• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Busted USB Port / Adapter Questions

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Simple, really. Well at least, it should be. My laptop was dropped once upon a time and the USB ports do not work. Instead of paying lots of money to repair a usb port or attempting to do it myself and screwing something else up I figured I'd just buy an adapter piece(probably a vga one) but I ran into a problem.

All the adapters I found for vga, hdmi etc are to male USBs, yet I need a female USB so I can plug my mouse into it. Does anyone know of where I might be able to get one? Online or otherwise. Failing that, I could get an additional adapter that lets me plug a male usb into a male usb, but I wanted to confirm that an adapter piece would run off an adapter piece before I sunk some money into it. Or even that a VGA/HDMI adapter into a usb would work for a mouse. To be clear, my set up would be: VGA/HDMI to male USB > Female to Female USB Adapter > Male USB mouse. I'm also open to any other suggestions that might be easier for me to be able to use a mouse with my laptop. I don't have a PCMCIA port so that's out of the potential options.

Any help would be much appreciated~

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • You cannot run USB through a display connection – the boards use separate interfaces and if you did get one to use USB it'd only be for USB monitors. If it's with a laptop you're unfortunately out of luck (though you can always use a hub with your non-broken ports), but if it's a desktop regardless of where the broken ports are (front or back) if you have a spare PCI or PCIe slot on your motherboard you can buy a USB expansion card, like this or this.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    You cannot run USB through a display connection – the boards use separate interfaces and if you did get one to use USB it'd only be for USB monitors. If it's with a laptop you're unfortunately out of luck (though you can always use a hub with your non-broken ports), but if it's a desktop regardless of where the broken ports are (front or back) if you have a spare PCI or PCIe slot on your motherboard you can buy a USB expansion card, like this or this.

Yeah, that's what I was figuring! And nah, all the ports are busted :( My laptop isn't high end by any means and so I wouldn't want to sink money into repairing it--I'd rather just put money towards a new one and then use this one as a means to practice such a repair myself. Thanks.

Although one port does seem to work for my printer, yet not my mouse. So maybe a hub would work and then I could use my mouse from there :D Wishful thinking I suppose. I'm going to mess around with it a little bit and come back with some more questions probably.

Years
  • If your USB ports are failing, I would not suggest you use a hub on the one that barely works. Using a hub would just give you even lower power than to what's already there, which in turn would probably not be enough for you to power your devices.

Back