• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add more types in the future?

GeraldTheTheroiest

Pokemon Theroiest
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 27, 2015
With Fairy types being added in gen 6 would you guys like to see more types added? Since Generation 1 only 3 new types have been introduced (Dark and steel in 2, and Fairy in 6)I myself would like to see plasma types added(weird but ya know)

Kippla

★ Pokemon Master ★
Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 4, 2013
Maybe, it depends. I don't really think they need more types because at this point, every type is balanced out with weaknesses and strengths. They'd need a lot more types to balance it out again with new types, and even then it would probably screw a lot of people up. But like I said, it depends. Are new types needed?

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
I think we've got enough new types, it'd just be cooler to see some more interesting dual-typings. Imagine opposite types being stuck together (Fire/Water, Grass/Fire, Dark/Fairy, etc.)? That would be really cool!

I think the only dual-type I never want to see again is Fire/Fighting...how they got away with THREE starters like that I'll never know!

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Yeah I agree. There is no need for another type in Pokemon. Like Kippla said, there would be a lot more types to balance it out. If there are more types that means there would be fewer pokemon for each type.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Given they only added in Fairy type primarily to balance the system again, I think that's be the same grounds for a new typing (and let's not forget there are other ways to balance the typing system besides adding in a new typing).

Years
I believe that more new typings will be introduced eventually, but given that we just had a new typing in over 10 years, I doubt we'll have anything in the future. Of course my guess is as good as any others'.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If they do decide to create a new type at some point in the future, I'd really like it to be alien. Alien-type could be given to all Pokémon who are considered to be from outer-space, such as Dialga, Palkia, Clefairy, Deoxys, Solrock, Lunatone, Jirachi, Mew (possibly), and so on. It would be pretty cool to see plastic-type, too, and maybe even sound.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
Light. That's the only one I want. Fairy is more for mythical Pokemon. (Lightbulb Pokemon anyone?)

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
I don't really think we need another type. If there was one more type then the competitive world and the pokemon world would be thrown completely off balance. So no new types for Kanea.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
I'd say no. I think the fairy addition is a good addition and long overdue, but I don't see the need for any other additions.

Years
I think I'm perfectly fine with the amount of types that we have and their balance, so I don't think we'd need any more types in the future. And we've still got a good chunk of dual-type possibilities that haven't even been touched yet, so I'd like to see them exhaust those before adding a new type again.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I think I'm good with the new types. I don't want to see anymore for a long time. Like Brendino, I would like to see them exhaust a lot of other type combinations first. Like more grass types, because you can never have enough grass types.

Years
I think I'm perfectly fine with the amount of types that we have and their balance, so I don't think we'd need any more types in the future. And we've still got a good chunk of dual-type possibilities that haven't even been touched yet, so I'd like to see them exhaust those before adding a new type again.

Brendan basically nailed this one, the current number of types are enough for now because not only did it balance out Dragon-types, but Poison as well because they finally have a new advantage. I don't think they should add a new type unless if something has to get balanced, what I want to see in the future is more new type combinations because there's several that are still unused right now.

Years
I don't see new types coming out unless they remake the entire way the system works. I think we'll see triple types before we see a new type, if we see either. It might seem like they've opened the door, but to me it seems more like there is even less need to add new types now, like they wedged open a small space and shoved a new type into it.

Yukari

NO, Definitely not. They MIGHT add a new type but I really hope they don't add a new type. I'm happy with what they have now and I don't want any more.

EB

Re: World
Years
I came into this thread content with the robust chart we have already, but the more I think about it, the more eager I become to see a whole slew of new types. This may just be my childlike eagerness talking... although when was it that humans managed to classify all forms of life into 18 distinct phyla?

I feel it'd seem more realistic if they added more types and would also give more creative opportunities to the art/game designers. However, even if they did add new types, there'd be many commercial drawbacks. Even if the designers were unanimously open to big change, their buyers won't be.

Back down to earth I come. ;o

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Maybe one or two more. Any more types than 20 would be overkill I think. We probably won't see another type until at least the 10th gen though. Gamefreak needs to be careful about what they introduce and when they introduce it because we're rapidly nearing the point where the amount of types could become unnecessarily overwhelming.

20 sounds like a wonderfully round number to me.

It would be interesting if we got a Tech or Artificial type that covers man made pokemon like Porygon. Now that we're moving towards a time when cars will drive themselves and delivery drones will fly through the sky delivering packages (Amazon prime air....look it up) it would be interesting to see similar developments in the pokemon world.

They built porygon and its evolutions and then called it a day? Where's the ambition in that?

Last edited:

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Like others have already said, GameFreak only introduces new types to balance out any OPness occurring, and so really unless they have a change of heart or we see some kind of unfair balance I don't see them placing anymore types actually.

Years
I would actually like to see a few more in the future, like in distant generations, however i doubt game freak will go down that route.. but you never know :P
Also, like others have stated, more interesting dual types would be better i think, than new types

Back