• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on my new deck

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
Years
Pkmn(14):
x1 Ho-Oh EX
4-2-4 Garchomp
x1 Tynamo
x1 Eel
x1 Bouffalant

I/Su/St(23):
x4 PlusPower
x3 Catcher
x2 RareCandy
x2 Energy Search
x3 Switch
x2 UltraBall
x2 SuperScoopUp
x2 Juniper
x2 Cheren
x1 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy(23):
x2 Prism
x5 Water
x5 Fighting
x3 Lightning
x2 Fire
x2 Dark
x2 Grass
x2 Metal

The main idea of this deck is to "stick and move" with Ho-Oh. First getting it in your discard, then flipping it into your bench fully loaded with 3 energies, then adding another energy for extra damage, and hopefully using eel to add even more. Once Ho-Oh is on the field, using Super Scoop would give a chance to bring it back to your hand, so you can use an Ultra Ball or Juniper to send it back to discard and do it all over again. Garchomp is there to not only hold off as much pokemon as possible, but also get Ho-Oh in the discard with Dragonblade.

Cons: If Ho-Oh is prized, this strategy is solely based on coin flip, decking out is much quicker, and benching out is easier.

Last edited:

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
Years
As a fun deck idea, it seems neat.

As a competitive deck it lacks consistency; and without Altaria, Garchomp isn't going to hit for powerhouse attacks. A 1-1 Eel line is also far too inconsistent for what it's there for, and with catcher far too easy to KO. Running so many energy without a variety of pokemon and only 1 Ho-Oh with only a Bouffalant and dragons which everyone runs a counter to is a bad idea in competitive play.

I will say that given the nature of the card, Ho-Oh-EX really needs to run in a 6 corners-style build to operate effectively since the card itself isn't that good because it counts on the deck being based around it rather than working around a deck.

I would also say that due to the nature of Ho-Oh relative to other EX's, it isn't beneficial to run any more than 5 energy types at max, 4 types for more consistency and varied strategy. If it gets the revival, it will have 3 energy automatically if done correctly for an attack of 80, and with 1 other basic from hand it can do 100. Average EX's have 170-180HP, and most EX's are built to 2-shot and be 2-shotted. If you figure that the first attack does 80-100, and the second does 100-120, you pretty much KO any EX.

But on the other hand Ho-Oh is one of the more brittle HP EX's at 160, and even without weakness It's fairly simple to KO without an Eviolite.

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
Years
It did seem better in theory than in practice. I personally don't like to play competitively anymore, so I try to make these interesting decks. But, I was thinking that most decks will run EXs, which is why I have the plus powers in there for. I have actually gotten Eel setup pretty quickly, so the play is to flip Ho-Oh on the field, get 3 energies (other than electric) then use Dynomotor, then attach another energy to Ho-Oh, switch it with active (assuming that it's Garchomp), then add the plus plowers I have. Which could do 130-160. But that's if everything works out perfectly. Anyways, I still like this idea and I'll play around with it a little more to make it more consistent. Then update the thread. Thanks for your thoughts.

Back