• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Avatar dimensions

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
But seriously, I think that a vertical limit of 240px is very reasonable, however on most standard vBulletin styles, 175px is the width that fits snug as a bug.
Ahh yeah, I just realized that it's like that on the vBulletin Default.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I don't think 240px is too excessive vertically even in standard mode, but 240px is definitely way too much in width because it stretches the postbit in legacy mode.

14e1lr5.png

Do you really think this looks good?

Who says the dimensions have to be square?
The maximum dimensions should be square to harm both Legacy and Standard as little as possible. Or at least less then 240px length to be a bit more fair towards Standard O.o There is no one saying your own avatar needs to fill out the maximum dimensions. If you want a non-square avatar, by all means make it a bit less tall or a bit less wide.

Or just get rid of one of the postbit style options. Risk upsetting a huge number of people, but get rid of this particular problem.

Of course, perhaps I am the only member with a true dislike for big avatars, in that case I'll just have to use Modern (thanks for making me realize that btw!) or live with it I guess ;p

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
14e1lr5.png

Do you really think this looks good?

The maximum dimensions should be square to harm both Legacy and Standard as little as possible. Or at least less then 240px length to be a bit more fair towards Standard O.o There is no one saying your own avatar needs to fill out the maximum dimensions. If you want a non-square avatar, by all means make it a bit less tall or a bit less wide.

Or just get rid of one of the postbit style options. Risk upsetting a huge number of people, but get rid of this particular problem.

Of course, perhaps I am the only member with a true dislike for big avatars, in that case I'll just have to use Modern (thanks for making me realize that btw!) or live with it I guess ;p

Damn, I guess you're right. I've only ever used the Legacy postbit, so... o_O';

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
As a proposal to make it fair to those of us who donated for our perks, I suggest a 150x150 limit for moderators and 170x170 (or 175x175) limit for H-Staff (with the exception of Steve, who knows better than to stretch the postbit). This is more than fair in my opinion. What do you think?
I'm almost sure Steve has the record for consistently using the largest avatars on PC of all time.

Either way, this is actually going to staff discussion now, and we're going to iron it out as best we can, however if avatars were too wide, I'd have an issue. But they're not. You have unlimited vertical scrolling space, and what you're talking about here is chopping off about 20 or so pixels in some cases. Which takes me about 0.02 seconds to scroll through. This is something I actually do worry about all the time though, avatar sizes and so on, as I've studied web design for several years, so I appreciate your concern. I've just gone ahead an suggested a 200px x 200px size, as maximum, for any usergroup however. That's actually fairly non-intrusive, unless you're running a resolution of a potato.

We'll let you know what our final decision is. Feel free to add suggestions/feedback still however, we'll keep an eye on the thread all the same.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
The huge Staff Avvies actually look really terrible on the Regular Default Post-Bit setting. But that's just my perspective. In general I have no problems with Staff having huge avvies, they deserve it after all. :)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I never really cared about avatar size so I guess it's not that important.

But I feel that 240x240 is no problem at all since a mod gets a perk for being a mod. H-Staff might stretch limits sometimes, but not that really I care. I use standard postbit usually and the vertical avatars fail to bother me. Since 130x130 is an awkward maximum size (150x150 seems less awkward because multiple of 50), I usually use 100x100 or 96x96. If it ever creeps my internet, I'll disable them. No big deal.

Wouldn't all these extensions add load to the server? idk

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020

Rukario

Banned
Years
just a note, we do reconsider avatar sizes as well as image file sizes from time to time based on community input.

We'll be doing this again shortly after we move to the new server so perhaps post up a few suggestions on sizes for each user group as well as files sizes you all would like to have available for your use.

wait..
who said I use the biggest avatars on PC?
hmm...

Years
Okay, better math. Now resizes to 150 instead of 50% of original size.

Okay I know I'm bumping this but I just decided to enable the resizing because two mods (Shining Raichu and XanderO) have avatars that were so huge they were breaking the postbit (I use Standard fyi), and the result turned out to still be 50% of the original size and not 150x150 as you said there.

Just pointing this out because this was the result I got on my end.

Back