• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You're*

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
Years
  • I ignore it unless I see it within a story someone has written, either published or unpublished. I believe if you're writing something in order to tell a story, or teach someone, then you should be trying your hardest to use correct spelling and grammar. If you're just chatting though, I don't care. It makes for a boring conversation if you're correcting them all the time.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I suppose so, yeah. I'm more irritated at grammar mistakes than I am at spelling. Simple things like you're/your, there/they're/their, that people makes mistakes with when using them get on my nerves a bit. (But hey we all make mistakes; I've made a few stupid mistakes at times as well.)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Oh sweet Jesus yes. I'll never comment upon it unless it would be rude not to, but grammatical mistakes will often eat me up inside. It's and its; your and you're, there/their/they're, misplaced apostrophes in general (it's '70s NOT 70's!), all of these drive me absolutely categorically insane. I worked as an editor for my uni newspaper and most of my role was explaining to 20-year-olds and older how to write properly. Even in my current job, I'm often aghast at the amount of bad grammar I have to correct when proofreading documents and the like. In those cases, I'll comment upon it (and often very satisfyingly in red pen!), but if there's just random instances of bad grammar online, I'll just hold my tongue and die a little inside. It's healthier, that way!

outfox

in
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2013
    Only if a person asks for my criticism or if I notice something written for the public to read with incorrect spelling/grammar. I never bother to in casual conversation. I do feel that pointing out errors is courteous, but rarely do people do so without being condescending.

Years
  • I used to be someone that would try to correct at least certain grammatical errors - you're/your, they're/their, stuff like that. Things like capitalization, not so much since at least whenever I'm just chatting I know I tend to ignore stuff like that.

I've more or less stopped because I figured: I guess I don't really care that much. Yeah, those errors will still drive me crazy when reading them, but unless someone's actually looking for feedback then randomly pointing it out probably won't change much (plus there's the thing of I'd feel like like a slight jerk for doing so). As long as I can get the basic meaning of someone's sentence, and it's not something that requires formal grammar, I'll tend to just tolerate it then.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I don't like to harp on people for it as much anymore, especially on the internet because sometimes people are in a rush and while they might spell things write and be a fine verbalist (sentence/word structure as a whole) they won't always double check for such minor grammatical errors such as a missing or misplaced apostrophe/comma. I do it sometimes, and while I might find it later, I'm just like any other person and shouldn't be griped at.

Years
  • I wouldn't really correct someone's grammar but yes, I'm really fussy about it. Seeing someone use "your" for "you are" and especially "it's" for possession bothers me a lot. But like some others said, it's really not a big deal since everyone makes mistakes and some people rush when they type, so yeah. That and I'm not the best writer in the world myself haha.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • When I see someone use improper grammar, I just have the urge to correct them, but I don't lol. But they DO have some occasion that I do :P

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    No, I dont correct other people's grammar, that's not my job, its a person's responisbility to use correct grammar and Im not going to point out their mistakes. I dont like it when people do this to me either. I try to use proper grammar and spelling, but I think that's my call to correct my own mistakes.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm a bit tolerant on grammar, sometimes I'd correct the person, and sometimes I won't and just be lenient about it. HOWEVER, I am very, very, very sensitive with spelling mistakes. If someone spells a word wrong, I twitch a little and tell the person to spell it correctly.

My pet peeve is the too/to/two...I know a few peeps that use it the wrong way. :(

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I make grammar mistakes sometimes too even though I know the difference, so I understand. I don't bite someone out for using the wrong form of your. I think people who do that take things just a little too seriously. Though, I can't stand reading text messages when someone can't spell, so I guess I draw the line somewhere.

Years
  • When I was around twelve or so, yeah, I used to be anal about grammar. Nowadays? I don't care as long as I can understand the poster. I think correcting someone's grammar is incredibly impolite and inappropriate. Life is way too short to fret upon such things, no?

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
    Years
  • I only correct people's grammar when I know them very well for the fun of it xD. But when I don't really know them, I just ignore them cause they'll probably think I'm a Grammar Nazi. :3 But in mistakes where people get wrong in that I get wrong in as well, I won't bother to correct them.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    Darn. I was about to start a topic about grammar when I saw this.

I often correct people with spelling and grammar. I don't like it when people get the their and there mixed up. Same goes with the your and you're. I know sometimes it's rude, but it's for there their own good.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    I'm fussy about my grammar. I'll be quick to edit a post if I see something that I said or spelled incorrectly, and during conversation I'll also correct something if I slip up. But when it comes to other people, I don't worry about it. As long as it's legible/comprehensible, it doesn't bother me if they use correct grammar or not.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm a grammar Nazi and I used to correct people all the time, but people started to get annoyed with me and I decided I'd rather have friends who like me than friends who can spell properly :P

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
  • Grammar mistakes bug me so much, it's hard for me to not point them out. One thing I've noticed is that people used to say "your" instead of "you're", but now people are starting to say "you're" in place of "your". Like "Where is you're cat?" WHAT? I AM CAT?
    THAT MAKES ME CRINGE. It's like they don't understand that "your" and "you're" are both correct depending on the context. I literally wanna reach through the computer screen and slap them.

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
    Years
  • I suppose so, yeah. I'm more irritated at grammar mistakes than I am at spelling. Simple things like you're/your, there/they're/their, that people makes mistakes with when using them get on my nerves a bit. (But hey we all make mistakes; I've made a few stupid mistakes at times as well.)

Pretty much this. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi myself that hearing incorrect grammar actually hurts my ears. Like seriously. -.- Not saying that mine is perfect, because it's not, but still... :|

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    considering i make billions of grammar mistakes every day it would be pot calling kettle black if i dared to correct anyone on their grammar lmao
    the only times i do so are when i'm trying to tease them or annoy them lol

Back