• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Guide To Fast X&Y EV Training & Leveling.

Was This Guide Helpful?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 96.3%
  • No...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Don't Know?

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
Guide To Ultra Fast X&Y EV Training & Effortless Max Leveling

last update: 02/26/2014

Before I start, I just want to point out that I did not come up with or discover the methods explained in these guides. So I don't want to take the credit for them as they are formed through my accumulated knowledge from various information I found throughout the internet and various forums over the past few months since X&Y's release. So thank you to those who may have originally discovered, posted, and inspired the following guides.

These four guides will teach you how to Fully EV Train any Pokemon in under 5-10 minutes worth of battles, and without the use of Vitamins or tedious boring Super Training, and I'll also teach you Effortless Max Leveling Up without a single battle.
All of this without the confusion as found in similar guides on the internet and in a few simple and easy to follow steps.

- Please Note: This is not an IV/Breeding Guide.

------

HOW TO FULLY EV TRAIN YOUR POKEMON IN UNDER 20 MINUTES WITH X&Y (For Beginners):

Step 1. First and foremost, before you start, you will had to already to beaten the game, as you will require access to the Battle Maison in which you will have to or should have already acquired the Six Power Items: Anklet, Band, Belt, Bracer, Lens, & Weight from the Battle Maison Shop.

Step 2. Put a Pokemon that knows the move "Sweet Scent" in your party.
- Don't have one? Easiest is to catch an oddish on Route 6. Why do you need Sweet Scent? With Sweet Scent you can trigger a Horde Battle at will, similar to Honey, except you have unlimited uses. Horde battling is a MUST for this guide.

Step 3. Have a Pokemon with Pokerus in your party.
- Don't have Pokerus? Check the Trade Section for people offering it or make a post in the quick trade section asking for it, many friendly users are giving it away for free.
- Couldn't get Pokerus? Then it's ok, this guide will still work for you, however, Pokerus will speed things up in half however.

Step 4.
Put the Pokemon you want to EV Train in the adjacent party slot next to the Pokemon with Pokerus if it doesn't already have it.
- This Pokemon will need to contract Pokerus, which is very easy and automatic when you follow the next steps.

Step 5. Have a high Level Pokemon that knows a Multi-Target move with 100% Accuracy such as Surf or Dazzling Gleam as the head of your party as they will be the one to do all the battling for you.

Step 6. Needless to say, your Sweet Scenter, Pokerus Spreader, and/or Multi-Targeter must already be fully EV Trained or need to be Pokemon you don't care about otherwise they will accumulate the same EV points as the Pokemon you're training..
- I shouldn't have to say this, but if the Pokemon you want to EV train is high level, knows a multi-target move, happens to already have Pokerus, and/or is your sweet scenter... needless to say, you can ignore the redundant steps above.

Step 7. Once you are all prepped and ready, you will need to fly to one of the following locations depending on what stat you want to EV Train, Attach the appropriate Power Item onto the Pokemon you want to EV Train, Set your lower screen to the Super Training mode if you want to monitor the EV Spectrum of Pokemon you are EV Training (optional), Make sure EXP Share is turned on, Step into the tall grass/flowers/cave and Initiate a Horde Battle by using Sweet Scent (use it the same way as you use HM Fly):

To Train HP:

Spoiler:

To Train Attack:

Spoiler:

To Train Special Attack:

Spoiler:

To Train Defense:

Spoiler:

To Train Special Defense:

Spoiler:

To Train Speed:

Spoiler:

*if you don't have Pokerus, please add 5 extra horde battles to each stat (besides the last)

Step 8. Repeat step 7 with the other EV Stat you want to train.
- Make sure to remember to change the held Power Item.

Step 9. Swap the held Power Item for the final EVs you need to train and just defeat 1 more horde of the 2nd Stat you trained.
- Even though this horde doesn't give any EV points to the final 3rd stat, the held Power Item will still reward you with points, or easier, you can punch a Medium or Large Bag in Super Training, or use a Vitamin of the respective Stat.

