decade will be the best time for Kanto remakes.

Btw Gf had two years between RS and FrLg. Even if they were working with Emerald they could've done more (heck they were working on Pt and HgSs at the same time and actually HgSs could've come before Pt but they opted for Pt to come first. Chances are it's the same case for Emerald and Z...though if they do take a break chances are likely they'll go with X2Y2 (as having Kalos sequels being developed at the same time as the Hoenn remakes only to be released one year after the other would be difficult as a third version just requires editing of something already made so that takes less time. Btw XY were in development around Gen V so they probably had XY done awhile before they released it).

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    okay so i'm about 12 pages late to this thread aka skip what everyone said and pretend i'm the first post tehe 0:)

the kanto region is one i could replay over and over so i'd love to see it remade again. but with that said it's nothing i'm pushing for or hoping for as i know it's already been remade, though now even that remake is outdated. right now i'm more excited to see the third installment of x/y as i really enjoyed Kalos and the new pokemon in it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Is it even fair to compare B2W2 with the third versions? They're two games versus one game so of course they'll sell better. Emerald sold the best irc if you split RS and FrLf instead of putting the pairs sales as one of the GBA games. Platinum for sure beats B2W2 when they're split into two. And speaking of a dead console I read a rumor awhile ago that GF went with B2W2 instead of Grey to spice things up for the final games of Gen V as they feared the third version wouldn't sell well. Now Z will be on a console that isn't dying so there will be little need to make two versions of the same thing. Chances are a single Z will beat the sales of B2W2 tbh (heck Pt gets close).

As poorly as XY sold, that's unlikely. And, while "Z" wouldn't be on a dying handheld, it would be on Nintendo's worst selling handheld in years, instead.

I agree with Cerberus on the point that a Kanto remake is unlikely any time soon due to the Kanto starters being available in Kalos early on

Which, again, is in a completely different game in a completely different region with completely different characters. I have zero interest in Kalos, but I'd actually contemplate buying a new Gen 1 remake.

Btw Gf had two years between RS and FrLg. Even if they were working with Emerald they could've done more

Actually, more like 1 year and two months--RS came out in November 2002, while FRLG came out in January 2004. That's how rushed and slapped together those games were.

(Of course, I think the entire Third Generation, as a whole, was a giant missed opportunity. I can see why many people consider RSE/FRLG (along with DPP) to be a "Dork Age" for the franchise.)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • (Of course, I think the entire Third Generation, as a whole, was a giant missed opportunity. I can see why many people consider RSE/FRLG (along with DPP) to be a "Dork Age" for the franchise.)

Not that many anymore. The Hoenn supporters became more vocal lately. They started asking Masuda on Twitter about the remakes and started campaigning for it, which led to ORAS.

But the 3rd gen games are very unimpressive graphically speaking. There are people who praise them because they have high framerate, but that's because they don't even scratch the GBA's potential. So they're fast, but the effects looked ugly and some were reused from 2nd gen (Flamethrower, for example).

"I have zero interest in Kalos" you should give it a try, it's not too bad. Far from perfect, though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Not that many anymore. The Hoenn supporters became more vocal lately. They started asking Masuda on Twitter about the remakes and started campaigning for it, which led to ORAS.

I think a lot of that's because the 8 year olds of 2003 were the 19 year olds of 2014, aka. the age group that's most active online. I still think that people who started with either the GB/C games or DS games dwarf them in number.

But the 3rd gen games are very unimpressive graphically speaking. There are people who praise them because they have high framerate, but that's because they don't even scratch the GBA's potential. So they're fast, but the effects looked ugly and some were reused from 2nd gen (Flamethrower, for example).

Oh, I definitely agree. Just look at some of the hacks on this site to see what the GBA games were truly capable of. While GSC had lower quality graphics, they, at least, used the GB/C to its fullest potential. I think the entire Third Generation was rushed and poorly-planned to a degree.

"I have zero interest in Kalos" you should give it a try, it's not too bad. Far from perfect, though.

I'd need to own a 3DS, first, and none of the current games are enough to motivate me to spend money on one. :P

(Now, if someone attempted a hack demake on either the GB/C or GBA, I might try that. At least, then, I could just use VBA to play it.)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I think a lot of that's because the 8 year olds of 2003 were the 19 year olds of 2014, aka. the age group that's most active online. I still think that people who started with either the GB/C games or DS games dwarf them in number.

There are the traitors who started with 1st gen yet say they liked Hoenn. :P

Oh, I definitely agree. Just look at some of the hacks on this site to see what the GBA games were truly capable of. While GSC had lower quality graphics, they, at least, used the GB/C to its fullest potential. I think the entire Third Generation was rushed and poorly-planned to a degree.

