• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Rhydon Can Learn Surf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I think I posted something like this a while back, but oh well.

Rhydons horn is reportedly harder than diamond.(Stated in several poke dex entries) How is something that strong created (keep in mind, rhyhorns is not reported to be as strong)? Only immense heat, probably DEEP in the earths crust. Maybe rhyhorns that used to be in caves, or even land, had something environmentally drastic happen, such as an earthquake that made them fall into the earths crust. How did they deal with this drastic event? Evolve. They evolved, to something that now has, not a horn, but a drill. My guess is that the earthquake caused a tsunami(s), obviously flooding the lands, by evolving because of this event, rhydon can now learn surf, and has a drill. Rhydon is said to beable to withstand heats of up to 3,600 degrees. (Stated in several poke dex entries) Which is conveniently a sustainable temp to survive the heat needed to create a material harder than diamond.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Ya know, I've always wondered why Rhydon can learn Surf. Especially since I'm doing a mono-Rock run with a Rhyhorn (soon to be a Rhydon) on my team.

Don't get why Rampardos can Surf too....

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
Rhydon: 120 kg
Dewgong: 120 kg

While it may not be the fastest swimmer, it doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'm not too sure about the evolving thing - that's more something that happens over a long time span by one being born with a defect that helps it survive, and spreading it through breeding over multiple generations that the new offspring survive better than the others without said defect. Unless they were rather lucky, that wouldn't help them with a drastic event. Nor do I think the horn has too much to do with it, personally - they could have been inland.

Tbh there's a fair bit of ifs there. I'd think it's more that even if they are ground/rock types, they can still swim (rhinos can, if you go to youtube there's some videos there). Stuff like Herdier (or at least its final evolution) have little more to do with water than them too for example and can also Surf.

Or going into the 'it's a game' realm, rule of cool. =p

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
Years
I like to think that pokemon somehow have the ability to surf, that is on a surfboard or an item that passes of as one. Totally didn't get that idea from Surfing Pikachu or anything. xD;

180px-Surf_PBR.png

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I'm not too sure about the evolving thing - that's more something that happens over a long time span by one being born with a defect that helps it survive, and spreading it through breeding over multiple generations that the new offspring survive better than the others without said defect. Unless they were rather lucky, that wouldn't help them with a drastic event. Nor do I think the horn has too much to do with it, personally - they could have been inland.

Tbh there's a fair bit of ifs there. I'd think it's more that even if they are ground/rock types, they can still swim (rhinos can, if you go to youtube there's some videos there). Stuff like Herdier (or at least its final evolution) have little more to do with water than them too for example and can also Surf.

Or going into the 'it's a game' realm, rule of cool. =p

Well, Rhydon was the first ever Pokemon, which is why it resembles some sort of dinosaur. Therefore, maybe when that whole meteor thing was happening all the other dinosaurs 'died' except for Rhydon which had to evolve to survive. It was able to evolve quicker because they say Rhydon is one of the most intelligent Pokemon.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well, Rhydon was the first ever Pokemon, which is why it resembles some sort of dinosaur. Therefore, maybe when that whole meteor thing was happening all the other dinosaurs 'died' except for Rhydon which had to evolve to survive. It was able to evolve quicker because they say Rhydon is one of the most intelligent Pokemon.
But certain species don't just evolve quicker than others, at least not significantly so to adapt quickly enough to a short-term event like a meteorite hitting Earth. This is Pokémon I suppose, but... in terms of certain Pokemon having specific traits or abilities, it's unlikely to have cropped up right then and there.

Seems like an odd evolutionary trait to have too - when Rhyhorn are unable to learn the move.

And do they? Hmm... dex entries say they're smarter and show signs of intelligence, but that they also still forget things. And compared to Rhyhorn which is established to be very simple minded... it's a question of how smart they actually are, haha.

Another point comes to mind - they are able to learn Surf, sure... but not naturally. It's only by HM (i.e. via human invention), and given Rhyhorn cannot learn it, it cannot be an egg move either. So I suppose it's only a thing that can be taught to them now, rather than something they know how to do already.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today

I think it was that Rhydon was the first Pokémon designed by Game Freak, not the first Pokémon to exist in nature in the Pokémon world. Pretty sure other Pokémon came first.

Also, where's GhastlyGastly? This is her kind of thing, I think.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Every pokemon trainer needs a pokemon to Rhydon! The only way that I could see rhydon using surf is by using it's hind legs on a surfboard. I think the Nido family could also surf in the older a games as well. We see pikachu surfing, why not rhydon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back