• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sky Battling

Years
I was never really big for Sky Battles myself. Again, the limitation of Pokémon and even moves you can't use are what I dislike them for. When you don't really know what to expect and you get thrown a curveball, that's what i'm not comfortable with.

Years
Throughout the entire game, I've probably only actually participated in a couple sky battles, mainly because a flying type Pokemon is never usually in my party at any given time. Since I'm too lazy to go back to the nearest town to exchange them, I've never bothered with them \: Though I would have liked to do more considering it often times gives you a nice experience boost.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I felt they were ok, although i dont think we needed a new battle type to begin with. They are quite different to regular battles, but making up a whole system for just a few select pokemon seems kinda unnecessary, at least to me.
Its like introducing lets say Underwater Battles for Water types only. Sure it would look cool, but is it worth it??

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
Honestly, I didn't notice much difference between them and "normal" battles. Still went out of my way to hunt them down for the extra experience just for my flying types, but battle-wise they didn't feel much different. Though I had a Vivillon and Charizard X from the beginning of the game, both of which I adored using, so I may have been a tad biased.

Definitely not incorporated into the story, but at least these gave you a little extra experience if you had at least one flying pokemon to use Fly. I imagine everyone does.. I can't say how many of those are 'battle ready' and kept in the party, but I have always kept mine as an active party member. Just made travel easier.
I'm honestly surprised at how many people don't have at least one flying type at the ready.. I thought that was more common than this, lol.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Sky battles aren't much different, besides looking pretty. I still enjoyed them though.

I also like how every eligible Sky Battle Pokemon was animated to be flying in the air, even if their sprites were grounded last gen. xD

AshtheIVth

I want Kingdom Hearts 3 now!!
Years
+1

The idea was good, but it wasn't at all incorporated into the story. You could easily play a full runthrough without encountering them once.

Did it, my first run through of X, i saved the world, beat the E4, and the after stories w/o ever knowing of sky battles, finally ran into one while looking for all items, and was like what is this? But i demolished it with my rayquaza lol. On that note, I like the sky battles, it is a bit annoying with the small selection but if we could make water battles, fire battles, etc, then i think it would be more fun.

Years
It looked epic from trailers but.. that was the extent of it ahah. I tried out one or two sky battles but usually only had one Pokemon at most eligible for them. Recall a time when I even lost because I didn't realize what I had wasn't the strongest 'mon.

Very forgettable feature that I can't see myself utilizing much. gimme experience for all my Pokemon, not just a select few!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I missed a lot of these guys. There was one way out on that Mamoswine route that I never saw in my X playthrough, but randomly found in Y. And some of the choices for Pokemon for those battles were a bit odd. I was pretty surprised when one of them out in the Ice Path area sent out a Cryogonal.

Back