Well, the emulator in Stadium 2 couldn't run GSC in color at triple speed. I think that accounts for something, doesn't it?

I'd need to own a 3DS, first, and none of the current games are enough to motivate me to spend money on one. :P

(Now, if someone attempted a hack demake on either the GB/C or GBA, I might try that. At least, then, I could just use VBA to play it.)

I've only really played Star Fox 64 3D and Fire Emblem Awakening besides Pokémon X. I own a few games for 3DS but it isn't worth to buy it just for Pokémon IMO.

You should check out Platinum Red and Platinum Blue in the hacks section.

Years
  • I think Gen V and III are the most rushed. GF should've waited to release V on the 3DS while they should've spread out Gen III to every year release like they dubbed them in America. Though it's interesting you guys are bashing Gen III's graphics...as those against Hoenn remakes said they were still modern and playable up to a year ago.

DP fans who started with them at 8 are going to be 16/17 this year so can we expect Sinnoh remakes soon after a wave of applause for DP? (also BN didn't you say earlier that those who started with RGBY seem to be fewer now in days in the fandom? So how can they drawf Gen III fans. Also (if you count II as a GB gen) the GB and DS had two gens so of course it'll have/had more.) Irc the second best selling Gen was IV so unless Unova, Kalos and/or possibly the Hoenn remakes or life got them out of the fandom there should be a sizable number.

Sadly those that started out with the remakes aren't that vocal about a re-remake it seems as one barely sees them being vocal about another Kanto remake except the oldest fans (Gen I fans). GF said that they want to do simple next Gen, so if they do remake Kanto again I expect it'll be similar to the originals and FrLg in terms of story...by that I mean the not so fantastical (they made RSE more so in ORAS.). Though if GF wants simple they should remake Kanto then instead of making more lame Kanto wannabes like Unova and the not so lame Kalos (both of which aren't simple).

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    There are the traitors who started with 1st gen yet say they liked Hoenn. :P

Oh, I've met a few of those. Traitors, indeed! {XD}

Well, the emulator in Stadium 2 couldn't run GSC in color at triple speed. I think that accounts for something, doesn't it?

*Looks it up*

In Pokémon Stadium 2, when Doduo mode is used with a Generation II game, the border changes to black and applies a sepia-tone effect to the game display. Stadium 2's Dodrio mode, when used with a Generation II game, changes the game display's tone to black-and-white.

I never unlocked Doduo Mode for GSC in Stadium 2, so I never knew this. {D:}

GSC were almost too much for the technology of their time. It would be a good 5 or more years until there was a Nintendo handheld with its own built-in clock, and yet, GSC implemented a full-blown Day/Night System, run completely off of a battery-powered clock in the cartridge (which had the nasty side-effect of making the games completely unplayable after 5 or so years). Same goes for the two regions; people complain about GSC Kanto being watered-down, but people forget that the GB/C carts could only hold so much data.

And, the animated sprites in Crystal were considered very good for the time, and many still consider them to be superior to the more generic animations of later Gens (especially Emerald).

You should check out Platinum Red and Platinum Blue in the hacks section.

Yeah, I've been following Platinum Red & Blue for a while now. I think I'll give it a try after more of the bugs have been worked out.

There's another hack that's sort of close to being a GB/C demake of XY called XY: Naturia. It has 6th Gen (as well as 3rd-5th Gen) Pokémon, later Gen moves, Serena/Calem as protagonists, and more. However, it has an extremely hard level curve and isn't made for casual play at all (although the creator has admitted this and is working on an easier version).

I think Gen V and III are the most rushed. GF should've waited to release V on the 3DS while they should've spread out Gen III to every year release like they dubbed them in America. Though it's interesting you guys are bashing Gen III's graphics...as those against Hoenn remakes said they were still modern and playable up to a year ago.

One of the biggest problems with Gen 3 was something that, admittedly, GF couldn't help--the GBA's short lifespan. While the GB/C had 11 years before its successor came out, and the DS had 7, the GBA only had 3, and RS were released when the handheld's lifespan was already halfway over. They barely had enough time for just RSE, let alone RSE + FRLG. Again, they should've saved FRLG for Gen 4 and spent more time on making RSE complete games, IMO.

(also BN didn't you say earlier that those who started with RGBY seem to be fewer now in days in the fandom? So how can they drawf Gen III fans. Also (if you count II as a GB gen) the GB and DS had two gens so of course it'll have/had more.)

