• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you do with your shinies?

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I leave them in the PC to rot. And occasionally brag about them.

The shinies I get are usually Pokemon I don't really care for (except that one Scyther), and they're just...not that good. I still feel excited when I get them, but I wish that I got more Pokemon I actually like!

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I box them with my legendaries and other special one-time Pokémon. Right now the only shinies I have are a Grimer caught in the Fiery Path in Emerald, and a shiny Leafeon that's part of my SoulSilver team. The Grimer collects dust while Leafeon is level 78 and an active party member, so I guess it all depends on whether the Pokémon is useful or not.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
With my random shinies, I usually save them to send to another game to be a part of my team there. As for my RNG'd shinies, I swear I'll get around to EVing them all someday... :(

Years
I box them. I have one I found in the wild: my shiny Throh, and I have numerous starters that are shiny, but I traded to get those. I battle with those.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
It depends on the shiny. Like a lot of you, I leave most of them sitting in my box (and occasionally take a few minutes to look through all of them and pat myself on the back). I don't like to trade shinies caught on my own OT, so they just stay there. Sometimes, if I like the shiny, I'll EV train it and add it to my usable group of Pokémon. There are also a lot of shinies that I would like to EV train, but haven't gotten around to training, and I don't generally feel like taking them out of my PC until I'm ready to EV train them.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I keep all shinies that I catch in a saved PC box for them. I don't ever trade them nor do I train/evolve them. I just keep them the way I got them, I think of them as trophies in a way haha...

Years
I just caught my first Shiny today! She's a Poliwag and I think I'll add her to my party. Which should I evolve her into Poliwrath or Politoed? I can't decide!

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I put them in their own box, unimaginatively labeled "Shiny".

The only one I used for any length of time in-game was my first - a Zubat in Leaf Green. It was a mainstay in my party all through the game, mostly as a Golbat, then I finally got to evolve it to a Crobat after I got the National Dex, and found that I really didn't like the Crobat shiny sprite much. Then I caught a bunch of shinies I wasn't much interested in anyway (Doduo, Tentacool, Spoink, Voltorb...). Some of them were cool shinies, but they weren't pokemon I actually use much, so I started just putting them away. That then became my habit, and since then, that's all I do. The only one I've even had in my party for any time since was a Swadloon I caught in Black, just because I wanted to evolve it to a Leavanny. Since it's a happiness evolution, I didn't actually use it at all - I just carried it around in my team and got it massages and such until it was happy enough, then fed it a rare candy and evolved it, then put it in the Shiny box.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
I usually leave them in their PC box. Sometimes, I'll train them, like my shiny Red Gyarados, who's just an absolute beast, but my shiny Lanturn gets the box.

Arrow

I'd like to be a tree :3
Years
If it's a useless Pokemon, boxed. If it's handy, then I could consider using it. I use the Red Gyrados from the Lake of Rage but my shiny Luvdisc has been rotting in my PC.

braixen

the supreme meme
Years
i keep them in my pc box, or train them how i want them to be and then use them to help train my other pokemon or use them in in-game battles.

Years
The few shiny Pokemon I've found haven't been all that great, so I've mostly just left them sitting in the PC like quite a few others. I did try and put a lot of effort into my shiny Ducklett/Swanna in White 2, but I already had much better Water and Flying options on my team, so I just gave up on it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 12, 2013
All I've got is a shiny FS Ditto, which I use for IV breeding until a superior offspring comes along. Hatched a 3IV shiny Charmander which is periodically a member of my team and is currently lv 65 Charizard, tough to use her though when my other level 60+ Charizard has 6IV's and is EV trained... I thought about using a reset bag and EV training my shiny, but I like her how she is and I don't use her competitively. Looks awesome with the Y mega evolution stone.
If I hatched a decent IV/natured shiny Tyrunt it'd be the happiest moment of my Pokemon 'career'.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
Years
Well, the only shiny that I've run into that was one I wasn't trying for was a Wingull, I tried to use that one in my team but I really just couldn't find a spot for her, so she stays in the PC mostly.

All the other shinies I have are ones I've bred because I want them on my team, so those I'm currently levelling up and using in gameplay.

Years
I treat my shinies like I treat my legendaries: I just box them and never touch them. I just see them as too valuable to do anything with them and I'm afraid that I might mess them up by training (even though you can delete EVs so that isn't the most important factor) or regret evolving them because that can't be reversed.

Back