Step 10. Using Super Training, you should see that you now have a Fully Trained Pokemon as it's 2 main EV Stats are now touching the borders of the EV Spectrum, and also will see the flashing Muscle Arms symbol which clicking it will give you the message: "Wow! Your Pokemon is now fully trained! Congrats Trainer!"

In Conclusion:
If all done correctly, you should now have a Fully EV Trained Pokemon in Under 20 minutes including setup/travel time (less than 5-10 minutes of actual battle time!!!).

------

HOW TO FULLY EV TRAIN YOUR POKEMON IN UNDER 10 MINUTES WITH X&Y (For Experts):

Spoiler:

------

...And if this above method is STILL too slow for you:
- Please note, the following requires $$$ to stock up on expensive supplies.

HOW TO FULLY EV TRAIN YOUR POKEMON IN UNDER 5 MINUTES WITH X&Y (For Wealthy Bastards Experts):
Spoiler:

------

Q: What If My Pokemon Already Has Max EVs and/or Has Undesirable EVs?
Spoiler:

Q: How Is This Possible?

Spoiler:

Q: What If I Don't Want To Train Max 252 EV Points Per Stat?
Spoiler:

Q: Aren't There Other Locations With Hordes And Pokemon That Give More Points?

Spoiler:

------

HOW TO FULLY LEVEL UP YOUR POKEMON EFFORTLESSLY IN X&Y:

Step 1. It is Highly recommended to Evolve and EV Train first before using the guide above to Speed things up here, but is not necessary. Also make sure you have some Poke-Dollars to spend.

Step 2. Fly to Route 7 and Deposit the Pokemon (can do Two at once) you want to level up into the Day Care.

Step 3. If you Initially Leveled up (Evolved & EV Trained first), this will save you lots of Poke-Dollars as the daycare charges $100 Poke-Dollars for each level gained.
- For example a level 1 to 100 raised Pokemon will cost a grand total of $10,100 to take back from the Day Care, but if your Pokemon was already Level 50 prior to depositing into the Day Care and it raised to 100, it will just cost $5,100 to take back.

Step 4.
I can't stress enough!!! EVOLVE your Pokemon to the evolution stage you want before you proceed with the following steps!!! (or read below)

Step 5.
Fly to Lumiose City-Center, Get on your Bicycle and go to the Path that circles the Prism Tower.

Step 6.
Using a Dime or Piece of Paper.. Carefully wedge it under your DS/3DS' Thumbstick so that it causes your Trainer to automatically begin to cycle around the Prism Tower.

Step 7.
MAKE SURE YOUR DS/3DS IS PLUGGED IN!!!

Step 8. Go Outside, Do Something Else, or What I recommend: Go To Bed (or Go To Work, approximately 6-8 hours is needed)

Step 9. When you have returned in Approximately 6-8 hours, Fly back to the Daycare and Voilà! you should now have a Fully Leveled 100 (or really close) Pokemon waiting for you
20.%20boogie.gif
!

Step 10. If your Pokemon isn't quite level 100 but instead within the 90s, I recommend using Rare Candies for these last few levels (See Q&A Below).

I Highly recommended the above guide due to the fact that it requires virtually no effort on your part, plus as a great bonus, there is no Tedious, Repetitive, and BORING task of defeating the Elite Four or Battle Restaurants over and over and over hours on end.
- However I do recommend battling if you are in need of cash, as doing these repetitive battles will gain you prize money especially if you wear the Amulet Coin and use the Prize Money O-Power and recommend battling if you are in a rush to level up more than 2 Pokemon at a time.

In addition, If you're not short on cash and want to save some time, you could bypass the need to Initially Evolve your Pokemon (step 4). To do this, you will need to deposit your Pokemon into the Day Care and disregard Step 8 as instead you will need to check in on your Pokemon every couple of hours. For example, A Pokemon under Level 20 should grow to approximately Level 40 to 60 in approximately 2-3 hours in the daycare, which is enough to Evolve virtually any Pokemon.

