• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Dance Doredia, dance! - Sprite/Animation Discussion

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    424.gif

Look at this Ambipom. It's like it's jamming to it's own beat. I wet myself when I saw this animation.

516.gif

This one is just lol. You should watch it when it KOs its opponent. It looks like it's waving that fainted pokemon goodbye.

As for full body animation, I definitely like it. It feels more life-like then the static crap in the previous games.

Rawrinism

Shandera'd
    Years
  • 182.gif

I just love Bellossom's animation! It's so adorable with it's little dance. :3

175.gif

So cute when it's trying to fly! x3

465.gif

Tangrowth looks pretty funny when it shakes it's hips. :p

463.gif

Oh yeah! It's dancing like the pros. ;)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    175.gif

So cute when it's trying to fly! x3

Aww, adorable! A lot of the older animations have been given a lot more personality in B/W, which is great. I just need to get over my issue of the animations not having the greatest quality since that can't be changed ;;.

625.gif

looks like he's teabagging :/

Uhhh not sure that's entirely appropriate. >____>;

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I was looking over at the animated place thingy. :x
    And seeing that Togepi one a few posts up made me <3333 So I looked for the other two.

176.gif

OH MAI DAYZZZZ it dances. Thread should be re-named Dance Togetic Dance!
    I mean seriously though, its shaking those hips!

Togekiss is boring, but cute :3
    468.gif

Wobbuffet

Patient pokemon
    Years
  • One thing i dont like about the B\W sprites

Im not directly complaining about the sprites but what kinda irks me is that some pokemon have theese awesome, completely new sprites, yet some pokemon are pretty much the same sprite from d\p just with some added movement. i mean even I the GREAT WOBBUFFET am jus ta d\p sprite wobbeling back and forth, cmon nintendo, make me look like in Battle revolution and make me stand in my right position and SALITE. other than that the sprites are awesome

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Im not directly complaining about the sprites but what kinda irks me is that some pokemon have theese awesome, completely new sprites, yet some pokemon are pretty much the same sprite from d\p just with some added movement. i mean even I the GREAT WOBBUFFET am jus ta d\p sprite wobbeling back and forth, cmon nintendo, make me look like in Battle revolution and make me stand in my right position and SALITE. other than that the sprites are awesome

Then why is it your avatar?

Merged with our sprites discussion thread.~

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Although I like the animations for almost every pokemon, I don't like how the pixels shift so much when the move :/ It is really distracting and makes me think about the animations negatively :(

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Hm, the backsprites could be a little less pixel-y, but yeah, that minor issue aside, I absolutely love the animated sprites. Definitely my most favorite addition in Black and White, and it's such a huge improvement over those awful 2-frame animations from Emerald, Platinum, and HGSS.

Going through the Battle Subway's Super Single Line is the best way to experience some of these sprites firsthand, by the way.

King Gumball

Years
  • Hm, the backsprites could be a little less pixel-y, but yeah, that minor issue aside, I absolutely love the animated sprites. Definitely my most favorite addition in Black and White, and it's such a huge improvement over those awful 2-frame animations from Emerald, Platinum, and HGSS.

Yeah they are definitely pretty sexy, but yeah I just find the pixels far too distracting D: They are still cool to watch, but is there an option to turn the animations off? There usually is, because they do go for a long time XD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Hopefully they will fix that problem in the the third version :)
    One of my favorites is the sprite for Raikou as it was one of the first that I saw :)

Fushigidane-Chan

Years

• Yeah they are definitely pretty sexy, but yeah I just find the pixels far too distracting D: They are still cool to watch, but is there an option to turn the animations off? There usually is, because they do go for a long time XD

You can turn off animations, but they only disable the attack animations, not the Pokemon animations, I'm afraid.

Have you played the game yet? I used to find the pixels really distracting when I looked at screenshots, but you don't really notice as much when playing the game, for some reason. XD;;

King Gumball

Years
  • You can turn off animations, but they only disable the attack animations, not the Pokemon animations, I'm afraid.

Have you played the game yet? I used to find the pixels really distracting when I looked at screenshots, but you don't really notice as much when playing the game, for some reason. XD;;

Aww that sucks DX

Nah I haven't played yet, I will probably, hopefully get used to them when I play though.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

Aww that sucks DX

Nah I haven't played yet, I will probably, hopefully get used to them when I play though.

Indeed, what Fushigidane-Chan said happened to me as well. When the screenshots of the game first came out, the pixels for the back sprites looked absolutely horrendous... they still do. Once you start playing the game though, you tend to forget about it. Granted, if you keep paying attention to it, there's a good chance it'll continue to bother you. :P

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I love these! What I especially like is how they have full body back animations too - not just the front ones for your opponents. I hate just seeing those static heads of the Pokemon I'm using. x.x

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay after playing through, the most amusing animation was by far either Palpitoad or Stunfisk. One, because Palpitoad makes a stupid face you can't help laughing at, while Stunfisk... it giggles at you almost. It's very amusing. XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

New Pokémon sprites were drawn based on an order of priority for what needed new sprites the most.

Nearly every Hoenn Pokémon was redrawn because they'd had the same sprites since D/P came out, then many Kanto Pokémon had new sprites for whatever reason, while most Johto and Shinnoh Pokémon were not given completely new sprites because they'd both recently had the most work given to their sprites drawn in Platinum and HG/SS.

The remaining time that they could spare was spent giving any Pokémon a new sprite if they currently had none that were suitable for animating (e.g Weavile).

Back