• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The future of Video Gaming?

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
Years
Just out of curiosity.
After reading an article on how "virtual reality" games are getting back in style, and are becoming more and more improved I was wondering what video games will be like 5, 10, even 20 years from now.

I think that virtual reality will start becoming popular in upcoming years, as graphics are getting better, and technology is becoming more advanced.

What do you think?

Naturalistick

Used to do a little.
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2008
I'm really skeptical about video gaming progress and graphics.

You know, I'm pretty sure the day 'Graphics' get totally realistic, it'll stop being fun. It'll be way too similar to real life. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I think it'll be.

New forms of gameplay will pop-up with time. Back some years ago, Arcade would approach many types of playing, but mainly 2-D Platformers. With time it involved, now you can distinguish between FPS, RPGs, Platforms, etc etc.

Naturalistick

Used to do a little.
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2008
But also, with the introductions of better graphics, you can get more out-of-this-world.

While that may be true, imagine the following scenario:

You're playing a game, let's take this literally for instance, in a place out of this world, out in space for instance.
The object of the game: Destroy x number of enemies.

Can you imagine if Graphics were so realistic that you'd confound an in-game character with a real person? Would you 'shoot', 'kill' (virtually) this 'person' the same way? It'd probably shock you for the level of realism, and that's what I'm trying to say.

New types of games will be created to hopefully avoid this.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
Years
I'm sure that in twenty years or so computer graphics will be indistinguishable from real life. However, there will probably be some sort of restriction on the level of realism in games. Of course they will still have games like Pokemon that will still have cartoony graphics, etc., but games like GTA will have much better graphics, and thus will probably have to be toned down a bit.

Most games will probably have a lot of multiplayer and online integration (Pokemon MMORPG ftw!). I imagine a future Pokemon game where you would buy the game first and it comes with standard regions and Pokemon like we have now, but when a new game comes out, instead of buying a whole new unit you would just download it and install it like an expansion pack. It would be fun to have a Pokemon game with every region and that you could add more regions to.

Also, all games will probably be downloaded instead of buying it at places like Gamestop, unless it requires a special controller like Guitar Hero.

I doubt there will be games that make you literally feel like you are in the game. I wouldn't wan't to play anything like that, it gives me the chills.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
While that may be true, imagine the following scenario:

You're playing a game, let's take this literally for instance, in a place out of this world, out in space for instance.
The object of the game: Destroy x number of enemies.

Can you imagine if Graphics were so realistic that you'd confound an in-game character with a real person? Would you 'shoot', 'kill' (virtually) this 'person' the same way? It'd probably shock you for the level of realism, and that's what I'm trying to say.

New types of games will be created to hopefully avoid this.

WOW! I never thought of that. I guess the Dictionary's definition of "Law" is outdated now and "Government" 's definition is now it's antonym definition!

Come one. Of course there will be laws to prevent this. I mean look at a realistic version of Super Mario Br-...

You know what? Never mind, I don't want realistic graphics anymore -_-'

Mitchman

Banned
Years
Oh splatting the brown thing so a large pool of blood ends up on the floor? It be super bloody brothers!
Or worse imagine a realistic looking smash bros. That there would be disturbing as link would be chopping heads off of everyone!

Fate Falls

Pokémon Researcher
Years
Already in [working] development is a headset that you use rather than a controller to play console games. The headset is fully capable of reading your thoughts, so you literally control your character with your mind. I can't wait to try it out!

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I don't want realistic graphics. I like it when the game has a creative look and feel. I'm all for the power and lighting effects, but I have no desire whatsoever to play a movie.

Zet

Years
I'm really skeptical about video gaming progress and graphics.

You know, I'm pretty sure the day 'Graphics' get totally realistic, it'll stop being fun. It'll be way too similar to real life. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I think it'll be.

one day graphics will be higher quality than real life, when that day comes, much joy will be brought to the world

Azzurra

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 3, 2013
Games will probably get more advanced eventually, but not at the moment.
The 360 and PS3 is pretty advanced for our time, so just imagine what it will be like in 20 or 30 years.

But for now they'll probably stick at trying to make graphics more realistic for consoles such as the Wii, PS3 and 360, instead of inventing new consoles.

But I'd say in about 5 years or so, you'll see a new line of Playstation, Nintendo and XBox consoles.

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
one day graphics will be higher quality than real life, when that day comes, much joy will be brought to the world

^That can never happen, if you're not out of your minds. Graphics can only get as good as real life.

In my opinion, some games SHOULD retain the graphics they have now, and be played in handhelds. Some other, specially GTA, should be released with almost real-life-like graphics and be played in a virtual reality system, where something reads your mind, or maybe movements. Alright, maybe the mind reading was too much...

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
^That can never happen, if you're not out of your minds. Graphics can only get as good as real life.

In my opinion, some games SHOULD retain the graphics they have now, and be played in handhelds. Some other, specially GTA, should be released with almost real-life-like graphics and be played in a virtual reality system, where something reads your mind, or maybe movements. Alright, maybe the mind reading was too much...

Grand Theft Auto, Mind Reading, hot girls...

Yeah. My money would be for that :). Unless there was excess gore.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Lol @ the thread's majority...
Just because people could make 3-D games with graphics that put the real world to shame doesn't mean anime games won't still have anime people in them, 2-D games won't not have low-resolution sprites any more, and so forth.
It just means Call of Duty 10 will look awesome.

In fifty years you could be staring at real-life-like graphics, but in HD or something.
You never know until it happens... :D

First though we'll have to make our game models with quarks... lol. I doubt it'd happen any time near our lifetimes.

Last edited:
Back