Once they have reached their evolutionary level, take them out of the day care and then the quickest way to evolve them at this point is to give them 1-2 Rare Candies (see Q&A below). Lastly, once they have evolved to the stage you desire, deposit them back into the daycare and resume Step 8.

AND I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH: You cannot go away from your DS/3DS (or forget) when an unevolved Pokemon is in the Daycare!! If you do, you may risk returning to find a Level 100 Unevolved Pokemon who cannot evolve no matter how many Rare Candies you feed them thus wasting many hours of leveling up.

Q: What If My Pokemon Has Eggmoves, Won't They Lose Them In The Day Care?
Spoiler:

Q: What If I Don't Have Heart Scales or I Don't Want To Farm Them From Pokemon or Rocks?
Spoiler:

Q. Game Link? Pokemon-GL.com? What's That?
Spoiler:

Q: What If I Don't Have or I Am Short On Pokemiles?
Spoiler:

-----

I hope these guides will help you in your future Pokemon X&Y Adventures and Battles!

Happy Training!

-----

Again, I don't take credit for either of these methods and thank you again to those of you whom may have been the discoverers, sources, and inspiration of my accumulated knowledge in creation of these guides.

If you see any mistakes or important information missing, please let me know immediately!

Like this post? Leave a like or vote above :D

Last edited:
Years
Yes, which is why I made mention to... or nm xD I totally forgot to mention evolution when I mentioned the reset bags :P Adding update now :D!

I didn't wanna come off like one of those ppl but I read it all the time on the internet and your guide seemed really helpful but I think that that point should be stressed because it is super important and a lot of the new wave of EV trainers are missing that info because they are only using the super training interface and discovering horde battling and never looking at older game mechanics that are definitive to the process still even though we have it easier and smoother and faster this gen. Hopefully a lot of ppl pick up on this since your guide will be one of the few that mentions the evolution section that I've read since the release of xy.

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I didn't wanna come off like one of those ppl but I read it all the time on the internet and your guide seemed really helpful but I think that that point should be stressed because it is super important and a lot of the new wave of EV trainers are missing that info because they are only using the super training interface and discovering horde battling and never looking at older game mechanics that are definitive to the process still even though we have it easier and smoother and faster this gen. Hopefully a lot of ppl pick up on this since your guide will be one of the few that mentions the evolution section that I've read since the release of xy.

Updates are added.

I always welcome help and advice, if anyone finds a mistake or knows about something I forgot to include, please feel free to let me know :)!

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Ummmm the EVs don't "disappear." They're still there. They never disappear. The stat changes show as you level up in the stat growths. Stop feeding people incorrect information. I EV train all of my Pokemon right after hatching and they have increased stats in EVERY stage of evolution. Terrible information of this caliber makes me so mad.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I just want to say that you're being bias, because only Ekans has animation. :P

Jokes aside, I'd like to thank you for this guide! :D
Goodbye countless hours of spending in the super training arena thingy~

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I just want to say that you're being bias, because only Ekans has animation. :P

Jokes aside, I'd like to thank you for this guide! :D
Goodbye countless hours of spending in the super training arena thingy~

xD yes.. the page where I got the sprites from (bulbapedia<3), for some reason, their Ekans is animated, yet the others aren't :P!

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
You can start EV training your Pokemon at any level, even starting from their birth. The evolution thing does not matter.

I dislike getting Defense EVs from Nosepass because that route is often raining for me. My alternative is in Reflection Cave, which is also a nice hotspot for Defense and Special Defense EVs.
Roggenrola gives 1 Defense EV
Mime Jr gives 1 SpDef EV
Carbink gives 1 Def and 1 SpDef

