• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pocket Monsters and Pokemon

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
Years
  • I only have one thing to say that I've always thought about. The Japanese call it Pocket Monsters, two English words; but, the American/English dubbed version uses the word Pokemon...as does all other languages dubbing it, also. Well, the Japanese say Pokemon a lot, too. I just thought it was kind of odd why we never used the title Pocket Monsters. Ash's voice sounds more boyish in Pocket Monsters than in Pokemon. It's so kawaii...! *shrugs and runs away*

Years
  • Pocket Monsters and Pokemon is the same, Pocket Monsters is just the english name for Pokemon, while Pokemon is the japanese one.

Purin

Crazy about Pink Hairdos
    Years
  • They are the same, only that Pokemon is a short-form.
    If you meant English and Japanese series of Pokemon, I noticed that in the 2nd movie (Japanese) there isn't much sound in some exciting moments. I think the Dubbed one might be a little different in this aspect.

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
  • *face faults and screams at Avatar and Purin* I know that they're both the same, thank you! I just never knew why the Americans never used what the Japanese title is, Pocket Monsters, if it was already in English, to phrase my statement better. Maybe they just prefered Pokemon since Digimon (Digital Monsters) had the same concept. Whatever the case was, I'm just very picky when it comes to titling things...>_<

Years
  • Sayuri no Hoshi said:
    *face faults and screams at Avatar and Purin* I know that they're both the same, thank you! I just never knew why the Americans never used what the Japanese title is, Pocket Monsters, if it was already in English, to phrase my statement better. Maybe they just prefered Pokemon since Digimon (Digital Monsters) had the same concept. Whatever the case was, I'm just very picky when it comes to titling things...>_<

Heh, but i was referring my post to the Imakunis? post though, sorry if it sounded different.

Dont have to scream @_@

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Here's one difference, evertho they're the same! In Pocket Monsters, they say Pok?mon. But in Pok?mon they never call them Pocket Monsters. o_O

Kenta-kun

&#27515;&#31070;
    Years
    Pocket Monsters and Pokemon is the same, Pocket Monsters is just the english name for Pokemon, while Pokemon is the japanese one.
    You got it mixed up there. Every title for the TV show, every logo for the games says (in Katakana) "Poketsuto Montsutah" which roughly translates as Pocket Monsters. While the word "Pokemon" is almost always used in the games (haven't seen any Japanese episodes or movies), it would seem that Pocket Monsters is the official Japanese title.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • The Japanese is called Pocket Monsters (Advanced Generation) but everyone in the show is using the word Pok?mon. I think it is because of the same reason why people are using shorts like "ppl", "w8", "cyl" to refer to words/phrases like "people", "wait" and "see you later". The narrator in the Japanese Pok?mon movie always starts the intro by saying the line "Pocket Monsters, or Pok?mon for short".
    I believe I've once read an article that 4Kids didn't called it "Pocket Monsters" because some toy product already used that name.

Besides the title there are some (usually) small and significant difference in both series (unlike Yu-Gi-Oh!). Movies sometimes tend to get edited, scene's cut/add-on etc etc. Wheter 4Kids should make these changes is off-topic, I'm just pointing out that they exist.

orange*berry

Has catching up to do...
    Years
  • Unown_ said:
    I believe I've once read an article that 4Kids didn't called it "Pocket Monsters" because some toy product already used that name.

It was called 'Monster in My Pocket', not 'Pocket Monsters'.

Anyway, with Japanese rules, it's spelled Poketto Monsutaa. The first four letters of 'poketto' and the first three letters of 'monsutaa' form 'Pokemon'. Simple enough. =3

Pokemon gives me a headache, though. x.x() Haven't watched more than a few times, which is why I don't know anything about the English version. ._.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Oct 11, 2014
    Pokemon & Pocket Monsters are worlds apart...

Anybody who says that "Pokemon" and "Pocket Monsters" are the same thing has obviously never seen one of these shows...in fact the difference can be expressed in two words:

Matsumoto Rika.

But to go into it more deeply (and prolly stir a lot of argument >_<)

The word Pokemon is a portmanteau of the words Pocket Monsters. Someone mentioend that the Japanese say the word Pokemon a lot...well of course, this is what the monsters themselves are called. The mosnters are rarely called "pocket monsters" in the show. Pocket Monsters is pretty much just the title of the show/comic/game/&c now.

The shows are really very different. The Japanese show is targeted towards a broader age range and contains lots of humeous puns and satire, whereas the American show is in general a little more childish and doesn't have the brand of humour that Pocket Monsters (jp.) has.

Also the voice acting and music and singing in Pocket Monsters is really beyond excellent in every way and incomparable to the American version which 'showcases' the arguable lack of talent of Rachael Lillis. Really the person who pull anything off are Veronica Taylor.

Yeah I bet I seem really bigoted but after watching this show for years I can honestly say that nothing compares to it, and that includes the American version. Everytime I see a commerical for some dubbed movie I sorta groan...for me at least, the American version of the show takes teh poetry and magic out of Pocket Monsters. This gets more and more obvious as time goes on.

Frankly I don't see how anybody who has not seen Pocket Monsters or cannot understand it can really compare these shows. I have seen a dub of the first movie, Myuustuu no gyakushuu and the differences are innumerable. The entire script is totally dumbed down to a level of banal childishness in my opinion wherease the original is very deep and emotional.

Pokemon has grown to be a very different show than Pocket monsters even though they started out being fiarly similar. They both have their merit, but if you take out the poetry, the humor, the matsumoto, I don't see a whole lot left to the show.

Just my opinions... >_< :dead:

Years
  • the japanese movie Myuustuu no gyakushuu has more than the american movie. it deducts pokemon to a load of violence. the original movie had a whole part of myuustuu being created by God . Pm is alot deeper than Pokemon because Pokemon is all stupid pun titles. Where the Japanese site has a lot more to it *plus good music and voicing!

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • Pocket Monsters and Pokemon are both the Japanese name of the thing.
    But Pokcet Monsters is not English.

In Pokemon Ierukana? there is a sentence, "Poketto Monsutaa chizimede Pokemon!" Which means, Pocket Monsters, in short, Pokemon!

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • Pocket Monsters: Advanced Generation is the Japanese version of the English dub called Pok?mon: Advanced.

Although both versions are the same in general, besides the 4Kids edits. I prefer the Japanese one.

Back