With the online fandom, specifically, they are fewer in number. The original group of fans are all in their mid 20s or older now, out of college and focusing more on RL; they're less likely to spend time in fandom spaces than late teen/early twenty-somethings, aka. the people who grew up with Gen 3 and later.

Sadly those that started out with the remakes aren't that vocal about a re-remake it seems as one barely sees them being vocal about another Kanto remake except the oldest fans (Gen I fans). GF said that they want to do simple next Gen, so if they do remake Kanto again I expect it'll be similar to the originals and FrLg in terms of story...by that I mean the not so fantastical (they made RSE more so in ORAS.). Though if GF wants simple they should remake Kanto then instead of making more lame Kanto wannabes like Unova and the not so lame Kalos (both of which aren't simple).

As long as it's not a lazy copy/paste like FRLG was, I'm happy.

Years
  • Kanto even in the remakes of RG and GS was never given a facility like Contests, Pokethalon, musicals, or a movie studio. So if they remake FrLg I'll like for them to make Team Rocket's base a side game facility as the game corner is unlikely to return (and I would hate to see it empty as it'll no longer explain where the heck TR are getting their funding from when they're not stealing Pokémon (which is where Teams Magma, Aqua and Neo Plasma seem to have gotten theirs...while Galactic did both the casino and stealing thing plus had advertisements of supporting energy development while Flare had Lysander's business' backing them)).

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Kanto even in the remakes of RG and GS was never given a facility like Contests, Pokethalon, musicals, or a movie studio. So if they remake FrLg I'll like for them to make Team Rocket's base a side game facility as the game corner is unlikely to return (and I would hate to see it empty as it'll no longer explain where the heck TR are getting their funding from when they're not stealing Pokémon (which is where Teams Magma, Aqua and Neo Plasma seem to have gotten theirs...while Galactic did both the casino and stealing thing plus had advertisements of supporting energy development while Flare had Lysander's business' backing them)).

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I'd like to see the Game Corner turned into a video arcade, where you could play mini-games in exchange for tokens (which could then be exchanged for various prizes). As a nostalgic nod, the arcade could include ports of old spin-off games like Pokémon Pinball and the various games made for the Pokémon mini. Much cooler than a contest hall or battle facility, IMO.

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    I could see a remake of red and blue. D,P,Pl already have a DS platform, so it would be just a bit redundant until some kind of majorly updated system is released. They had deep stories, cut scenes and all the stuff a remake would try to add. Ruby and Sapphire still sat in that prehistoric area before the separation of physical moves and special moves. They also suffered from the limitations of the gameboy. FireRed and LeafGreen suffered from all the same limitations.

But at the same time, X and Y seem like celebrations of the first games in a certain way. They also already included the mega-evolutions of the first gen starters AND Mewtwo.

I'd personally enjoy an updated version of Red and Blue if they received similar treatment as Ruby and Sapphire. I didn't really enjoy FireRed and LeafGreen very much and I think a more personal and character driven story could reeeeally make gen 1 amazing. Something like Pokemon Origins: The Game...just let us go to Sinnoh in post game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I could see a remake of red and blue. D,P,Pl already have a DS platform, so it would be just a bit redundant until some kind of majorly updated system is released. They had deep stories, cut scenes and all the stuff a remake would try to add. Ruby and Sapphire still sat in that prehistoric area before the separation of physical moves and special moves. They also suffered from the limitations of the gameboy. FireRed and LeafGreen suffered from all the same limitations.

But at the same time, X and Y seem like celebrations of the first games in a certain way. They also already included the mega-evolutions of the first gen starters AND Mewtwo.

I'd personally enjoy an updated version of Red and Blue if they received similar treatment as Ruby and Sapphire. I didn't really enjoy FireRed and LeafGreen very much and I think a more personal and character driven story could reeeeally make gen 1 amazing. Something like Pokemon Origins: The Game...just let us go to Sinnoh in post game.

I was with you all the way up until the last sentence. I don't want to see Sinnoh (and, especially, a certain overrated blonde Champion from that region) anywhere near my beloved Gen 1, nosiree. They can wait until DP get their turn on the remake train.

A better solution would be to expand the Sevii Islands into a real region; add in the islands that were cut from FRLG, and give them a real backstory. We could even have a few gyms there, possibly with a developing League. (Sequel bait!)

It just annoys me that GF went through the trouble of creating this whole new region/area for FRLG, only to end up tossing it into the scrapper when it was done serving its "purpose" of giving you underleveled Gen 2 Pokémon that should've been in the Kanto Dex (and being a dumping ground for NPCs GF no longer wants anything to do with). Did you know that the Sevii Islands are the now the *only* region (however small) that haven't made any appearances on the DS or 3DS? Talk about forgotten!