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
But your stat points will disappear that you could have earned...
When a pkmn evolves its base stats changes. So where as there was a 16 to 24 ish stat point increase in your timid froakies speed when it evolves into frogadier its speed will revert to what a level 16 timid frogadiers speed should be with IVs considered. It will still show your pkmns evs maxed out in super training but they will not have the stat point increase anymore.
You always should only EV a pokemon you want to evolve after it is fully evolved.
This is why we have reset bags and EV Berry's so you can reset once you get it evolved, and smaller less important reasons.
EV training has always been that way.
This is why I neglect super training man, so many ppl are going online thinking they have fully evd pokes and wondering why they are loosing, but Nintendo didn't add the note of the actual reason why you ev. To add specific stat increases to a Pokémon BASE stats.
& it doesn't matter if they are in the same evolution, each pokemon has different base stats & the stat increase doesn't travel over because of the reset upon evolution.
This is completely inaccurate and has never been accurate. Pokemon stats have, for a long time, been recalculated with every level up. As of Gen 5, Pokemon stats are recalculated AFTER EVERY BATTLE. This means that for whatever EVs you have gained at an earlier level, you will always receive your bonuses based on your current level and base stats IVs etc. If they didn't the whole system would be stupid and pointless. Do a little research before posting, you might confuse people.

Bulbapedia on EVs:
Pokémon can now gain effort values from battling even at Level 100, and stats are recalculated at the end of every battle instead of only after leveling up, much like Deoxys in the Generation III games. When a Pokémon is defeated, EVs do not get added until after all experience points have been added (if the Pokémon levels up more than once, the second level it gains will have new EVs calculated into it). If a Pokémon levels up in the middle of a battle, its stats will update assuming there are EVs to add from a previously defeated opponent, but EVs from the opponent that caused it to level up will not be added until after the experience points have been completely added. This entire mechanic was overhauled in Pokémon Black and White Versions 2; EVs are now added before Experience, so if the victorious Pokémon gains enough Experience to level up, its new stats when displayed in battle include the new EVs.
All items and mechanics for effort values remain the same in Generation VI as they were in Generation V, except individual stats now max out at 252 EVs instead of 255.
Generation VI also introduced a new feature called Super Training, which allows the player to increase effort points for each stat individually, or remove all effort points from a Pokémon entirely.

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I dislike getting Defense EVs from Nosepass because that route is often raining for me.

Yes Rain can be annoying as it causes Sweet Scent to fail, but usually what I do when this happens is I'll go EV train the Pokemon's other stat, and generally when I am done with that and return back to the original area, the rain has stopped, if not, could always EV train another Pokemon.

But thanks for the mention of other Horde Locations for those stats.. I will take a look at the Horde Lists again and see if I could find better locations for each where the Rain/Hail/Annoyance chance is minimal.

But unfortunately Horde Battling for Defense in the Reflection Cave is a not a good choice because Roggenrola shows up with Carbink, so If you only wanted to train Defense, you'll end up getting Special Defense stat raises too due to Carbink which could be undesirable.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Step 5. It is usually recommended to initially Level Up and Evolve the Pokemon you want to EV train so that their Base Stats are Maximized prior to EV Training.

You can EV train any Pokemon at any stage and it will work. You do not have to evolve your Pokemon to EV train it.

Also, EV spreads of 252/252/6 are not for every single Pokemon. There are more combinations you can do, for example 252 HP / 72 Def / 60 SpD / 124 Spe can be used and is competitively viable for Dragonite.

Years
I never said the evs disappear. I said they don't disappear.
I've always fully evolved before EV training and did my own expirement with xy upon release to see if anything changed with super training using a skrelp and a evolved dragalge. The stats were different even though both were level 50 and modest and had same IVs although the only diffence was one was evd as skrelp and then evolved and the other as deaglage.
However since ppl wanna be so rude I will delete my other posts

MawChomp

Average Trainer/Breeder
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 26, 2014
Pretty good guide *thumbs up*.

