• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[RMVX] Pokémon: Ancient Series

If given more info, does this sound like something you would play?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Time Shift Dialga

Son of a Pachizel!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 1, 2011
Pokémon: Ancient

Before I say anything else, this is my first attempt at a Pokémon game and have next-to-no scripting and spriting knowledge, I can edit both - but neither can come from scratch, so I'm hunting for an ACTIVE team.
Okay, so now that's out the way, let's introduce the game!

Plot:
Spoiler:

Mid-game (WARNING - SPOILERS, SKIP IF DESIRED):
Spoiler:

PLOT TO BE CONTINUED

Featured Feature ( xD ):
Spoiler:

Basically what I need it graphic people and scripters - mapping is very much my skill and so, unless I can't continue for a while for whatever reason I'll be wanting some reserve mappers.

Before I even think of adding more I want to know if people would play this.

Also, the PALKIA-based version features pre-ice age and Dialga at the Jurassic period.

Last edited:

Wind Gale

Lost With the Wind
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
I know you said you were going to add more infromation but I think you should add a list of features you are going to add. I know when I look at a post I look at the features and if they are interesting I will continue to read it. I do like how you didn't just focus on one Pokemon like other games. By focusing on Pokemon like Lugia and Dialga and the others it makes the game alot more interesting.

Time Shift Dialga

Son of a Pachizel!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 1, 2011
I know you said you were going to add more infromation but I think you should add a list of features you are going to add. I know when I look at a post I look at the features and if they are interesting I will continue to read it. I do like how you didn't just focus on one Pokemon like other games. By focusing on Pokemon like Lugia and Dialga and the others it makes the game alot more interesting.

I would add a list of features IF I knew what I wanted out of this.
Unfortunately I don't x_x

I plan to do 'Time jumps' though - the idea is that some maps will connect to other maps in a separate section allowing different Pokemon to be caught and a new style of game play - I'm not doing that for all maps though - only applicable ones.

I'm not sure of anything else at the minute thoug :/

Wind Gale

Lost With the Wind
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
That is a good idea right there. It would definetly add to the games uniqueness.

Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2009
I am a firm believer that a game cannot be made until it has been completely thought out.

Work on it.

I'd suggest this for a start:

When you write the story down, use at least 500 words.

Explain how it works. For example: If Celebi or Dialga is causing the time travel, how does it work:

A: You must have one or the other in your party
B: You have a device that summons them for the sole purpose of time travel
C: They appear at set points during the game and send you back/forward for story purposes
D: All/a mix of the above.

Simply saying 'time travel' doesn't cut it.

Great idea, not make it better!

As a shameless plug, I feel that I have an excellent story on my thread:
"Pokemon Legends: Regigigas"

Just scroll down a bit.

I could use some critiques, but none have given me any.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
A nice feature that would exploit the time travel aspect (assuming one can jump between the two or more time periods at will) is to have paths that are blocked in one time but are clear in another.

For example, in the Present you encounter a gorge which you cannot get past (no one's been kind enough to set up a bridge). You jump back to the Ice Age, where the gorge is now a somewhat different shape and filled with a glacier (complete with slippery tiles). However, there's almost nothing beyond the gorge in the Ice Age, but you can jump back to the Present, arrive on the other side of the gorge and continue on a path that has since been created there.

I'd imagine some adaptation of the Dive mechanic would be best to achieve this. Since it'd be unwieldy to allow unrestricted time travel (you'd have to make the whole region twice, for one), perhaps you should claim that there are only certain places that are temporally unstable, and that instability is what allows your Time Rod (or whatever time-travelling device you have) to work and teleport you between the two times.

Or just use portals, which is a lot easier (and rather less impressive than Time Diving)...

I wouldn't mind credit if this post inspires you (or anyone else).

xShigure

Pokémon Bushido Director
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 27, 2010
I'd imagine some adaptation of the Dive mechanic would be best to achieve this.

Maruno raises a good point. Even in a game other that Pokemon such a thing as time slipping to get past obstacles is very interesting.

Using the dive mechanic would actually be perfect for the situation. With a few tweaks here and there it could work out to be an enjoyable scene (the time slipping)

Time Shift Dialga

Son of a Pachizel!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 1, 2011
Okay, for now, I'm not doing this.
I've too much work on my hands at the minute and can't really handle much else than eventing and mapping.

Please don't despair though - I'll bring this back (probably) sometime next year. Thanks for your understanding.

I'd like to also thank you for your helpful comments, I promise that you will NOT be disappointed!

Back