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    I was with you all the way up until the last sentence. I don't want to see Sinnoh (and, especially, a certain overrated blonde Champion from that region) anywhere near my beloved Gen 1, nosiree. They can wait until DP get their turn on the remake train.

A better solution would be to expand the Sevii Islands into a real region; add in the islands that were cut from FRLG, and give them a real backstory. We could even have a few gyms there, possibly with a developing League. (Sequel bait!)

It just annoys me that GF went through the trouble of creating this whole new region/area for FRLG, only to end up tossing it into the scrapper when it was done serving its "purpose" of giving you underleveled Gen 2 Pokémon that should've been in the Kanto Dex (and being a dumping ground for NPCs GF no longer wants anything to do with). Did you know that the Sevii Islands are the now the *only* region (however small) that haven't made any appearances on the DS or 3DS? Talk about forgotten!

Eh, to be honest, I didn't care for the Sevii Islands...mainly for the reasons you discussed. They just felt so tacked on, empty and pointless. However...GF *could* redevelop them into the Orange Islands for those of us that always wanted them in the games regardless of how fillery they were.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Eh, to be honest, I didn't care for the Sevii Islands...mainly for the reasons you discussed. They just felt so tacked on, empty and pointless. However...GF *could* redevelop them into the Orange Islands for those of us that always wanted them in the games regardless of how fillery they were.

As much as I loved the Orange Islands anime back in the day, I don't think that's going to happen. The region wasn't created by GF, and while the games have borrowed things from the anime before, a few characters aren't anywhere equivalent to an entire region. Maybe, if it's a Yellow remake, specifically, it might happen, but realistically, I think the most the Orange Islands could get is a console spin-off in the vein of Colosseum/XD.

While the Sevii Islands were pretty underwhelming in FRLG, I think they can be salvaged in a new remake. They were obviously intended to be GF's answer to the Orange Islands (however poor), so why not give them a unique 4-badge League similar to the Orange League? And, they could put in a postgame Lugia/Bird Trio story as a nod to Pokémon 2000. And, maybe, we could finally get game counterparts of Professor Ivy and Tracey. A few of the sidequests down there could also be inspired by Orange Islands episodes (in the same way that parts of Yellow were inspired by Season 1 episodes). There's a lot they could do with those islands if they put in the effort.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Given it seems to be the trend to do massive cities in the games since BW, I wonder what city in Kanto might fulfil the role of Castelia/Lumiose/Mauville in a potential remake. It'd be either Saffron or Celadon, but it'd be interesting to see which one they'd pick.

Years
  • Given it seems to be the trend to do massive cities in the games since BW, I wonder what city in Kanto might fulfil the role of Castelia/Lumiose/Mauville in a potential remake. It'd be either Saffron or Celadon, but it'd be interesting to see which one they'd pick.
    I'm hoping for Saffron due to it based on Tokyo...but then again they didn't make Petalburg bigger even though that city is based on the biggest city in real like Kyushu irc. However Saffron has the same kind of central location in their region that Lumiose and Mauville do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I'm hoping for Saffron due to it based on Tokyo...but then again they didn't make Petalburg bigger even though that city is based on the biggest city in real like Kyushu irc. However Saffron has the same kind of central location in their region that Lumiose and Mauville do.

I hope Saffron gets expanded by a lot. Despite it being such a large city, there was never much to do there. Maybe, they could stick a contest hall or battle facility there? (I'd never use either, but I know a lot of others would.)

Years
  • Maybe they could put Unova's subway in Saffron post game? It does have a the Magnet Train in the Johto games so maybe have them be in the middle of adding a new line to Johto.

Also they could add some Super Contests (that is Sinnoh style) and have Daisy participate in them as her FrLg fame checker called her a "star cordinator" or something along those lines. Maybe make her into a not a modest and not so peppy but still kind contest idol. So while her little brother conquers the battling world she conquers the world of contests. Maybe they could give her a Mega. I imagine her with Vileplume( or Bellossom if they give Vileplume to Erika again) due to her flower name. Maybe she could have a team of 5. Vileplume for Beauty or cuteness, Tangrowth for tough, Venusaur (her starter?!) for coolness, Paras for smart, and ...Victribell for beauty or even more oddly...cuteness depending on what Vileplume is. If they're add Johto mons then Sunflora should replace Paras and be the beauty, Victribell Smart, and Vileplume cute, Venusaur cool. Tangrowth stays the same.

Back