When horde training in DEF EVs I'd go for Terminus cave (Geodudes and Durants) and for SP.DEF in Reflection Cave (Mine Jr.) also in ATK on route 19(IIRC) there are hordes of Weepinbells and sometimes Arboks.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Alternate horde locations can be put in the OP as well:
-Scraggy (Attack) hordes can also be battled in Route 5.
-Mareep (Special Attack) hordes can be battled in Route 12
-Roggenrola (Defense) hordes can be battled in Reflection Cave (this can get annoying due to most, if not all, of the horde members having Sturdy)
-Geodude (Defense) hordes can be battled in Route 18, Terminus Cave and Victory Road. Graveler hordes can also be found in the latter place. Durant hordes can also be found in the former two places.
-Psyduck (Special Attack) hordes can be battled in Route 7.
-Foongus hordes (HP) can be battled Pokemon Village and Routes 20, 16 and 15.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
The Psyduck/Arbok hordes annoy me, especially if all five have Cloud Nine/Intimidate. They're like...stalling the inevitable... -,-

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
Alternate horde locations can be put in the OP as well:
-Scraggy (Attack) hordes can also be battled in Route 5.
-Mareep (Special Attack) hordes can be battled in Route 12
-Roggenrola (Defense) hordes can be battled in Reflection Cave (this can get annoying due to most, if not all, of the horde members having Sturdy)
-Geodude (Defense) hordes can be battled in Route 18, Terminus Cave and Victory Road. Graveler hordes can also be found in the latter place. Durant hordes can also be found in the former two places.
-Psyduck (Special Attack) hordes can be battled in Route 7.
-Foongus hordes (HP) can be battled Pokemon Village and Routes 20, 16 and 15.

As i mentioned above in the OP, even though there are other locations.. unfortunately at some of these locations, the Pokemon are the "uncommon" or "rare" spawns :(.. So in the time we'd waste trying to get enough of the hordes to spawn in those locations, we could of probably finished both EVs using the locations/methods I provided.

Also another issue with those locations is that some of those Pokemon listed Only show up in "Mixed" hordes.. for example: Roggenrola shows up with a Carbink.. so if you were training solely for defense, you'll end up getting undesirable ev stat points in special defense caused by carbink.

or as the reply above pointed out, some Pokemon waste time with annoying back to back to back ability messages (Intimidate/Cloud Nine etc).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 27, 2016
This is very nice and helpful, but since your pokemon gets taught random moves in the daycare, what if you have egg moves on your EV'ed pokemon and you don't them to forget the egg moves?

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
This is very nice and helpful, but since your pokemon gets taught random moves in the daycare, what if you have egg moves on your EV'ed pokemon and you don't them to forget the egg moves?

As I mentioned at the very bottom of my guides:
sorrowdemonica said:
Furthermore, for those of you who are resistant of using Day Care because it will cause your Pokemon to forget Egg Moves which will cause you the need to find/farm Heart Scales for the Move Relearner.. Let me fill you on in a quick method to get many Heart Scales without the need to Farm Pokemon nor Break a single Rock!

Go to: http://www.pokemon-gl.com

Over on the Pokemon GameLink website, you can exchange your accumulated Pokemiles in the Pokemiles shop! You can get Heart Scales for only 100 Pokemiles (Rare Candy for 250).
Short on Pokemiles? Say hello to Wonder Trade!! Open up the Wonder Trade in-game and after 15 minutes of back to back to back random trading, you should have accumulated at least a couple thousand Pokemiles.
Also FYI, all items on the website are cheaper than in-game from the vendor in Lumiose City.
Lastly for those of you who never used the Pokemon-GL Pokemiles shop. After you have purchased the items you wanted, back in-game, save your adventure so that it Syncs with the Game Link. After it has successfully sync'd just walk into any Pokemon Center and you will find a woman waiting for you with your items
1.%20smile.gif
!

So you can just go to the Move Reminder in Dendemille Town (the house next to the stairs) and have them reteach your Pokemon any forgotten move, including forgotten Egg Moves.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 27, 2016
As I mentioned at the very bottom of my guides:

So you can just go to the Move Reminder in Dendemille Town (the house next to the stairs) and have them reteach your Pokemon any forgotten move, including forgotten Egg Moves.

Thanks! Off to EV train while waiting for Bank I go!

Back